Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-04, 12:12 PM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A Really Interesting Article on the front page of the "Scene" section of the Denver Post

The entire article was much lengthier than the web posting - about 3 pages, with a lot of pictures.

This is one of the pictures that did not make it on to the DP website:

Last edited by DnvrFox; 11-30-04 at 05:22 PM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 04:34 PM   #2
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
A Really Interesting Article on the front page of the "Scene" section of the Denver Post

This picture did not make it on to the DP website:
It was a good article. I've been saying for the past two years if someone is just getting into cycling and is looking for a hybrid, a folder makes the best sense. My first bicycle purchase was a folding bike and it's still in my stable today.

Do you want to know what's holding the folding bike from becoming mainstream?

Answer: The STARES!

I used to bring my folder on the train into Manhattan and the stares just makes you want to hide under a rock sometimes. You deal with it better as time goes by but it never goes away. I hate to say this but the people who use 16' inch wheel folders tend to be a little eccentric if you ask me. ;-) I don't know, just my observation. People look at you kind of strange often times with pity. Oh. I almost forgot. You're greatest pickup lines would not work on a 600 pound woman if she sees you with a folder!! Trust me!

I've also noticed that people who use folders tend be fairly young, less than 30 years of age. I would say that if you can get beyond the stares, a folder really makes life easier and can save a boat load of money and time in having to walk or make transfers to other modes of transport.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 03:26 AM   #3
Simple Simon
Life in Mono
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London
Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Answer: The STARES!

.
Soooooo true !!!
Simple Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 03:59 PM   #4
Jim B
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It helps if you're an extrovert. Just as long as the bike looks cool. However I think I draw the line at a Strida.
Jim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 09:46 PM   #5
Taz
Senior Member
 
Taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes: Schwinn, Trek, Gary Fisher & Strida
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get more questions than stares about my Strida on the Metra Train.

Strida is the best bike to take on a train for daily use.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 08:08 AM   #6
james Haury
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Forest Park Il
Bikes: Yeah Dahon Bike Friday Panasonic Dyno
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ridgebacks folder is really a badge engineered Dahon specifically a boardwalk 6. 20 inch wheels are much more functional than 16 inch anyway.
james Haury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 08:43 AM   #7
robertsdvd
floor sleeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Here and there in the US
Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Puch 3 speed road conversion, lookin' into a Karate Monkey for a cruiser
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My only question about most folders - old and new is why they don't fold the other way so the forward of the cycle covers the greasy chain. I'm liking working on my Raleigh Twenty, but man if they could have made it fold the other way I think it would have made a lot more sense... heck I'd be happy to see some aftermarket options for adaptable full chaincases. I picked up this old tomos which is a folder made in the old Yugoslavia and it uses bizarre parts like what can only be guessed to be a "Thomson bottom bracket" - but they made it fold the other way - so the front covers the chain.
robertsdvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-04, 09:15 AM   #8
Simple Simon
Life in Mono
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London
Bikes: 5 bikes, all the usual types
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Brompton does just that - chain on the inside, and strida gets round the whole issue with a car cam belt drive !
Simple Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 08:12 AM   #9
Taz
Senior Member
 
Taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Bikes: Schwinn, Trek, Gary Fisher & Strida
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's why I like the Strida. On the Metra Train folding bikes need to be in a bag because of the greased chain.

I can get around not having a bag with the Strida.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 09:31 AM   #10
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsdvd
My only question about most folders - old and new is why they don't fold the other way so the forward of the cycle covers the greasy chain. I'm liking working on my Raleigh Twenty, but man if they could have made it fold the other way I think it would have made a lot more sense... heck I'd be happy to see some aftermarket options for adaptable full chaincases. I picked up this old tomos which is a folder made in the old Yugoslavia and it uses bizarre parts like what can only be guessed to be a "Thomson bottom bracket" - but they made it fold the other way - so the front covers the chain.
The Dahon Presto now comes with a chaincase.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-04, 09:39 PM   #11
spirope
Bike commuter in Toronto
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes: Trek 8000, Bianchi Super Ibex, Cannondale Delta V, Giatex 16
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's funny that you should say that. I took my folding bike on a recent trip to Manhattan, and it's true a lot of people noticed it, and even stopped and asked me about it. However, they were friendly and interested, and wanted to know where they could buy one! I found that the attention increased my enjoyment of the trip.

More info:

http://ca.geocities.com/spirope/foldingbike.htm



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
It was a good article. I've been saying for the past two years if someone is just getting into cycling and is looking for a hybrid, a folder makes the best sense. My first bicycle purchase was a folding bike and it's still in my stable today.

Do you want to know what's holding the folding bike from becoming mainstream?

Answer: The STARES!

I used to bring my folder on the train into Manhattan and the stares just makes you want to hide under a rock sometimes. You deal with it better as time goes by but it never goes away. I hate to say this but the people who use 16' inch wheel folders tend to be a little eccentric if you ask me. ;-) I don't know, just my observation. People look at you kind of strange often times with pity. Oh. I almost forgot. You're greatest pickup lines would not work on a 600 pound woman if she sees you with a folder!! Trust me!

I've also noticed that people who use folders tend be fairly young, less than 30 years of age. I would say that if you can get beyond the stares, a folder really makes life easier and can save a boat load of money and time in having to walk or make transfers to other modes of transport.
spirope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-05, 11:13 PM   #12
dannyg1 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep. My experience too. Well, sort of. You see I ride my Jetstream XP (which is a pretty trick looking setup, with the Rolf wheels et al.) on the Long Island leg of a commute I do out of Manhattan. I switch from the E train at Jamaica station and that's where the stares get evil. I mean evil.

If it werent for the fact that I'd been doing my commute on an electric scooter, I'd swear that people were staring out of curiousity; because the scooter really is a curiousity! Nope. This bike is getting evil stares because people are wanting to steal it. No question about it.

I'm gonna try and pick up a girl tommorrow. I'l report back.

DG1
dannyg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-05, 08:09 AM   #13
tulip
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Out there, on my bike
Bikes:
Posts: 5,421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get some stares, but mostly people are curious about the bike. If they don't ask me about it directly, they talk softly amongst themselves about it. One man came up to me and said, "How the hell did you break your bike in half? Hehehe." I appreciated his effort. I have a 26" folder, so it's not as compact as the smaller ones.

I think with me, people may wonder what a well-dressed (I take my bike home on the metro at night, so I'm not often dressed in bike clothes) professional-looking woman is doing with a folding bike. I like to let them wonder. The helmet attached to my bag should provide a hint.

As for putting folders in bags, officially they are required to be in bags. But a 26" in a bag is ridiculous. I'm just counting on continued good luck and keeping a low profile (riding in the last cars, etc.)
tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:46 AM.