Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Brompton Raw Lacquer Discoloration?

    Has anybody noticed any discolorations on their raw lacquer Brompton?

    Mine is brand new and I had thought it was just some water stains that would come right out but the discoloration is permanent. My thought is that the clearcoating was just very poorly done. Does anybody see this on theirs as well? I get that it's supposed to be "raw" in terms of the material, but this looks more like sloppy finishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,227
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all their other options are opaque powder coat. the lacquer is a wet spray ..

    My Guess: the production demands, have resulted in a speed-up at all phases of production.
    Brompton, world wide, now is the biggest selling bike, Made In England.
    and so the largest UK bicycle producer..

    Have you seen the old silent Charlie Chaplin film "Modern Times' ?
    (on the topic of production line speedup).

    hate it enough, return for a refund, or sell it yourself..

    My Brommy is Green, [ I got it 2nd hand ]
    Last edited by fietsbob; 06-06-12 at 12:04 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lot's Knife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    510
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCtud View Post
    Has anybody noticed any discolorations on their raw lacquer Brompton?

    Mine is brand new and I had thought it was just some water stains that would come right out but the discoloration is permanent. My thought is that the clearcoating was just very poorly done. Does anybody see this on theirs as well? I get that it's supposed to be "raw" in terms of the material, but this looks more like sloppy finishing.
    A known issue. And unacceptable, IMO.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My Bikes
    Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
    Posts
    1,833
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what produces this effect? Is this the surface of the steel or something opaque that's found it's way into the clear coat?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chagzuki View Post
    So what produces this effect? Is this the surface of the steel or something opaque that's found it's way into the clear coat?
    I'm guessing that the clear coat paint that they used was just not mixed properly and some of the less transparent parts caused these streaks. That or the paint was not dried properly. I'm totally guessing though so I'm hoping someone who has had this issue as well can chime in. As per Lot's Knife, the more I look at it, it's simply not acceptable considering the premium they are charging for this color. I'd rather get a reasonably priced and properly done powder coat than a horribly done custom clear coat color.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 1/8 Inch frame in raw with lacquer and it has rust spots under it.
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynocoaster View Post
    I have a 1/8 Inch frame in raw with lacquer and it has rust spots under it.
    What's a 1/8 inch frame? I thought all Brompton frames are basically identical unless you're talking about a different type of bike with its own raw lacquer finish?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,073
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry , the company is 1/8 Inch.
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,227
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NB , if you contact Brompton In UK , thru their website, there are replies made.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •