Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-12, 10:06 PM   #1
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Letting Go Of Other's Whims & Foolishness

Hello all,

I am in the process of making some major life decisions. This is going to affect my time on both this particular forum on Bike Forums and the Website series I have operated up to now from this point on in subtle and more graphic ways. So here is a brief run down on what to expect.

There are so much time in a 24 hour period. I have to make a hard choice between all my online activities (i.e. my forum/website/streaming/research) and my offline designing/sewing/packaging ones & bicycling. The one I chose is the one most popular and more enjoyable for me. I choose that particular something that is tangible and I can sleep under at night. My quilts and other sewing projects win. Computers do not keep you warm at night or carry your luggage on a bicycle. My sewing machines make the bags and quilts to do these things for myself and others.

My bicycles are also chosen over my online life. I have the 3 bicycles right now that are the best ones for the circumstances I find myself in now and the foreseeable future. Each has passed 2 emergency situations that cropped up unexpectedly over the past 2 months. The Brompton and The Raleigh Twenty during that awful windstorm that stuck the Los Angeles area just last December 1, and just today when I had to return a book to my local my other folding/separating bike, the beat up crappy looking West German made one, successfully transported myself and the book that was going to be overdue if late a few minutes before closing time. Therefore, they stay. I already purged those not-up-to-snuff Dahons out of my life forever.

The most important reason why my website series is not going to be fussed over anymore is something crtreedude, a regular poster on the Politics & Religion forum noticed as much as I have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtreedude View Post
Things that are free, are not valued.-The Mathematical Impossibility of Being an Effective Teacher #49
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/796881-The-Mathematical-Impossibility-of-Being-an-Effective-Teacher?p=13824601&viewfull=1#post13824601
Remembering all that warm and fuzzy pseudo-support I seem to be getting over the past several months has sealed the deal for me. You will have to find the sites yourself from now on-the name of the primary site is still below in the signature and the reason why in my people's language. For those who are sincere and need assistance, I will still be there for-I really like and appreciate the PMs and the emails. Those who live in the same geographical region as I will still meet me in person from time to time as before.

Plus the most important thing of all. I am sticking with my local bikes shops in my area from now on for anything from bikes to little accessories. I want my hard earn few dollars to go to my fellow community members who understand my needs and I can see what I am buying. The hell with online repetition of products that are actually nearby. I don’t live in some hick backwater village or hamlet. The same goes with fabrics and notions for the quilts and bags.

Some of my choices include:

Last edited by folder fanatic; 02-10-12 at 10:13 PM.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 10:31 PM   #2
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,789
You might benefit from coming down from that mountain of self-importance. You seem to think if you never posted here any more, there would be this huge empty gulf. Sorry to break this to you, but if you quietly disappeared and never said a peep about it, it would make squat-all difference to this diatribe so quivering with self-importance. People come, people go. Only those who make a significant positive contribution are remembered with fondness.

So go forth and make your quilts and stuff. You (and us too) will be just fine. There might even be those who breathe a sigh of relief.

And you are wrong, there ARE free things in the world. Giving is one of those things.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-12, 11:37 PM   #3
rcnute
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 66
Well said.

It's a bike forum.

Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
You might benefit from coming down from that mountain of self-importance. You seem to think if you never posted here any more, there would be this huge empty gulf. Sorry to break this to you, but if you quietly disappeared and never said a peep about it, it would make squat-all difference to this diatribe so quivering with self-importance. People come, people go. Only those who make a significant positive contribution are remembered with fondness.

So go forth and make your quilts and stuff. You (and us too) will be just fine. There might even be those who breathe a sigh of relief.

And you are wrong, there ARE free things in the world. Giving is one of those things.
rcnute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 12:36 AM   #4
hopperja
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 892
If you're not Sheldon (which I know you're not because he would never write with such import), you won't be missed.
hopperja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 01:23 AM   #5
kamtsa
Senior Member
 
kamtsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,815
Good luck with your new direction FF. Life is made of chapters and it seems that you are starting a new one.
kamtsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 03:15 AM   #6
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,085
Best wishes! Ignore the GOF`s!
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 04:14 AM   #7
chagzuki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
Posts: 1,867
Dunno about the free stuff, I thought FF was aiming to generate some business out of sewing designs. I was curious about the Brompton bags but wasn't convinced it was worth the cash for some patterns that I wasn't sure would be useful to me. A better website with more pics may have helped.

Just to put all of your minds at rest, Chagzuki most likely isn't going anywhere. I know some of you might lose sleep at the thought that I might withdraw my weighty contributions to this forum. For your sakes I shall not do this, and I won't charge you for it. Though donations are welcome.
chagzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 04:36 AM   #8
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,789
heh heh made me chuckle
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 08:05 AM   #9
gringo_gus
Senior Member
 
gringo_gus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW England
Bikes: SL2-X; DT mini; Joey Sport
Posts: 611
I love you all. You have all made my life better. In a distant, online kind of way. Not like my flesh and blood friends and family. And most of you/us know that, and don't mind. Now gotta go and do some other stuff. Will be back though.
gringo_gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 09:43 AM   #10
Hot Rod Lincoln
"I'm the Man in Black"
 
Hot Rod Lincoln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Gardendale, AL
Bikes: IndyFab 29er SS, Surly CrossCheck, Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
Hello all,

I am in the process of making some major life decisions. This is going to affect my time on both this particular forum on Bike Forums and the Website series I have operated up to now from this point on in subtle and more graphic ways. So here is a brief run down on what to expect.

There are so much time in a 24 hour period. I have to make a hard choice between all my online activities (i.e. my forum/website/streaming/research) and my offline designing/sewing/packaging ones & bicycling. The one I chose is the one most popular and more enjoyable for me. I choose that particular something that is tangible and I can sleep under at night. My quilts and other sewing projects win. Computers do not keep you warm at night or carry your luggage on a bicycle. My sewing machines make the bags and quilts to do these things for myself and others.

My bicycles are also chosen over my online life. I have the 3 bicycles right now that are the best ones for the circumstances I find myself in now and the foreseeable future. Each has passed 2 emergency situations that cropped up unexpectedly over the past 2 months. The Brompton and The Raleigh Twenty during that awful windstorm that stuck the Los Angeles area just last December 1, and just today when I had to return a book to my local my other folding/separating bike, the beat up crappy looking West German made one, successfully transported myself and the book that was going to be overdue if late a few minutes before closing time. Therefore, they stay. I already purged those not-up-to-snuff Dahons out of my life forever.

The most important reason why my website series is not going to be fussed over anymore is something crtreedude, a regular poster on the Politics & Religion forum noticed as much as I have:



Remembering all that warm and fuzzy pseudo-support I seem to be getting over the past several months has sealed the deal for me. You will have to find the sites yourself from now on-the name of the primary site is still below in the signature and the reason why in my people's language. For those who are sincere and need assistance, I will still be there for-I really like and appreciate the PMs and the emails. Those who live in the same geographical region as I will still meet me in person from time to time as before.

Plus the most important thing of all. I am sticking with my local bikes shops in my area from now on for anything from bikes to little accessories. I want my hard earn few dollars to go to my fellow community members who understand my needs and I can see what I am buying. The hell with online repetition of products that are actually nearby. I don’t live in some hick backwater village or hamlet. The same goes with fabrics and notions for the quilts and bags.

Some of my choices include:
I own my own website and have seen much better flounces than this. I am a relative newb here but had to comment on this thread. I am thinking of buying a folder (BF Pocket Llama) to tour with. I come here looking for information that would help me to make a good buying decision. It is just an obscure forum on an insignificant corner of the internet and should not be taken so personally by those that post on it. Lighten up a bit. It is not the end of the world. Take a little time away and then come back, looking with fresh eyes. It will be okay!
Hot Rod Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 09:57 AM   #11
kamtsa
Senior Member
 
kamtsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagzuki View Post
Just to put all of your minds at rest, Chagzuki most likely isn't going anywhere.
We know. It was on CNN last night.
kamtsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 10:03 AM   #12
jefmcg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2
Posts: 710
tl;dr
jefmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 10:14 AM   #13
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,086
my folding whim is at Another house now,

second Brommy, and a BF PL, puts it into a more than a whim category.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 05:42 PM   #14
chagzuki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
We know. It was on CNN last night.
I couldn't watch it as at the time, as now, I was staying on this forum.
chagzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 05:54 PM   #15
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
Good luck with your new direction FF. Life is made of chapters and it seems that you are starting a new one.
Thank you. I am very excited about this new direction I have chosen for myself and the bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
Best wishes! Ignore the GOF`s!
Thank you. I will.

As for the others:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
You might benefit from coming down from that mountain of self-importance. You seem to think if you never posted here any more, there would be this huge empty gulf. Sorry to break this to you, but if you quietly disappeared and never said a peep about it, it would make squat-all difference to this diatribe so quivering with self-importance. People come, people go. Only those who make a significant positive contribution are remembered with fondness.

So go forth and make your quilts and stuff. You (and us too) will be just fine. There might even be those who breathe a sigh of relief.

And you are wrong, there ARE free things in the world. Giving is one of those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnute View Post
Well said.

It's a bike forum.

Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopperja View Post
If you're not Sheldon (which I know you're not because he would never write with such import), you won't be missed.
Sheldon is dead so we are not likely to hear from him again unless he is channeled by a medium. The observation of value of freebies was made by another person in another forum, so I felt that another person has the same thoughts on the subject. Sadly, I think that this and similar forums have gone down some like the old far cruder LISTSERV did, forcing others quietly into the Good Night of dropping out.

I did not say never, just periodic posting from time to time. I simply decided not to renew the Websites's option as they are not needed by me anymore except as online PS storage. And my family lawyer felt that my time was better used elsewhere-like in my own region and realtime.

Actually, I made this decision 2 months ago. I wrote about 3/4 of the notice and saved it for posting now after careful thought and seeing where the cards fell. Plus during that period, I wanted to verify some requests offline that I had to meet-and did so.

Most of you are so right. I am just as equally important as the next guy-not more so like some of you have been acting. Or plain ass mean to each other besides myself.

Besides, I needed some answers and I got them. I can make the best decision for myself now.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 02-11-12 at 06:55 PM.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 08:03 PM   #16
Foldable Two
Senior Member
 
Foldable Two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA
Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger
Posts: 1,319
FF,

Noticed you new 'Location' Descriptor: "Gangland, USA".

Have things changed that much on the East side of L.A? Figure you new life doesn't include working for the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce.

Good Luck in your new direction.

Lou
(A Former So.CA Resident as of 7/13/2011)
Foldable Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 09:13 PM   #17
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldable Two View Post
FF,

Noticed you new 'Location' Descriptor: "Gangland, USA".

Have things changed that much on the East side of L.A? Figure you new life doesn't include working for the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce.

Good Luck in your new direction.

Lou
(A Former So.CA Resident as of 7/13/2011)
Thank you so much. I hope you are fully moved in and happy with your new place now.

Where I live, we have had some changes in this locale. The area is undergoing "gentrification" by the mostly young white Hipster crowd. The changes might look good as far as propping up property values go. But for actual renting, the rents shot up very high-higher than someone who is on a fixed pension can afford. And some of the more stable elderly room/apartment renting crowd has moved out. Hipsters generally does not patronize the small business stores that were established for them. They bypass them for the most part and go to the local Target stores and similar big box ones-making many more empty storefronts than before they came. I feel they are a bit, well, flaky and unpredictable and not very much a stable part of this community. I don't see them as a lasting force here for positive change. Just shaking up the status quo here and the gangbangers will be even more pleased to get them out and go back to business as usual.
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 07:16 AM   #18
gringo_gus
Senior Member
 
gringo_gus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NW England
Bikes: SL2-X; DT mini; Joey Sport
Posts: 611
folder fanatic, for all my earlier glibness, I hope that if you do depart, you also will return. I do learn so much about the everyday lives of folding-folks from their postings here, including yours, and it is so easy to (mis)read the wrong intent into others' posting, which may be meant as humorous, ironic etc - and sometimes, too, we get out the bed the wrong side, bring life's woes to the list etc etc.

As the man said, what's so funny about peace, love and understanding ?
gringo_gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 11:19 AM   #19
vik 
cyclopath
 
vik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad
Posts: 5,265
Just a few thoughts:

- prioritizing your life and spending your time on the most important things makes total sense
- people value free services [ie. Google, BikeForums.net, etc...] just fine as long as they provide some value to the people in question

Good luck with your new direction in life. I hope you find it rewarding...
__________________
safe riding - Vik
VikApproved
vik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 11:56 AM   #20
Clownbike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post
Thank you so much. I hope you are fully moved in and happy with your new place now.

Where I live, we have had some changes in this locale. The area is undergoing "gentrification" by the mostly young white Hipster crowd. The changes might look good as far as propping up property values go. But for actual renting, the rents shot up very high-higher than someone who is on a fixed pension can afford. And some of the more stable elderly room/apartment renting crowd has moved out. Hipsters generally does not patronize the small business stores that were established for them. They bypass them for the most part and go to the local Target stores and similar big box ones-making many more empty storefronts than before they came. I feel they are a bit, well, flaky and unpredictable and not very much a stable part of this community. I don't see them as a lasting force here for positive change. Just shaking up the status quo here and the gangbangers will be even more pleased to get them out and go back to business as usual.
Hmmmm...sounds like Silverlake. Don't most of the hipsters shop on Melrose anymore? After parking the Harley in front of Johnny Rockets. In any case, the yups could be considered an improvement over gangbangers.

Good luck with your new endeavors.
Clownbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 02:59 PM   #21
Chop!
Senior Member
 
Chop!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Cymru (Wales)
Bikes: GoBike, Long-john, Strida III, Oke Ja recumbent, Brompton, Moulton, BSA, Strida 5
Posts: 863
Hope you get your stiches in, in time to save nine
Sounds like you've got it all sewn up.
Good luck, you old sew & sew.
Thanks for all the links you found.
__________________
A to Z of Folding Bikes, Designers, Sellers, Accessories, Forums, Meetings, Publications
My bicycle site
My Microcar & alternate energy vehicle site.
Site for the Rock& Roll Tour Bus that I drive.
Chop! The mad Welshman, lost in the urban jungle somewhere between LLanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Vladivostock!
Chop! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 09:02 PM   #22
folder fanatic
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
folder fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Anti Social Media-Land
Bikes:
Posts: 3,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo_gus View Post
folder fanatic, for all my earlier glibness, I hope that if you do depart, you also will return. I do learn so much about the everyday lives of folding-folks from their postings here, including yours, and it is so easy to (mis)read the wrong intent into others' posting, which may be meant as humorous, ironic etc - and sometimes, too, we get out the bed the wrong side, bring life's woes to the list etc etc.

As the man said, what's so funny about peace, love and understanding ?
As I said before, I will come back from time to time if there is something that I feel confident or knowledgeable enough to comment on a given topic. My time on the computer seems to have dropped some since a couple or months ago. And the quilting/sewing offline time seems to have sucked up the remaining time that was once spent on the Websites and most of the Forums-including this one. I changed my Avatar and signature to reflect this. I am giving my computer and broadband access over to my sister who is far more into computers and the new technology than I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik View Post
Just a few thoughts:

- prioritizing your life and spending your time on the most important things makes total sense
- people value free services [ie. Google, BikeForums.net, etc...] just fine as long as they provide some value to the people in question

Good luck with your new direction in life. I hope you find it rewarding...
Agree. Since I embark on this new branch, I seem to be a better person (not so harried).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbike View Post
Hmmmm...sounds like Silverlake. Don't most of the hipsters shop on Melrose anymore? After parking the Harley in front of Johnny Rockets. In any case, the yups could be considered an improvement over gangbangers.

Good luck with your new endeavors.
Silverlake is one Hipster colony (if that is the right term), but they are branching out farther east as well-even cheaper to live. Perhaps in a sense Hipsters might be an improvement. Unless you are almost run down by a Dutch bicycle riding one on a sidewalk with no warning bell (I thought Dutch bikes came with one).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop! View Post
Hope you get your stiches in, in time to save nine
Sounds like you've got it all sewn up.
Good luck, you old sew & sew.
Thanks for all the links you found.
You are so welcome!
folder fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:06 PM.