Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-12, 05:19 PM   #1
LDB
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
LDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: greater Houston
Bikes:
Posts: 257
Greenzone vs others

Looking at the Greenzone website the bikes look pretty good but then that's what websites are supposed to do. I'm sure a $600 Tern is a better bike than a $300 Greenzone but could those with knowledge of them comment on comparison of the two? Thanks.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 01:34 PM   #2
Jude
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: West Philly, PA
Bikes:
Posts: 595
Just found your thread by searching since I'm looking at a Greenzone bike on craigslist right now. Basically, the $300 model from Greenzone (currently on sale for 200 by the way) is made of pretty low-end steel and has absolute bottom of the barrel components. It weighs a ton, which will make you unhappy on hills, and the reliability of the parts is likely to cause you headaches. Derailer going out of tune constantly, brakes doing the same and generally underperforming, wheels always out of true, that kinda thing.

That said, I'm pretty inclined to pick up the one I'm looking at if I can get the guy down to about $100, because I just want it for a beater/commuter bike for riding around the city so I don't have to leave my nicer bike locked outside exposed to the elements, thieves and vandals. If all you're doing is cruising around town (especially a relatively flat city like where I live) it might be a good investment.
Jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 02:38 PM   #3
Dynocoaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Too many....................
Posts: 3,075
The Tern Link D8 is an 8 speed. 26.7 lbs. Aluminium
Green Zone is a 7 speed 32 lbs. hi tensile steel

The Tern has nicer components and tires.
Dynocoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 04:29 PM   #4
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 628
At $300 you don't have to settle for a heavy steel bike; the Origami Crane is aluminum and only 25 lbs (26.6lbs with rack and fender which are included in the base price).
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 08:35 PM   #5
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,993
Rarely are posted specs accurate nor is an aluminum frame necessarily better than steel. There are just so many variables involved that 'paper' comparisons are moot. I have yet to evaluate a Tern or the Greenzone bikes so I have no valid input there but what I can tell you from experience is that cheap isn't necessarily 'crap', what works for most doesn't mean it will work for you and rave reviews can be written by the ignorant who paid for a particular bike with their own money in which case the more money they spent, the more apt they are to convince others that they made a wise choice.

My advice is to heed the input from individuals who have a good reputation for being knowledgeable. <catch22/>
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 01:25 AM   #6
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,788
"High-tensile" is code for heavy, thick-walled tubing. It is the worst for frame materials except maybe mild steel. Oh hang on, lead is worse again.

Manufacturing in China has long ago progressed to good quality welding a routine thing in aluminium. So it is a no-brainer that a cheap Chinese origin aluminium bike is going to be better than a cheap Chinese origin high-tensile steel bike.

It is also a no-brainer to choose the Origami which has been well supported here by the business owner. I would regard those bikes as inexpensive not cheap.

Be warned - buying an inexpensive folding bike is the first manifested symptom of the almost incurable folderitis which leads to uncontrollable folder-buying.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 06:38 AM   #7
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts unknown
Bikes:
Posts: 4,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
"High-tensile" is code for heavy, thick-walled tubing. It is the worst for frame materials except maybe mild steel.
Uh, what are Brompton frames made from?
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 09:19 AM   #8
kamtsa
Senior Member
 
kamtsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Uh, what are Brompton frames made from?
"high tensile steel alloys"

http://www.brompton.co.uk/page.asp?p=3088
kamtsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 11:28 AM   #9
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,087
Tube wall thickness and diameter influences the weight and strength.

and durability..

If you really want to know what a steel alloy is , take a number .
4130 is specific, and different from 4150, for example.

OP wanted a cheap bike that was not a thief magnet.. that one probably qualifies.

I wonder how many of he companies import the same bike,
just specifying their name be painted on it.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 07:13 PM   #10
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Uh, what are Brompton frames made from?
High tensile steel wise guy. It still remains the bottom of the list for frame materials.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 07:40 PM   #11
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
High tensile steel wise guy. It still remains the bottom of the list for frame materials.
That depends on your list.
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 10:21 AM   #12
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
High tensile steel wise guy. It still remains the bottom of the list for frame materials.
The choice of materials is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. The properties of each alloy (yes, every variety of steel is alloy of iron, carbon, chromium, magnesium, manganese, nickel, and other elements) depend upon the makeup, the processing, strain hardening, heat treatments, etc. The material's malleability, toughness, tensile strength, and other material properties are considered when determining the "best" options for a design.

Carbon nano-tubes are incredible, but trying to make a bike that will sell for under $10,000, they are impractical. Steel is great choice for a tough frame with enough ductility to absorb impacts without deformation or cracking. Aluminum has great rigidity and an impressive tensile strength to weight ratio.

There is room in the market for a variety of materials.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I am one of those engineers that actually loved Mechanics of Materials classes.
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 10:40 AM   #13
Ozonation
Senior Member
 
Ozonation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
The choice of materials is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. The properties of each alloy (yes, every variety of steel is alloy of iron, carbon, chromium, magnesium, manganese, nickel, and other elements) depend upon the makeup, the processing, strain hardening, heat treatments, etc. The material's malleability, toughness, tensile strength, and other material properties are considered when determining the "best" options for a design.

Carbon nano-tubes are incredible, but trying to make a bike that will sell for under $10,000, they are impractical. Steel is great choice for a tough frame with enough ductility to absorb impacts without deformation or cracking. Aluminum has great rigidity and an impressive tensile strength to weight ratio.

There is room in the market for a variety of materials.

Sorry for the diatribe, but I am one of those engineers that actually loved Mechanics of Materials classes.
LOL... we're moving offices to a new building, and I was just packing up some mechanics textbooks just now. Nothing like twisting a steel rod 30 or 40 times until it broke!
Ozonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 05:44 PM   #14
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
The choice of materials is not a one-size-fits-all proposition. The properties of each alloy (yes, every variety of steel is alloy of iron, carbon, chromium, magnesium, manganese, nickel, and other elements) depend upon the makeup, the processing, strain hardening, heat treatments, etc. The material's malleability, toughness, tensile strength, and other material properties are considered when determining the "best" options for a design.
Yes but AFAIK there still isn't anything lower on the list of choice for bike frame materials.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 06:54 PM   #15
Dynocoaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Too many....................
Posts: 3,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
Yes but AFAIK there still isn't anything lower on the list of choice for bike frame materials.
Wood?
Dynocoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 07:20 PM   #16
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Bikes:
Posts: 9,350
Carbon Steel?
himespau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 07:46 PM   #17
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster View Post
Wood?
Quote:
Originally Posted by himespau View Post
Carbon Steel?
I think even bamboo supplants carbon steel.
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 07:56 PM   #18
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
Yes but AFAIK there still isn't anything lower on the list of choice for bike frame materials.
It depends on the bike's purpose and the preference of the user. As far as I'm concerned 'carbon' frames are at the bottom of my list. Aluminum (aluminium) is next then titanium with steel alloys being my favorite. But then I'm an old utilitarian type (non-weight weenie carmudgeon) bike riding kinda guy. I'd choose an old EF Schwinn over a Cervelo carbon any day.
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 08:29 PM   #19
edwong3
Senior Member
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 744
HUH??? You ignore the fact that they (Greenzone) sell an aluminum model that was selling for $299 until recently (Went up in price) and weighs 27 lbs. The components are not "absolute bottom of the barrel" either. Last I checked, Shimano Tourney is pretty decent. The steel model at $199 seems like a good value for what it is.

Someone who has deeper pockets, and an appreciation for higher end bikes are not a candidate to buy a Greenzone, but that does't mean it's not a legitimate competitor or that there isn't a market for them.

The OP asked for opinions from people who have knowledge of this bike.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
Just found your thread by searching since I'm looking at a Greenzone bike on craigslist right now. Basically, the $300 model from Greenzone (currently on sale for 200 by the way) is made of pretty low-end steel and has absolute bottom of the barrel components. It weighs a ton, which will make you unhappy on hills, and the reliability of the parts is likely to cause you headaches. Derailer going out of tune constantly, brakes doing the same and generally underperforming, wheels always out of true, that kinda thing.

That said, I'm pretty inclined to pick up the one I'm looking at if I can get the guy down to about $100, because I just want it for a beater/commuter bike for riding around the city so I don't have to leave my nicer bike locked outside exposed to the elements, thieves and vandals. If all you're doing is cruising around town (especially a relatively flat city like where I live) it might be a good investment.

Last edited by edwong3; 09-12-12 at 08:36 PM.
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 AM.