Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 622
  1. #76
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Minor upgrades to Nano

    I stopped by http://www.counterbalancebicycles.com after work yesterday and picked up the following:

    - blackburn competition cage
    - sunlite toe straps
    - all city nylon double toe clip medium black (just pull the front reflector off the stock pedals and they fit fine)
    - planet bike eco rack - aluminum

    Rode 8 miles into work today, I was paranoid about getting a flat so I left the tires super under-inflated. Combined with a strong headwind out of the south, I got a nice workout and a slow ride in. Very nice riding bike though, frame really absorbed the bumpy pavement on the burke gilman trail and going over a couple curbs. Handling is quick but stable, oddly somewhat reminiscent of my old short wheelbase recumbent. I still need to look at the crank and get the rim strips, adjust the rear derailleur (if I can figure out how). I am fine with the stock brake levers and brake pads. Really an extremely good value bike overall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #77
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Big Dummy, 1970 Schwinn Continental, Dahon Speed TR, Bianchi Via Nirone
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanF View Post
    You should try Greenspeed Scorcher. Forum member Vik wrote a review of them and they're my favorite tire. The Bike Friday folder community raves about them!
    Does anyone have a source for the previous Scorchers without the hideous checker pattern on the side? I've been trying to make up my mind about tires since the bike arrived and would go with the Scorchers if I could get them in just plain black.

  3. #78
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Big Dummy, 1970 Schwinn Continental, Dahon Speed TR, Bianchi Via Nirone
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdp36 View Post

    Rode 8 miles into work today, I was paranoid about getting a flat so I left the tires super under-inflated. Combined with a strong headwind out of the south, I got a nice workout and a slow ride in. Very nice riding bike though, frame really absorbed the bumpy pavement on the burke gilman trail and going over a couple curbs. Handling is quick but stable, oddly somewhat reminiscent of my old short wheelbase recumbent. I still need to look at the crank and get the rim strips, adjust the rear derailleur (if I can figure out how). I am fine with the stock brake levers and brake pads. Really an extremely good value bike overall.
    Nice! Is the pannier squished like that due to heel clearance issues?

  4. #79
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I think I just didn't cinch the pannier down tight enough with the top closure. My heel did hit the pannier once when I first got on the bike, but it might have been I was in the process of sliding my foot into the pedal/clip/strap. I did not notice any further contact after that.

  5. #80
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Big Dummy, 1970 Schwinn Continental, Dahon Speed TR, Bianchi Via Nirone
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdp36 View Post
    No, I think I just didn't cinch the pannier down tight enough with the top closure. My heel did hit the pannier once when I first got on the bike, but it might have been I was in the process of sliding my foot into the pedal/clip/strap. I did not notice any further contact after that.
    Sweet, glad to hear it. A rack is on my upgrade list but clearance was a question.

  6. #81
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should qualify my statement about clearance with the panniers (mine are older Ortleib ones), turns out you do need to push them as far back as possible. On the rack I purchased this makes it so the rear pannier hook that holds the pannier to the diagonal rack brace doesn't quite attach. Not a problem for my commute, but maybe for longer trips or light loads.

    Also I got a flat on the way home after pumping my tires up to proper pressure (maybe over). Was only a mile from http://www.recycledcycles.com/ and was able to purchase some velox tape and patch the tire. Glad one of the mechanics removed the tire for me -- its not easy!

  7. #82
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rdp36 View Post
    Also I got a flat on the way home after pumping my tires up to proper pressure (maybe over). Was only a mile from http://www.recycledcycles.com/ and was able to purchase some velox tape and patch the tire. Glad one of the mechanics removed the tire for me -- its not easy!
    I really don't know why this bike doesn't ship with cloth rim tape. The failure rate of the cheap rubber strip is incredibly high, and I'm sure Bikesdirect knows it. The Performance-branded Velox tape only cost my $6, at-cost is probably less than $3. Would it really have killed sales of the bike if they added $3 to the price tag, as opposed to inconveniencing the customer?

  8. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just finished complete disassembly down to the last bolt and reassembly. Adjusting the headset and hubs was key. I added Primo Comets (1.5"), old Shimano 600 aero levers and Nitto rando bars. I was initially ho-hum about the bike but the ride is about a million times better now. Just need a Velo Orange threadless stem adapter and a proper length stem and I'll be all set! (Well, I need to figure out fenders too...)

  9. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, I was a mile away from Recycled when my tube blew too! I guess there are at least two Nanos in Seattle now.

    In lieu of a rack I think I'm just going to use a big saddlebag and an old Rivendell Hobo front bag; should be plenty of carrying capacity.

  10. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,722
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't find the checkered pattern greatly distracting. Besides, its good for road visibility, especially at night. I find the Scorcher the perfect compromise tire in that its fast and it provides enough comfort to make the small wheel size a tolerable ride, unlike with a thinner tire.

  11. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,722
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Panaracer is an excellent brand.

    The mini velo frame is actually decent but to get that price point, some corners had to be cut, especially with the brakes and bars. Upgrading those can get you a very nice bike!

  12. #87
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And with a new seatpost in place, I can finally say I'm done upgrading, and look forward to spending more time riding the bike than I do tinkering with it:







    Recap of upgrades:

    Drivetrain
    Brev.M 165mm cranks
    Origin8 54T flat chainring
    Surly 15T single-speed cog
    Fibonacci spacer kit
    Gusset Squire chain tensioner
    KMC 3/32" half-link
    Shadow Conspiracy Ravager pedals
    Tramp Straps pedal straps
    Jagwire Comp brake pads
    Panaracer Minits Tough 20x1.25 tires

    Cockpit
    Charge Spoon saddle
    Kalloy Laprade 29.2 seatpost
    Tektro R100A brake levers
    Origin8 Classic Road stem







  13. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great.
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  14. #89
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno, Mercier Mini Velo Nano, 99' Haro Cyclocross
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I've been trying to remove the bottom bracket from my nano. I was able to get the non-drive side cup out fine, but the drive-side was near impossible without a huge breaker bar. I was eventually able to get it off, and found that there was no grease (the reason why it was so difficult to get it off). I plan on replacing the bottom bracket and crankset tonight, and just wanted to give people a heads up.

  15. #90
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clanke01 View Post
    So, I've been trying to remove the bottom bracket from my nano. I was able to get the non-drive side cup out fine, but the drive-side was near impossible without a huge breaker bar. I was eventually able to get it off, and found that there was no grease (the reason why it was so difficult to get it off). I plan on replacing the bottom bracket and crankset tonight, and just wanted to give people a heads up.
    Thanks - can someone confirm the appropriate tool for removing the bottom bracket? I've worked a lot on cars, but never had to open the bottom bracket on a bike.

    Would this be it? : http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Shim...6725641&sr=8-1
    Last edited by punkgeek; 05-29-11 at 09:21 PM.

  16. #91
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno, Mercier Mini Velo Nano, 99' Haro Cyclocross
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the tool I used. Remember that the thread is backwards on the drive-side I found an excellent deal on a sora crankset, so I installed an external bearing bottom bracket. Once I got the stock bottom bracket out and added some grease, the installation went smoothly.

  17. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still have a couple of upgrades to go like a new stem and seat post




    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  18. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, SF California
    My Bikes
    Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
    Posts
    1,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynocoaster View Post
    still have a couple of upgrades to go like a new stem and seat post




    nice...

  19. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,072
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I rode it yesterday and it is a kick to ride. When I start getting regular work again I would like to get a Big Shot and put a SA 3 speed on it. I think you would have fun with one of these.
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  20. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    57
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking of going the internal hub route, too, I wonder if this wheel kit would work?

    http://www.utahtrikes.com/PRODINFO-S...Wheel_Kit.html

  21. #96
    Junior Member 762x54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hub spacing and axle diameter look correct. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

  22. #97
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 762x54 View Post
    Hub spacing and axle diameter look correct. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    (...after you peel off the stickers on the braking surface...)

  23. #98
    Junior Member 762x54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lower Alabama
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They appear to be automatic peeling stickers that will be removed at the first brake application. LOL.

  24. #99
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    814
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themothman421 View Post
    I was thinking of going the internal hub route, too, I wonder if this wheel kit would work?

    http://www.utahtrikes.com/PRODINFO-S...Wheel_Kit.html
    Interesting. I'd like to know what the chainline measurement is and how much the wheel weighs.

  25. #100
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift View Post
    I really don't know why this bike doesn't ship with cloth rim tape. The failure rate of the cheap rubber strip is incredibly high, and I'm sure Bikesdirect knows it. The Performance-branded Velox tape only cost my $6, at-cost is probably less than $3. Would it really have killed sales of the bike if they added $3 to the price tag, as opposed to inconveniencing the customer?
    What else cheap on the bike should be replaced...? And still keep it under $300? As it is, adding that cloth tape would push it over $300... Corners get cut on price-point bikes, rim tape is one of them.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •