Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-25-11, 03:22 AM   #1
v1nce
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Brompton, bought my first one, thinking about selling it.....!

Hi Guys and Gals,

Haven't posted for years! Nice to check this place out once more. So i have been a folding bike afficionado for more than ten years. Own a pimped Raleigh twenty, just sold a Dahon Boardwalk 3 speed hub gear, and have owned about 7 Gazelle Kwiksteps. Anyway, after lusting for a Brompton for all that time, the other day i found a good deal, 365 Euros:
Red, 5 speeds (SA hub with two triggers, all gears in hub, not the double cog variety 2 *3 gear thang)... In perfectly serviceable condition but not looking pretty for sure. Has the back carrier and large rolling wheels. Only problem is the bike seems to have a slight tendency to veer right, only noticeable when pushing the bike while not holding steer. Probably slightly battered fork?

Anyway, i am thinking sell because:

-Heard the internal 5 speed is a very uncommon hub, hard to service, not as durable as the three and gives more friction. True? Any of you guys actually like this hub?

-I used to be a bike mech for 4 years, so i know i can spend an hour cleaning the bike up and making it look way better and probably easily get 450 for it. Everything i have seen of the Dutch second hand market for Brommies points in that direction.

-I have a friendly, very local Brommie specialist who could probably sell me a slightly nicer looking Brom for 450 that did include the 2 Cog set up which at present i am very keen on since i'd like to do some very light touring. Do you guys like the 2 * 3 hub thing?

-I might not want a Brom after all... Thing is, it is replacing my Dahon 3 speed boardwalk. Latter bike is not as good but quite good. I never worried about locking that one up even in Amsterdam. I use ABUS hardened chains. But Broms..? They are very in demand with thieves also. And i know you can take them inside most! of the time.. but not always! Still, i covet the small fold, better ride quality and truly multi modal transport capabilities... If the Brom were to be stolen after say three years of frequent service i'd kinda be okay with that, but if it gotten stolen in matter of months,.. well 365 euro represents more than one third of my monthly total income, would be bummer. Opinions are most welcome.

Vince
v1nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 04:22 AM   #2
chagzuki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
Posts: 1,871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've owned a Brompton for about 8 months and I'm still deciding exactly how well it will serve me/ how it compares to other folding bikes. Certainly I'd never leave it locked outside; I've been using it as cart when doing shopping which works kind of well-ish. . . whether it would be easier to carry a good lock around and leave a cheaper bike outside of shops, I'm not sure.

Quite frankly I look forward to the day when the Brompton design is mimicked by companies that mass-produce parts at a much lower price and therefore theft isn't such a worry.
chagzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 06:35 AM   #3
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,878
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
The Brompton T5 Brompton hasn't been made in 5 or 6 years so this explains the condition. I would keep the bike because the hub can be replaced with a 3 speed should it fail. I wouldn't hold my breath on another company making a three speed 16 inch folder with the same quality as Brompton. The Birdy, Bike Friday, Strida and Dahon have 16 inch folders costing just as much if not more than Brompton and prices are not falling.

There are 16 inch folders from China costing less but the quality is not there.
Dahon.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-11, 10:46 AM   #4
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,069
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
the 5 star production by SA UK was, as I read, hard to find in mass numbers , by the company .
I have a T3, Black, Rack. hub lot stamped .. 94, and a much newer M3L
theyre easily stored , so you can save it, for riding with a bikeless friend.

Too bad about the theft where you live, putting a lock thru the triangle in the main section
seems adequate here, for locking to the bike rack.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-11, 10:08 AM   #5
LittlePixel
Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc
 
LittlePixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: London UK
Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hey - nice to hear fron you V1nce! I say keep it and replace hub with a 3-speed if/when it breaks. And get the forks off - veering might be worn headset/bad bearing as much as bent forks, but if it is the latter, then they can probably be cold-set if you can find the bit that's bent.
LittlePixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 04:19 AM   #6
jhonan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Bikes: Brompton M6R
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had a M6R for a couple of months now for commuting. I find I'm only really using 2 gears, 3rd and 4th (i.e. hub 2nd). If I was touring on it, or doing more leisure cycling or hills then I might make use of the full range.

The main problem I've found with the 6-speed (2*3) is the derailleur. Because it's so close to the ground you have to keep an eye on the idler jockey wheels as they tend to pick up a lot of dirt, especially in this weather - meaning the derailleur change sometimes sticks. Cleaning/lubing it is a quick fix, but it's annoying. (And since I'm flicking between 3/4 the only shifter I'm using is the derailleur)

Anyway, the 3-speed hub is a dream. I've had one before and think it's a beautiful design. You can't go wrong with the hub.
jhonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 12:34 PM   #7
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,069
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Mk 3 frames have a fitting for the 2 indicator chains needs of the 5 star hub,
but they lack the fitting for the 2 cog shifter, that is a feature of the Mk4

worrying about the 5 speed? , rebuild the rear wheel with the 3 speed hub in it.
older builds used Galvanized spokes, now they're stainless.
BSR is alloy flange shell..


Should be able to auction off the 5 speed as a part. easily ..

newer 5 speed is a wider ratio, 1&5 are added outside of the AW3 3/4,4/3 ratios.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-11, 08:34 PM   #8
folder fanatic
Banned.
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1nce View Post
Hi Guys and Gals,

Haven't posted for years! Nice to check this place out once more. So i have been a folding bike afficionado for more than ten years. Own a pimped Raleigh twenty, just sold a Dahon Boardwalk 3 speed hub gear, and have owned about 7 Gazelle Kwiksteps. Anyway, after lusting for a Brompton for all that time, the other day i found a good deal, 365 Euros:
Red, 5 speeds (SA hub with two triggers, all gears in hub, not the double cog variety 2 *3 gear thang)... In perfectly serviceable condition but not looking pretty for sure. Has the back carrier and large rolling wheels. Only problem is the bike seems to have a slight tendency to veer right, only noticeable when pushing the bike while not holding steer. Probably slightly battered fork?

Anyway, i am thinking sell because:

-Heard the internal 5 speed is a very uncommon hub, hard to service, not as durable as the three and gives more friction. True? Any of you guys actually like this hub?

-I used to be a bike mech for 4 years, so i know i can spend an hour cleaning the bike up and making it look way better and probably easily get 450 for it. Everything i have seen of the Dutch second hand market for Brommies points in that direction.

-I have a friendly, very local Brommie specialist who could probably sell me a slightly nicer looking Brom for 450 that did include the 2 Cog set up which at present i am very keen on since i'd like to do some very light touring. Do you guys like the 2 * 3 hub thing?

-I might not want a Brom after all... Thing is, it is replacing my Dahon 3 speed boardwalk. Latter bike is not as good but quite good. I never worried about locking that one up even in Amsterdam. I use ABUS hardened chains. But Broms..? They are very in demand with thieves also. And i know you can take them inside most! of the time.. but not always! Still, i covet the small fold, better ride quality and truly multi modal transport capabilities... If the Brom were to be stolen after say three years of frequent service i'd kinda be okay with that, but if it gotten stolen in matter of months,.. well 365 euro represents more than one third of my monthly total income, would be bummer. Opinions are most welcome.

Vince
Hello Vince & welcome back. It is nice to hear from another member from the old days for once. I don't know if you are aware that I have sold my Boardwalk in the years that followed it's purchase too. I now only have and use folding bikes in my very high bike theft prone area-2 vintage ones dating from the 1970s; a nice gently updated Raleigh Twenty purchased last year, another one just a couple of weeks ago (my German made fully separating frame bike), along with my now 6 year old purchased when new Brompton. I was not aware how easy it is to buy a used Brompton over there. Here is quite unusual to see one for sale used at any age or condition.

Because it is so easy to pick up another Brompton in a better condition than the one you have with no loss to you, I suggest that go ahead and buy that one. Like many other high end bikes, the Brompton does improve on it's basic idea over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
The Brompton T5 Brompton hasn't been made in 5 or 6 years so this explains the condition. I would keep the bike because the hub can be replaced with a 3 speed should it fail. I wouldn't hold my breath on another company making a three speed 16 inch folder with the same quality as Brompton. The Birdy, Bike Friday, Strida and Dahon have 16 inch folders costing just as much if not more than Brompton and prices are not falling.

There are 16 inch folders from China costing less but the quality is not there.
It is very true that bicycles (and other products) are increasing in price. I have been limiting my purchases to gently used items now for the most part. So keep this Brompton if you want. Or sell it. Whatever you choose will be a good decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
the 5 star production by SA UK was, as I read, hard to find in mass numbers , by the company .
I have a T3, Black, Rack. hub lot stamped .. 94, and a much newer M3L
theyre easily stored , so you can save it, for riding with a bikeless friend.

Too bad about the theft where you live, putting a lock thru the triangle in the main section
seems adequate here, for locking to the bike rack.
I only use folding/separating bikes because of the very good chance any bike I lock up outside will not be waiting for me when I leave the building. It is a fact of life here. And it seems the same even where you are.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 08:50 AM   #9
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
I`ve got the same hub on my B, I`d keep the bike since it sounds like you would be capable of servicing it yourself. Only thing I`d like to change on my B is the shifters http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/3-speed-s...ver-prod18841/ . I want two grip shifters- something like this http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-a...-hp-prod19316/ if possible but I am not sure if it is doable. Anybody tryed this?

Edit: Searching for the answer to this question I visited the Yahoo Geared hub bikes forum and found this about the 5 speed SA hubs. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared...s/message/5813

Last edited by badmother; 11-29-11 at 02:37 PM. Reason: more info
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 03:42 AM   #10
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 2,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
. I wouldn't hold my breath on another company making a three speed 16 inch folder with the same quality as Brompton.
There are 16 inch folders from China costing less but the quality is not there.
MEzzo, ORI....................can easily replace a Brompton, so there are quality competitors out there. Not wanting to get in to a Brom verse MEzzo/ori debate.
Just discounting any competion is a bit strong, or an over look. To but it the other way around; I don't tend to consider a Brommie when considering a new 16" folder, however I would be wrong not to regard it as vaild 16" option.

Last edited by bhkyte; 12-01-11 at 04:39 AM.
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 10:59 AM   #11
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 22,069
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Yea, but if you want to join the parties at the Brompton World Champion Races ,
a Mezzo will make you an outcast.
Looks like a lot of fun , there on the Churchill family 'Cottage'.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 PM.