Freewheel upgrade options - Goal: 11t cog, or smaller.
I've been looking at upgrading the gearing on my DT Nova (rear wheel: 130mm OLD, 7sp freewheel), and came across a couple of options. Just wanted to see if I missed anything.
- Long Yih (aka DNP epoch) 11T freewheel - Originally, I was just going to go this route, but after some research, it doesn't seem like the quality of these things are very high. ~$40 total.
- Dahon D7 rear wheel - The only bummer about this one is that this wheel is not quick release. Don't know if this is a huge deal, but seems like a small step back, seeing as how my current wheel is quick release. ~$50 + ~$20 cassette
- Swift Rear Wheel - 132mm spacing. Probably ok? 8speed ~$78 + ~$20 cassette + $x shifter
- Dahon Kinetix Comp rear wheel - 8 speed. ~$100 + ~$20 cassette + $x shifter
- Shimano Capreo Rear Wheel - out of my price range ~$300 for wheel alone
The D7's wheel looks like the most "plug and play", as I wouldn't have to change the shifter or anything, but the lack of a quick release bothers me a bit.
Aside from having an extra gear on the swift and kinetix comp wheel (the extra gear is not a big motivator for me), are there significant performance differences from the D7 wheel?
Comments? Personal Experiences? Spot any gaping holes in my list and/or reasoning?