Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77

Thread: New era Dahon

  1. #1
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New era Dahon

    Dahon kicks off new era at Eurobike
    by Jonathon Harker

    New products and global marketing campaign – 'Express Your Personality' – revealed

    Following a tumultuous few months, Dahon has launched its 2012 campaign at Eurobike, covering new product and the launch of its first ever global advertising campaign.
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,074
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  3. #3
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



    "...The brand has streamlined its range for 2012, offering 34 bicycles, including the Jifo 16 bicycle. Dahon said it has applied a revolutionary longitudinal frame latch to the model, so the Jifo folds in about seven seconds. The Jifo is pitched at riders looking for a light and convenient mode of transport for their daily ‘last mile’.
    ...
    Other product highlights include the Mu N360 featuring the NuVinci CTV drivetrain hub.
    ..."
    Last edited by mconlonx; 09-05-11 at 08:24 PM.
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  4. #4
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    New products and global marketing campaign – 'Express Your Personality' – revealed
    Following a tumultuous few months, Dahon has launched its 2012 campaign at Eurobike, covering new product and the launch of its first ever global advertising campaign.
    Hopefully they will get the dahon.com domain. Having two non related companies using the Dahon brand is confusing.
    Happier than a camel on wednesday.

  5. #5
    Senior Member gringo_gus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NW England
    My Bikes
    SL2-X; DT mini; Joey Sport
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what this is is a tragedy
    it aint the size of your wheels, its the rhythm of you cadence. And I got powergrips too.

  6. #6
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a tikit with push rods! (rather than cables)
    Interesting...............
    Love to see this folded.
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

  7. #7
    Senior Member gringo_gus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NW England
    My Bikes
    SL2-X; DT mini; Joey Sport
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
    Its a tikit with push rods! (rather than cables)
    Interesting...............
    Love to see this folded.
    maybe its the colour, but has a certain resemblance to my downtube mini too - especially around the seatpost and handlebars .... Differences too, eg gearing. +1 on the fold.
    it aint the size of your wheels, its the rhythm of you cadence. And I got powergrips too.

  8. #8
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
    Love to see this folded.
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  9. #9
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh its that one. Thanks anyway.

    Dimensions anyone?
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

  10. #10
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You saw it at ThorUSA first .... lol.. actually already a year ago !!!!
    Just saying.... and yes I like that bike its very very compact and still rides acceptable well. Not for centuries but great for short trips.
    An estimated guess for the Jivo is 899.00 shipped. I dont know about the ugly color.... maybe we can get it in a different one after all.
    ( If enough dealers open their mouth and start *****in anyhow.... I hate to be the only one )

    I am interested in the Mu with the Nuwinchi but I have no clue if that is going to be an Euro only model or not and the price ?

    We will probaly see the Curl as well....I would think 1500 dlrs minimum for this bike..... which makes it quite expensive and I think the Jivo will be taking away from the Curl with that price difference.

    Next week is Interbike and we will find out more ..... I will post on facebook ( Thorsten Schaette) as this is most likely the easiest way and the freshest ....

    Thor

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    Brompton H6L, DT Mini, DT 9FS, Dahon Ciao P8, Dahon Classic 3(x2), Dahon TR, R20, Raleigh Chopper III, Auto Mini Jr., Mercier Nano, Giant Anyroad2
    Posts
    156
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gringo_gus View Post
    maybe its the colour, but has a certain resemblance to my downtube mini too - especially around the seatpost and handlebars .... Differences too, eg gearing. +1 on the fold.
    I thought of my Mini, too, when I saw the Jifo, g_g.

  12. #12
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    You saw it at ThorUSA first .... lol.. actually already a year ago !!!!
    Just saying.... and yes I like that bike its very very compact and still rides acceptable well. Not for centuries but great for short trips.
    An estimated guess for the Jivo is 899.00 shipped. I dont know about the ugly color.... maybe we can get it in a different one after all.
    ( If enough dealers open their mouth and start *****in anyhow.... I hate to be the only one )

    I am interested in the Mu with the Nuwinchi but I have no clue if that is going to be an Euro only model or not and the price ?

    We will probaly see the Curl as well....I would think 1500 dlrs minimum for this bike..... which makes it quite expensive and I think the Jivo will be taking away from the Curl with that price difference.

    Next week is Interbike and we will find out more ..... I will post on facebook ( Thorsten Schaette) as this is most likely the easiest way and the freshest ....

    Thor
    Aye, the google image I dug up for the folded bike is on the ThorUSA website, so mad props to Brakemeister for the folded shot.
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  13. #13
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,711
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post



    "...The brand has streamlined its range for 2012, offering 34 bicycles, including the Jifo 16 bicycle. Dahon said it has applied a revolutionary longitudinal frame latch to the model, so the Jifo folds in about seven seconds. The Jifo is pitched at riders looking for a light and convenient mode of transport for their daily ‘last mile’.
    ...
    Other product highlights include the Mu N360 featuring the NuVinci CTV drivetrain hub.
    ..."

    I like. But without the shrunken fenders.
    "Cycling is for pleasure not penance"

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    This is supposed to be a step forward in folded bicycle design ?

    Was this really designed by the same people who gave us the pure lines of the Curve and the Mu ?

    It may ride fine, but it looks a mess, like something you would find on e bay for 49.99

  15. #15
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,078
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    You saw it at ThorUSA first .... lol.. actually already a year ago !!!!
    Just saying.... and yes I like that bike its very very compact and still rides acceptable well. Not for centuries but great for short trips.
    An estimated guess for the Jivo is 899.00 shipped. I dont know about the ugly color.... maybe we can get it in a different one after all.
    ( If enough dealers open their mouth and start *****in anyhow.... I hate to be the only one )

    I am interested in the Mu with the Nuwinchi but I have no clue if that is going to be an Euro only model or not and the price ?

    We will probaly see the Curl as well....I would think 1500 dlrs minimum for this bike..... which makes it quite expensive and I think the Jivo will be taking away from the Curl with that price difference.

    Next week is Interbike and we will find out more ..... I will post on facebook ( Thorsten Schaette) as this is most likely the easiest way and the freshest ....

    Thor
    That is a very smart move on your part to start offering other brands. That does not make you a traitor. Just a wise businessman who must diversify his line ups in the new reality of the rapidly changing large players of the folding bike market.

    The tiny Jivo is really unusual to say the least.

  16. #16
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,295
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Jivo has a clever fold - that's not something you come up with over a coffee. Long design hours were spent. I can see some very clever things in the fold.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    That Jivo has a clever fold - that's not something you come up with over a coffee. Long design hours were spent. I can see some very clever things in the fold.
    Yes indeed, but then Dahon probably has a larger in-house R&D resource than the rest of the folding bike industry put together. It looks to me like the design brief given to the engineers may have been 16" wheels and an upper limit on the folded package volume, to meet what would be a fairly obvious marketing goal. I'm just not sure we will come to love that longitudinal hinge, assuming that the picture shows the actual production model and not a prototype.

  18. #18
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,295
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just the wheelbase looks lamentably short.
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  19. #19
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    That Jivo has a clever fold - that's not something you come up with over a coffee. Long design hours were spent. I can see some very clever things in the fold.
    +1.
    The vertical hinge is a nice idea if the bike's design "has" to incorporate a hinge in the middle of the frame.
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Just the wheelbase looks lamentably short.
    "The Jifo is pitched at riders looking for a light and convenient mode of transport for their daily ‘last mile"

    Maybe they don't intend people to use it much beyond that range, so swb and rideability would not be a primary issue, making it a sort of expensive update to the Daewoo Shuttle.

  21. #21
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More pictures here (there are a bunch of Jito pictures to the right and left of this one)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob406/...n/photostream/

    Also has this picture of a folding crank

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob406/...n/photostream/
    Happier than a camel on wednesday.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor, I hope you are wrong about the Jifo's price (but odds are you know what you are talking about). I would love to have a Jifo. Oh well, at least they would be available. Maybe if the color is ugly nobody will buy them and the price will go down.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diode100 View Post
    Yes indeed, but then Dahon probably has a larger in-house R&D resource than the rest of the folding bike industry put together. It looks to me like the design brief given to the engineers may have been 16" wheels and an upper limit on the folded package volume, to meet what would be a fairly obvious marketing goal. I'm just not sure we will come to love that longitudinal hinge, assuming that the picture shows the actual production model and not a prototype.
    They bought it off the shelf... it is not their design.

  24. #24
    tcs
    tcs is offline
    Palmer tcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Parts unknown
    Posts
    4,370
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    An estimated guess for the Jivo is 899.00 shipped.
    Nine big for a 16" (ISO305) single speed? It's your business, but I wouldn't recommend putting very many in inventory!
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

    "Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

  25. #25
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tcs View Post
    Nine big for a 16" (ISO305) single speed? It's your business, but I wouldn't recommend putting very many in inventory!
    I hear you !
    and as long as the ride is not surprisingly super doopa extraordinaire out of this world better than most I have ridden kinda thing you are maybe right ....
    I saw that bike in person though and although I think it is expnsive I really need to compare the folded size and the components one by one... that might swing me more in favour as well.

    thor

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •