Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    The British Bike That Can


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j5K2eFN1oU&feature=related

    How about something that is a bit different from the usual run-of-the-mill posts and threads presenting the same oh-hum repetitious topics running amok though this particular forum?

    In case you miss this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anivaFwHKeM&feature=endscreen&NR=1

    BBC2 Programme 'Made in Britain' excerpt featuring Brompton. Broadcast on 20/06/2011.
    Last edited by folder fanatic; 04-09-12 at 07:29 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    Brompton H6L raw lacquer (2012)
    Posts
    177
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing! Interesting videos!
    2012 Brompton H6L raw lacquer, hub dynamo lights, eazy wheels, C + Mini O bag, Ergon GP-1 biokork S grip shift, Lightweights spoke reflectors, Saddle Adapter pin.

  3. #3
    smallwheelsonly
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ca.
    My Bikes
    SmallWheelOnly
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brompton Britains biggest bike manufacturer !

    why?


    because our family bought 6 of them !

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    My Bikes
    Tern Verge Duo(PINK!)
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a second part to the first video?
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...lo-from-Taipei!
    你好!
    Currently riding a Tern Verge Duo(PINK!)

  5. #5
    Senior Member rex615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cherryville, NC
    Posts
    979
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for putting those up, interesting videos.

  6. #6
    smallwheelsonly
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ca.
    My Bikes
    SmallWheelOnly
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the 2nd video i think is the 2nd part

    what im looking is the 3rd 4th 5th........parts

    program too interesting and too short !

    I want to see where Raleigh starts mocking Alex Moulton on his small wheel invention saying there was no market for such bikes and then eventually copying the brilliant idea making the Raleigh Twenty one of its longest successful line of high seller bikes discontinues it then Raleigh goes bankrupt eventually and Moulton and Brompton becomes the most successful and beloved Bike manufacturer in England of this decade

    Raleigh is now but a name bought and sold so many times I don't even which company owns it[the name]. sad! I love my Raleighs though

  7. #7
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EM42 View Post
    Brompton Britains biggest bike manufacturer !

    why?


    because our family bought 6 of them !


    Quote Originally Posted by Taipei Tony View Post
    Is there a second part to the first video?
    Quote Originally Posted by EM42 View Post
    the 2nd video i think is the 2nd part

    what im looking is the 3rd 4th 5th........parts

    program too interesting and too short !

    I want to see where Raleigh starts mocking Alex Moulton on his small wheel invention saying there was no market for such bikes and then eventually copying the brilliant idea making the Raleigh Twenty one of its longest successful line of high seller bikes discontinues it then Raleigh goes bankrupt eventually and Moulton and Brompton becomes the most successful and beloved Bike manufacturer in England of this decade

    Raleigh is now but a name bought and sold so many times I don't even which company owns it[the name]. sad! I love my Raleighs though
    Not exactly. I have located a longer version at eight and a half minutes offered here on this Website (unable to directly post a viewing window like I could with Youtube videos. You will have to visit it over there):
    http://www.jokeroo.com/videos/viral/british-bike.html

    It has more equally interesting content than the above original Youtube version making it like it's second part.
    Last edited by folder fanatic; 04-10-12 at 09:51 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    832
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC Made in Britain video is the very definition of self-reassuring propaganda. Some choice quotes:

    "But hey, if you find enough small profitable niches, you can build a large affluent economy."

    "China may be able to make specialist bikes like these some day, but they won't compete with us while we have an advantage in design, skills, and branding."

    "Brompton shows that dynamic companies and dynamic economies are built on the back of doing things others can't do, rather than competing with them in things they can."

    *Wow*, that is head-in-the-sand. Keep Calm and Carry On! All this despite the Brompton design team guy himself giving level-headed and well-reasoned comments in the video.

  9. #9
    Banned. folder fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anti Social Media-Land
    Posts
    3,076
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What most matters is this: this bike is actually built-not just distributed-in the UK. It employs people there directly (at the factory) and indirectly (buys services and parts locally when available that the factory does not have or cover). Talk is just that-talk. No substance, no physical end product.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    My Bikes
    Tern Verge Duo(PINK!)
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by folder fanatic View Post


    Not exactly. I have located a longer version at eight and a half minutes offered here on this Website (unable to directly post a viewing window like I could with Youtube videos. You will have to visit it over there):
    http://www.jokeroo.com/videos/viral/british-bike.html

    It has more equally interesting content than the above original Youtube version making it like it's second part.
    Thanks! That was the entire clip!
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...lo-from-Taipei!
    你好!
    Currently riding a Tern Verge Duo(PINK!)

  11. #11
    smallwheelsonly
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ca.
    My Bikes
    SmallWheelOnly
    Posts
    279
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The BBC Made in Britain video is the very definition of self-reassuring propaganda

    isn't the communists that are masters of lies and propaganda than the capitalist? i think you got it the other way around

  12. #12
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "bloody good solution". That's Brompton in three words.
    Happier than a camel on wednesday.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •