Trail MTBer: Dahon mariner d7 vs speed p8
First, i would like to know what year the speed p8 came in black. Dealer had black model and as far as i know, US only has the red for 2011.
I dont know which to go for really. I will be riding this on roads/sidewalks/parks.
Pros and cons
+ 2" tires
+ more expensive = better?
+ quick release wheels
+ Black! i like black.
- its heavy! 1.6lb heavier than mariner
- no fender and rack (if i ever need one in the future)
- $100 more than mariner
Mariner D7 $550
+ Lightweight! if i remove the fenders and rack, it may be 2.5 lbs lighter than p8
+ wont rust unlike steel and chromolly (right?)
+ aluminum and uncolored. no paint to chip.
- no wheel quick release
- too flashy (well, it is uncolored aluminum. i wish it had mu uno's color)
- i read somewhere that p8 handles much better and much more durable
- i may have to buy fatter tires..+$60 (but i will end up with a spare tire)
Based on how i ride, i am kind of rough. I like to go up and down on sidewalk curbs because I try to avoid the not bike friendly road. I am also bike weight conscious but only if it wont sacrifice durability. What i like about mariner is that they advertise it as weatherproof. I may be storing the bike a lot and i want it ready to go when i want to. Please let me know what i should be concerned w and what i shouldnt be.