Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Raleigh Twenty on Amtrak? (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/790403-raleigh-twenty-amtrak.html)

Rob_E 01-04-12 01:12 PM

Raleigh Twenty on Amtrak?
 
Amtrak's folding bike policy seems a little vague because it says folding bikes are allowed as carry ons on "certain" passenger trains. I guess you have to check when booking. But it also mentions that the bikes have to go in certain locations. I've never seen the carry on baggage accommodations, but I feel that my Raleigh Twenty doesn't fold up terribly small, so I'm wondering if anyone with a Twenty has taken advantage of Amtrack's folding bike policy.

JugglerDave 01-04-12 01:55 PM

See this PDF, print and carry it with you:

http://www.transalt.org/files/resour..._policy_07.pdf

the allowable dimensions for folding bikes is 34"x15"x48".

Rob_E 01-04-12 02:05 PM

Great. I'll have to take measurements to see if it fits. Thanks for the detailed info. Funny that some other site has the specifics that I can't find on the Amtrak site.

rex615 01-04-12 08:02 PM

Useful Information
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglerDave (Post 13676164)
See this PDF, print and carry it with you:

http://www.transalt.org/files/resour..._policy_07.pdf

the allowable dimensions for folding bikes is 34"x15"x48".

Thanks for posting that, useful info even if my Dahon isn't a Raleigh 20:).

GlowBoy 01-04-12 10:47 PM

Thanks for the link, JugglerDave. I took my then-new-to-me Swift on an Amtrak Cascades back in September as a carry-on. Glad to know it was legal and the attendants weren't bending the rules for me just to be nice.

JugglerDave 01-05-12 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowBoy (Post 13678261)
Thanks for the link, JugglerDave. I took my then-new-to-me Swift on an Amtrak Cascades back in September as a carry-on. Glad to know it was legal and the attendants weren't bending the rules for me just to be nice.

Always glad to share -- I'm approaching 5 years (in February) and so far over 770 round-trip work commutes on Amtrak with my folders (I'm on my 2nd Downtube).

JugglerDave 01-05-12 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob_E (Post 13676214)
Great. I'll have to take measurements to see if it fits. Thanks for the detailed info. Funny that some other site has the specifics that I can't find on the Amtrak site.

That is why I had to help lobby to get the specifics into the official conductor's "Operations Manual" in 2007 -- the website was vague and had no corresponding rules in the rulebook.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.