Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Just ordered my new Downtube Nova!

    I'm very excited. I am starting grad school this September and I will need it to go back and forth to class. I really don't feel comfortable locking up my bike, so a folder seemed the perfect solution.

    Quick question: How does the Nova handle in the snow? I don't intend to ride it during a blizzard, but I'm from the East Coast and there will be snow on the ground in winter...will that be an issue?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass88 View Post
    I'm very excited. I am starting grad school this September and I will need it to go back and forth to class. I really don't feel comfortable locking up my bike, so a folder seemed the perfect solution.

    Quick question: How does the Nova handle in the snow? I don't intend to ride it during a blizzard, but I'm from the East Coast and there will be snow on the ground in winter...will that be an issue?
    Congratulations! As a graduate student, you would have your own office, wouldn't you? If you have to hop from classroom to classroom in the same building, I guess Nova may still be a bit heavy. Of course, unless you are a fairly strong guy.

    As of winter riding, there is 20 Marathon Winter that can make riding on snow/ice much safer.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabir View Post
    Congratulations! As a graduate student, you would have your own office, wouldn't you? If you have to hop from classroom to classroom in the same building, I guess Nova may still be a bit heavy. Of course, unless you are a fairly strong guy.

    As of winter riding, there is 20 Marathon Winter that can make riding on snow/ice much safer.
    Nope, no office for me. I'll be going from building to building a lot, so the weight shouldn't be an issue. How much do those Marathon Winter tires go for?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Kabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Downtube IXNS
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass88 View Post
    Nope, no office for me. I'll be going from building to building a lot, so the weight shouldn't be an issue. How much do those Marathon Winter tires go for?
    Check http://www.thorusa.com/

    It is about $65 a tire. The seller is very nice to work with. He is a regular member here, too.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kabir, I appreciate your help.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey! I just ordered a Downtube Nova yesterday. I really like the way they look. I was wondering if you've received your bike yet and how do you like it?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

    I got my bike a day after I ordered it! Great service if you're on the East Coast.

    I love the bike. It rides really well and is quite compact. It's heavy, but nothing too terrible. There is no suspension, so big bumps hurt, and the seat is not the highest quality, but it's a great bike for the price.

    Only problem I have is shifting gears 1 to 4. It's a little wonky and I have to take it to a shop to make some small adjustments. I wish I could do it myself but I'm not sure how. If someone has advice in that respect I'd appreciate it!

    Aside from that, I love the bike and I think it'll be a great commuter.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats! I received mine last Friday. I haven't had the time to really enjoy a good ride.So,I'm very excited to take out for a whirl! I understand it's quite easy to upgrade parts for the bike.That's inspiring-but for my needs-I think the bike is fine for now especially with my budget.-Lol! I do think I'll add front suspension and maybe a set of Big Apple tires by Schwalbe.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass88 View Post
    Just ordered my new Downtube Nova!
    Same here. ;-)

    My wife wanted a simple bike for short casual rides and the Nova seems to be a good fit. Until then she will ride the Brompton S 6sp but she does not like the low riding position and the complex shifting.

  10. #10
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass88 View Post
    ..There is no suspension, so big bumps hurt, and the seat is not the highest quality,..
    You may want to look into springy saddles such as Brooks Flyer. I have it on one of my bikes and like it a lot.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    My Bikes
    86 Nishiki Olympic Sport, 87 KHS Montana Team, 06 Dahon Mariner
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
    You may want to look into springy saddles such as Brooks Flyer. I have it on one of my bikes and like it a lot.
    Ditto. I have a sprung Brooks Flyer on my Dahon Mariner (a cousin to your Nova), and it really takes the sting out of harsh road irregularities. It will feel weird spending 25% of the value of your bike on a saddle, but go for it.

    -Warr

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it have the adjustable handlebar stem? Their faq has a guide on adjusting it, but the pictures on the product page don't show it..

  13. #13
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpc View Post
    Does it have the adjustable handlebar stem? Their faq has a guide on adjusting it, but the pictures on the product page don't show it..
    You can move the handlebar few inches up and down.

    http://downtube.com/images/2010_Bike...s/IMG_1286.JPG

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
    You can move the handlebar few inches up and down.

    http://downtube.com/images/2010_Bike...s/IMG_1286.JPG
    Ah ok. I was hoping it had the stem that could be adjusted like in:

    http://downtube.com/Adjustment_Instr...em_Adjustment/

    Maybe that's just on the suspension models? I guess I could just ask Dr Yan directly

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •