Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Bikesdirect Mini Velo upgrade thread (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/735211-bikesdirect-mini-velo-upgrade-thread.html)

james_swift 05-31-11 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NormanF (Post 12705848)
Panaracer is an excellent brand.

No doubt about that, but after the 2nd flat due to glass puncture just last weekend, I've resigned the tires and concluded that fast, feather-weight tires and urban streets simply do not mix.

Now that I'm back on the 65psi/100psi (front/back) Kenda Kwest tires, I'm really noticing the rolling resistance and rotational weight. The Panaracers are road scorchers by comparison, but the fastest tires in the world won't make any difference when you're slowing down for every bump and rail car track, or stuck on the side of the road having a wrestling match with a tire that is reluctant to be unmounted. :p

punkgeek 06-07-11 10:02 PM

Does anyone know the length of the stock stem on this bike? I'm thinking about swapping mine for something longer.

rcnute 06-07-11 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkgeek (Post 12755768)
Does anyone know the length of the stock stem on this bike? I'm thinking about swapping mine for something longer.

90mm.

nerobro 06-08-11 11:52 AM

Well, I got mine. And I did my first "upgrade". Which was making the brake pads actually touch the rims.

http://www.practicalalchemy.org/~ner...ierNano_04.JPG

I already bought a threadless adapter. And I have bars to put on it. I need to decide what size stem to use.

How light have you guys gotten the bike down to?

hubcap 06-09-11 10:36 AM

Has anyone got a set of fenders on one yet?

Kabir 06-09-11 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcap (Post 12762828)
Has anyone got a set of fenders on one yet?

There seems to be enough clearance to put a set of fenders on, such as planet bike 20". However, the caliper brake uses recessed nut. To put the fenders on in a perfect way, you need Sheldon fender nuts.

I just learned that the hard way after messing with my bike and fenders for an hour.

martinus 06-12-11 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerobro (Post 12758158)
Well, I got mine. And I did my first "upgrade". Which was making the brake pads actually touch the rims.

http://www.practicalalchemy.org/~ner...ierNano_04.JPG

I already bought a threadless adapter. And I have bars to put on it. I need to decide what size stem to use.

How light have you guys gotten the bike down to?

Is that the, 48 or the 53 ? ... what was worng with the brakes ? cable tension issue ? ... or the pads where too low in the caliper...

rcnute 06-12-11 12:30 PM

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the bolts on the stock brake levers leave deep gouges in the bar when the clamp is tightened. I swapped mine out for Cane Creeks.

martinus 06-12-11 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcnute (Post 12777011)
Not sure if this has been mentioned but the bolts on the stock brake levers leave deep gouges in the bar when the clamp is tightened. I swapped mine out for Cane Creeks.

I don't really see a problem there ... the handlebar *might* be a little on the soft side. As long as the levers dont slide down, who cares ... its all under the bar tape, no?

james_swift 06-12-11 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcnute (Post 12777011)
Not sure if this has been mentioned but the bolts on the stock brake levers leave deep gouges in the bar when the clamp is tightened. I swapped mine out for Cane Creeks.

Noticed the same when I changed-out my brake levers for Tektros.

rcnute 06-12-11 06:41 PM

All things being equal I'd rather not have deep gouges in an aluminum bar if only for safety.

NormanF 06-12-11 09:46 PM

Tektro R365 brakes are solid on a mini velo. Standard Shimano BL R770 brakes will work with that brakeset. And the price isn't too bad for the quality and safety you're buying for your bike.

nerobro 06-13-11 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martinus (Post 12776989)
Is that the, 48 or the 53 ? ... what was worng with the brakes ? cable tension issue ? ... or the pads where too low in the caliper...

The pads cleared the rim due to being to low on the caliper arms. Most bikes come with that at least vaguely adjusted right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcnute (Post 12777011)
Not sure if this has been mentioned but the bolts on the stock brake levers leave deep gouges in the bar when the clamp is tightened. I swapped mine out for Cane Creeks.

If the bolt is to long. Trim the bolt.

Kabir 06-13-11 03:00 PM

For folks who are still using the stock brake levers, I notice that my right lever's QR pin holder is plastic and it is broken on arrival. It still stops the lever when released but off a bit. It is just a matter of time before the holder is completely broken. I am upgrading them 'cause I need a set of small hand levers anyway. Why didn't them put on a small version on small frame?

cedar_lake 06-14-11 10:39 AM

All right- I ordered my Nano today (Black, big size) and I can't imagine it will stay stock for long. Anybody thought about building a 406 wheel with an ENO hub for fixie fun?

james_swift 06-14-11 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cedar_lake (Post 12786253)
Anybody thought about building a 406 wheel with an ENO hub for fixie fun?

I think about it all the time, but every time I take out my fixed sub-19lb Xootr Swift for a ride, I begin to have serious doubts as to how fun a ~24lb fixed-gear Nano would be.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=206323

If only the frame were a lot lighter. :(

Dynocoaster 06-14-11 05:30 PM

How much would it cost to have a wheel built like that?

hubcap 06-15-11 09:41 AM

Count me among those that experienced a flat on their first real ride on this bike.

I tooled around on the bike in the driveway a bit previously, but last night was the first time I took it out for a real ride. I flatted a couple miles from my house. I knew of this issue that others have had and even ordered some rim tape that should be arriving tomorrow, but I risked it anyway and it bit me.

I was in a hurry to get somewhere and grabbed the bike without much thought (and without a flat repair kit). I was only going a few miles, right? Needless to say, I was late for where I was going since I went ahead and walked the rest of the way there and ended up walking the whole way home late last night. :-(

I have not had a chance to inspect the wheel yet, but I presume it is most likely the exposed spoke nipple issue.

james_swift 06-15-11 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubcap (Post 12791159)
Count me among those that experienced a flat on their first real ride on this bike.

You've just completed your initiation process. Welcome to the wonderful world of Nano ownership. ;)

james_swift 06-15-11 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynocoaster (Post 12788220)
How much would it cost to have a wheel built like that?

The custom 406 fixed-gear wheel I had built for my Swift by Wheelsmith cost $250, and that was with a $30 Surly track hub. The Eno hub retails anywhere from $160 to $180. So to answer your question, more than the cost of the bike itself.:lol:

Kabir 06-15-11 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james_swift (Post 12791202)
You've just completed your initiation process. Welcome to the wonderful world of Nano ownership. ;)

Thanks to the warnings, I skipped this process entirely. My rim tape came after my bike and I didn't even dare to ride out far before it came. :)

cedar_lake 06-15-11 01:10 PM

Quote:

I think about it all the time, but every time I take out my fixed sub-19lb Xootr Swift for a ride, I begin to have serious doubts as to how fun a ~24lb fixed-gear Nano would be.
Yeah I'm always on the lookout for a cheap(er) swift but haven't found what I was looking for yet. I decided a nano in the stable for now is better than no small-wheel fun at all!

nerobro 06-15-11 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabir (Post 12791849)
Thanks to the warnings, I skipped this process entirely. My rim tape came after my bike and I didn't even dare to ride out far before it came. :)

So I should go buy some cloth rim tape eh? :-) I'll be buying a new stem tonight too.

Kabir 06-15-11 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerobro (Post 12792640)
So I should go buy some cloth rim tape eh? :-) I'll be buying a new stem tonight too.

$5-6 for even just saving one flat, I would say it is well worthy it. The stock tape is quite narrow and slippery. No wonder it moves around. Now, the weather is warm. Removing the tires is quite easy.

clanke01 06-15-11 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerobro (Post 12792640)
So I should go buy some cloth rim tape eh? :-) I'll be buying a new stem tonight too.

Which stem(s) are you looking at? I've been looking around too.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 AM.