Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Philadelphia PA
Replacing Downtube 8H Daily Commute - Tern?
My Downtube 8H is done, unless I can find a replacement frame. I have a daily commute (4 miles each way) including Amtrak, with a steep hill.
I'm a little unsure on replacement. Suggestions?
characteristics I'm looking for:
- stiff ride for downhill 35-40 MPH with good brakes a must!
- 32 gear inches for uphill (to 17% grade) [I lowered the 8H gearing from 46T to 43T]
- I have an internal hub - prefer but not required.
- 3x daily fold for train commute. 20" wheel is fine
- year round commuting in work clothes - fenders standard or can add.
- do not need or want any suspension.
- rider: 180 lbs 6' even
I ride 150-175 days of the year so dependability and durability is a concern.
I'm not interested in Brompton. The Swift has a little too big a fold.
Are there any Dahons worth considering - I had been worried about parts and quality.
I was thinking Tern D7i although the top gearing is a little low.
Last edited by JugglerDave; 07-14-12 at 06:29 AM.