Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-05-11, 11:30 AM   #1
rkokish
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rkokish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Colorado Rockies
Bikes:
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Cheaper Bag for BF Pocket Bikes?

A very nice Bike Friday (BF) bag costs about $70. Dahon has a similar one for $80. But here's one made of canvass for around $20.

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-RV8612.html

This bag might be adequate for home storage, keeping an automobile trunk clean, etc. But its dimensions are slightly different from the BF bag and the opening appears smaller. I wonder, would a BF Pocket Bike (which doe not fold as small as some other bikes) fit inside?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had or knows of direct consumer experience with this bag.
rkokish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-11, 12:36 PM   #2
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,416
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
my .02$

Get any sewing machine owner to sew one, where you live.. .
and then you can set the specifications.

seeking a local source is practice for when oil has gone thru the roof
to ship, via truck/ship/rail.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 08:13 AM   #3
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker
 
bjorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SF Bay Area + Surrounding Planet
Bikes: Bike Friday, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The pic shows what looks like a Dahon boardwalk. Oddly enough, I have a Dahon Boardwalk and a BF pocket and need a bag for the Dahon -- so, thanks! I just bought one of these bags, and will report back on whether it can carry either bike.

(The Dahon fold is smaller than the BF -- not actually expecting it to fit, but we'll see!)
bjorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-11, 10:49 AM   #4
rkokish
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rkokish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Colorado Rockies
Bikes:
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
The pic shows what looks like a Dahon boardwalk. Oddly enough, I have a Dahon Boardwalk and a BF pocket and need a bag for the Dahon -- so, thanks! I just bought one of these bags, and will report back on whether it can carry either bike.

(The Dahon fold is smaller than the BF -- not actually expecting it to fit, but we'll see!)
Looking forward to your report. Please let me know ASAP. If it works I plan on getting 2 of the bags as well as two pairs of pop-off pedals to facilitate getting bikes into, out of bags. With shipping, total expense will be near $200, so will really appreciate hearing about bag fit before I spend all that $.

Thanks,
Ron
rkokish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-11, 10:19 PM   #5
folder fanatic
Banned.
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
my .02$

Get any sewing machine owner to sew one, where you live.. .
and then you can set the specifications.

seeking a local source is practice for when oil has gone thru the roof
to ship, via truck/ship/rail.
I have found that sewing your own bag is not rocket science, somewhat easy to do (just be sure to take careful measurements & allow for a 3 dimensional full shape rather than a flat sheet), and use a good match of thread & fabric for the sewing machine you are using. As for the sort of bag to use for your own, there are many patterns available for you to use for free online. Here is one intended for use on European trains referred to here as a "Housse" (Bike Bag): http://www.mayq.com/Best_european_trips/Housse.htm
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 10:49 AM   #6
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker
 
bjorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SF Bay Area + Surrounding Planet
Bikes: Bike Friday, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It fits!

To my great surprise: it fits

It's also nylon, not canvas.

Seeing is believing:


I will therefore buy a second one for the Dahon...

Last edited by bjorke; 09-13-11 at 10:59 AM.
bjorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 11:01 AM   #7
rkokish
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rkokish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Colorado Rockies
Bikes:
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks so much. I will place my order today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
To my great surprise: it fits

It's also nylon, not canvas.

Seeing is believing:


I will therefore buy a second one for the Dahon...
rkokish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 11:07 AM   #8
badrad
Senior Member
 
badrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that's a neat bag, and good price! cheaper and probably quicker that making your own if you have to run around to buy all the fabric.
i noticed on their website it's also a backpack. have you tried that - just wondering if that really works? neat if it does! also wondering how comfortable that is, if you have to walk a little distance with it?
i'm looking for a bag also, and being able to backpack it would be a plus.

Last edited by badrad; 09-13-11 at 11:11 AM.
badrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 12:06 PM   #9
Jyyanks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Suburbs of NYC
Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkokish View Post
A very nice Bike Friday (BF) bag costs about $70. Dahon has a similar one for $80. But here's one made of canvass for around $20.

http://www.rvtoyoutlet.com/p-RV8612.html

This bag might be adequate for home storage, keeping an automobile trunk clean, etc. But its dimensions are slightly different from the BF bag and the opening appears smaller. I wonder, would a BF Pocket Bike (which doe not fold as small as some other bikes) fit inside?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had or knows of direct consumer experience with this bag.
I actually just bought one of these bags from rvtoyoutlet.com on Saturday but haven't received it yet. I just needed something to put my bike in when I stowed it in my car, nothing too fancy. I can let you know when I get it what the quality is like but so far I have yet to receive a shipping confirmation and not sure how long it will take.
Jyyanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 02:44 PM   #10
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker
 
bjorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SF Bay Area + Surrounding Planet
Bikes: Bike Friday, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw the "backpack" straps but I wouldn't want to go far without padding them (and padding my back!)

Delivery was very quick, at least to San Fran.

The bag is labelled "lock n roll" and appears to me to be a good deal on the same bag amazon sells for $29 (of course, $9 shipping... )
bjorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-11, 08:12 PM   #11
Jyyanks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Suburbs of NYC
Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got the shipping confirmation today. As bjorke note, the same bag is $29 on ebay and amazon plus shipping. Can't wait to get see it, I really need a bag for when I store the bikes in my trunk.
Jyyanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 08:46 AM   #12
Jyyanks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Suburbs of NYC
Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok. I just got my bags this week. Although I ordered the one that bjorke posted, I got a different one - the logo is multi colored instead of white. While the bag itself seemed to be a strong canvas material, the zipper was horrific. I opened up the package, put my bike in and attempted to zip it up and the zipper broke. Both bags have the same flimsy zipper which will not last, especially if you use this bag more than once or twice. I am a bit disappointed in the quality of the zipper but the bag itself seems ok. I'm still debating whether I want to go through the trouble of exchanging the bags but even for $20, I don't think I can recommend.
Jyyanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 01:34 AM   #13
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker
 
bjorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SF Bay Area + Surrounding Planet
Bikes: Bike Friday, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow! Sounds like they have some fairly random stocking issues. Both of my bags are the identical nylon one I showed in the photograph
bjorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 11:02 AM   #14
rkokish
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rkokish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Colorado Rockies
Bikes:
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyyanks View Post
Ok. I just got my bags this week. Although I ordered the one that bjorke posted, I got a different one - the logo is multi colored instead of white. While the bag itself seemed to be a strong canvas material, the zipper was horrific. I opened up the package, put my bike in and attempted to zip it up and the zipper broke. Both bags have the same flimsy zipper which will not last, especially if you use this bag more than once or twice. I am a bit disappointed in the quality of the zipper but the bag itself seems ok. I'm still debating whether I want to go through the trouble of exchanging the bags but even for $20, I don't think I can recommend.
Same with me. I received 2 bags for 2 BF's - nice enough except for non-funtional zippers. My plan is to glue/sew 2 or 3 velco straps onto each one. Only use I have in mind for these bags is to protect my bikes/car from one another. If I was going to carry the bikes around on buses and trains I would probably look into better ($80) bags from Dahon or BF but these will do I think, for the limited use I intend.
rkokish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 12:42 PM   #15
Jyyanks
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Suburbs of NYC
Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkokish View Post
Same with me. I received 2 bags for 2 BF's - nice enough except for non-funtional zippers. My plan is to glue/sew 2 or 3 velco straps onto each one. Only use I have in mind for these bags is to protect my bikes/car from one another. If I was going to carry the bikes around on buses and trains I would probably look into better ($80) bags from Dahon or BF but these will do I think, for the limited use I intend.
Ahhhh! Great idea. I may just do the same as I am also only using the bags for transporting the bikes in the car
Jyyanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 AM.