Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Disassembling/servicing a Dahon Speed/Mariner headset/stem? (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/790243-disassembling-servicing-dahon-speed-mariner-headset-stem.html)

wernst 01-03-12 05:26 PM

Disassembling/servicing a Dahon Speed/Mariner headset/stem?
 
Ok, lots of slashes for what I hope is a simple request:

Can anyone point me to documentation or instructions that cover how to disassemble and service the headset and handlebar stem for a Dahon Mariner (and Speed)? My bike is a 2006, but I'd love to see anything from any recent year that can help me visualize what I am in for.

Thanks,
Warr

brakemeister 01-03-12 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wernst (Post 13672233)
Ok, lots of slashes for what I hope is a simple request:

Can anyone point me to documentation or instructions that cover how to disassemble and service the headset and handlebar stem for a Dahon Mariner (and Speed)? My bike is a 2006, but I'd love to see anything from any recent year that can help me visualize what I am in for.

Thanks,
Warr

pressedin oversized sealed bearungs,just take out,theyare somewhat loose, put new ones in and voila ... done ...

do u really worn them out ? I think I sold 2 sets all last year

wernst 01-04-12 10:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by brakemeister (Post 13672924)
pressedin oversized sealed bearungs,just take out,theyare somewhat loose, put new ones in and voila ... done ...

do u really worn them out ? I think I sold 2 sets all last year

Thor and all,

What I am really talking about is removing the handlebar and stem from the head tube - or however it is connected. I really have no idea.

Now I know Dahon has had a few different designs, so to help us all out, here's how mine looks:

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=232455http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=232456http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=232457

So let's assume I want to remove the handlebar and stem from the bike completely, so that I could remove the bearings and fork as if I were going to transfer it from one frame to another. How do I do that?

-Warr

AEO 01-04-12 06:54 PM

that hexagonal hole accepts an allen key.

keep a box of some sort under the front before disassembling.
you never know if you're working with a loose bearing headset and those little suckers scatter like spooked birds.

brakemeister 01-04-12 07:36 PM

http://www.thorusa.com/recall.pdf

this will give you an idea

thor

wernst 01-05-12 11:40 AM

Well what I'm getting at (and especially after looking at the PDF on your site Thor - thanks) is that it *looks* like the locking/unlocking lever needs to be removed before unscrewing the 10mm hex head and loosening the stem clamp with the side bolt, and I don't see how that's easily done.

Or is that step not necessary?

-Warr

brakemeister 01-05-12 07:20 PM

no ... 8 mm side screw ..loosen
than unscrew 10 mm big flat allen nut... take out...
now pull up and hold the fork .... its loose ...
headset are not loose balls usually. no problem
they are just sitting in there..u will see

thor

wernst 01-06-12 01:10 PM

Thor,

Excellent. Thanks for the info.

-Warr

rkdjones 01-11-12 01:28 PM

I want to jump in here. I'm looking at a used Dahon Mariner EDP 600 - an older model. I want to mount a front hub motor which means either the fork is steel with a 4" dropout, or I replace the fork with a standard fork. I don't yet know about the current dropouts, but I was wondering if the frame will accept a standard fork, or whether Dahon had a proprietary system that is incompatible with industry standards. Robert



Quote:

Originally Posted by brakemeister (Post 13681941)
no ... 8 mm side screw ..loosen
than unscrew 10 mm big flat allen nut... take out...
now pull up and hold the fork .... its loose ...
headset are not loose balls usually. no problem
they are just sitting in there..u will see

thor


brakemeister 01-11-12 02:51 PM

the forks on Dahons are standard size on top Butthe have aninternal thread versus external ... for the cap bolt to work as an aheadset type spanner .... doest seem to work with a standard fork
sorry
thor

rkdjones 01-12-12 09:55 AM

Thanks. Robert


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 AM.