Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 12 of 137 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 3406

Thread: swift folders

  1. #276
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All,

    I am the proud owner of a new silver Xootr Swift and so far really love it! Since the most knowledgable and experienced Swift folks seem to post in this thread, I wonder if I might get a question answered. I know that many riders don't like or use kickstands but I really don't want to always have to lean my bike against a nearby vertical object, even if such an object can be found! I've looked at the LBS's and they stock only the generic aluminum Greenfield's that mount in a traditional kickstand plate. There is a crosspiece near the front of the chainstays that has a hole in it (too small for the Greenfield's screw) but it is tubular, not flat, and I don't want to take a chance on crushing or scarring this piece or the tops of the chainstays. Is there a particular kickstand that anyone has tried that fits and works well and looks, how do I say it, not too bad?. Should i look for a rear stay mount, an axle mount, or am I going to have to fabricate something?

    I have looked online at the Greenfield SKS2B Stabilizer kickstand <http://www.greenfieldny.com/chart_bicycle.htm#stabilizer>, the Tranz-X Stay Mount Adjustable kickstand <http://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/KI2100>, and the Summit Adjustable kickstand <http://www.wilsonbike.com/pdf%20catalog/accessories/2005_accs_kickstand.pdf>. Unfortunately it isn't possible to tell from the pictures and sketchy descriptions whether these will fit. Anyone have an opinion on this?

    Thanks in advance for the help!

    Tom

  2. #277
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Axle-mount is out-of-the-question, unless you have no plans of folding your Swift. Chainstay mount would probably be your best bet, so long as the stand (in retracted position) doesn't extend past the rear wheel and catch the ground when you fold up the bike.

    Wav would probably have the best answer for you, since he is the SAK (Swift Accessories King).

  3. #278
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift
    Axle-mount is out-of-the-question, unless you have no plans of folding your Swift. Chainstay mount would probably be your best bet, so long as the stand (in retracted position) doesn't extend past the rear wheel and catch the ground when you fold up the bike.

    Wav would probably have the best answer for you, since he is the SAK (Swift Accessories King).

    @james_swift: Thanks a lot for the info. Perhaps Wav will drop by soon and offer his thoughts (if he isn't too busy riding!).

    Cheers,
    Tom

  4. #279
    Folding bike junkie! Wavshrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with a normal Greenfield aluminum kickstand. I used plastic strips to protect the frame. So far no issues and works well. It mounts just behind the bottom bracket and easily holds my Swift up when the panniers are fully loaded. I used the Stabilizer version on a Dahon. I'll see if I can post a quick pic later. I have been out riding my new Merc and posting a ride report and some photos.

  5. #280
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wavshrdr
    I went with a normal Greenfield aluminum kickstand. I used plastic strips to protect the frame. So far no issues and works well. It mounts just behind the bottom bracket and easily holds my Swift up when the panniers are fully loaded. I used the Stabilizer version on a Dahon. I'll see if I can post a quick pic later. I have been out riding my new Merc and posting a ride report and some photos.
    Thanks, Wav. Any info and all suggestions are most welcome.

    Tom

  6. #281
    Folding bike junkie! Wavshrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to help. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

  7. #282
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    anyone ever put a thudbuster on swift?

    I am thinking of purchasing a xtoor swift and putting a thudbuster. However, I noticed that seatpost diameter of swift is 32.9mm. Unfortunately, thudbuster do not make one with that diameter.

    Anyone know or ever done this?

    Any info adn insight is appreciated!!!

    Thanks.

  8. #283
    Folding bike junkie! Wavshrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @bike8usa - Go to the Swift thread here and you will see a Thudbuster on a Swift. As far as I know I was the first person to mount a Thudbuster on a Swift. I have a Brooks Pro seat mounted on it. I also have Big Apple tires on my Swift which everyone said wasn't possible.

    swift folders

    The way to mount the Thudbuster is get a Dahon telescopic seatpost and remove the top part of it. Get a standard 27.2mm Thudbuster and it drops it. Another option is to buy the Dahon specific Thudbuster post but that costs more money.

    Hope that helps.

  9. #284
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the info.

    I guess that the seatpost diameter of a Dahon is 32.9mm as well.

    I will look into it.

    Thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wavshrdr
    @bike8usa - Go to the Swift thread here and you will see a Thudbuster on a Swift. As far as I know I was the first person to mount a Thudbuster on a Swift. I have a Brooks Pro seat mounted on it. I also have Big Apple tires on my Swift which everyone said wasn't possible.

    swift folders

    The way to mount the Thudbuster is get a Dahon telescopic seatpost and remove the top part of it. Get a standard 27.2mm Thudbuster and it drops it. Another option is to buy the Dahon specific Thudbuster post but that costs more money.

    Hope that helps.

  10. #285
    Folding bike junkie! Wavshrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you buy an aluminum framed Xootr or Swift you are fine. The older steel is a different size. You can also go with Big Apple tires if you want a fast but plush tire. Not a Stelvios type fast tire but pretty fast and the best ride of any tire for the Swift!

  11. #286
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Swift folder, 2000 Giant TCR Once, 1990 Bianchi Osprey
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New Swift finally arrives!

    Thanks again to everybody who has shared valuable insights in the folder section. After deciding that a folding bike was the way to go, armed with your information I ordered a Swift (black with yellow decal), which arrived this last week from Peter. Although cosmetically battered about by UPS, the bike is simple, elegant and beautiful. Taking it out for a short spin yesterday, I can tell that I have a fun summer ahead of me. It is light and nimble but has the feel of a traditional bike. The best part is that I don't have to worry about it being stolen from my garage (a condo that I share with nine others, from which four bikes have been stolen due to collective negligence), or from my terrace, as was my beloved 1982 Trek last summer. I can just bring it inside, fold it up and tuck it under the stairway. I also look forward to throwing it my hatchback and taking rides out of town. Brilliant!

  12. #287
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scotharr
    Thanks again to everybody who has shared valuable insights in the folder section. After deciding that a folding bike was the way to go, armed with your information I ordered a Swift (black with yellow decal), which arrived this last week from Peter. Although cosmetically battered about by UPS, the bike is simple, elegant and beautiful. Taking it out for a short spin yesterday, I can tell that I have a fun summer ahead of me. It is light and nimble but has the feel of a traditional bike. The best part is that I don't have to worry about it being stolen from my garage (a condo that I share with nine others, from which four bikes have been stolen due to collective negligence), or from my terrace, as was my beloved 1982 Trek last summer. I can just bring it inside, fold it up and tuck it under the stairway. I also look forward to throwing it my hatchback and taking rides out of town. Brilliant!
    Welcome to the brotherhood of Swift!

    I know the feeling...I, too, had a Specialized bike stolen from a terrace in San Francisco after only 10 minutes (unattended bikes go fast here)!

    Now don't be alarmed by what I am about to say next...

    LET'S SEE THAT BIKE!

    I know I speak for the rest of the Swiftazoids here when I say that we love to see pictures of Swifts...can't get enough of them.

  13. #288
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Swift folder, 2000 Giant TCR Once, 1990 Bianchi Osprey
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your pain! I recently lived for a few years in SF and had yet another Trek stolen out of my garage when I was on vacation. I'm hoping that the Swift represents the end to all of that.
    I've attached a picture. If you look closely you'll see a couple of gouges in the paint which I will fix as soon as I get touchup paint from Peter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #289
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Swift - 6 month report

    Hello everyone,

    well, I've been lurking since my previous posts back last Summer, when I first got my swift folder. It's been a horrid winter here in Manchester, England, but I've occasionally braved the cold and rain on the Swift.

    And riding it yesterday, I thought it might be useful to give a 6 month appraisal.

    In a word - fabulous. This bike is as solid and fast as the day it turned up...it's grown with me as I've got a little fitter. Some key things:

    * Keep the tires pumped really high. I've got Primo comets, which are incredibly tough, but need to be kept rock-hard...I've ridden them a few times without bothering to pump them - the difference in ride is extraordinary. A hard tire maximises the responsiveness and ride dynamics.

    * Sinking seat-post. Well, user-error to blame here. I'd zealously greased the seatpost, but had obviously whacked too much on, as it would sink during the course of a ride. I've wiped most of it off, and it holds fine.

    * A longer handlebar stem/riser. I bought a longer handlebar stem (the horizontal extender bit) which extended my body over the bike. It had the desired effect of stabilising the ride, in fact, it changed the characteristic of the bike significantly...much less 'squirrelly'. But I changed it back to the original - I prefer being more upright, and I like the extra responsiveness from the original geometry.

    * Ergon bargrips. I did replace the handlebar grips for the Ergon's. In fact, I chnaged them back again to compare. Ouch. The Ergon's really remove any aching from extended riding, and have nifty little 'horn's that I can hold whilst riding uphill. Highly recommended.

    * Nexus 7 speed hub. I'm really pleased with this, although I would prefer a lower (higher?) gearing for going downhill, but it's a minor issue. The simplicity of the design, the ability to change gear at lights, and the lack of a derailleur to whack, is fantastic. The extra weight is far outweighed (sorry, couldn't resist) by the benefits...for a folding bike, it's a no-brainer option (apart from a fixed gear

    * Mudguards (fenders?). Hmm, I bought a quick remove mudguard, but it doesn't stop water flipping up the inside part of the wheel. I'm going to track down a semi-circle style mudguard that covers the entire upper surface of the wheel, and has a large flap at the rear to catch any spray. I got soaked yesterday when it started raining, due to the elegant, but ultimately useless quick release half-wheel guard.

    * The fold. It's fabulous. Re-defined my ability to cycle - e.g., it started snowing yesterday, so I jumped on a local tram (no bikes allowed) for the last leg home...a folded bike is allowed on trains etc. here. I bought my girlfriend a second-hand Birdy, which folds much smaller, but the fold is so bloody complicated, it takes a good minute or so to figure out the optimal pedal position, which bit of the handlebar should fold first etc. The Swift is such a simple, 5 second fold, which is adequate for most occasions. I've not got tired of folding this bike...the elegance of the design thinking in this bike is making me smile.

    * The frame. I've not had issues with the frame. I'm a big guy (228 lbs) and this thing has had me standing on the axle, pushing up hills., riding heavy pot-holded roads and jumping up kerbs. It's immaculate. The folding mechanism is smooth, the frame is as solid as the first day, and the component choice (deore xt levers, lx everything else) of Peter's has proved solid. The only grips is the scuffing of the paint by the cables, when the bike is folded, but that may be trapped grit under the cable housing.

    * Parts. I've not needed to buy any (apart from the handlebar and grips), but out of curiosity, been into a couple of bike shops. The use of standard road parts and bmx wheels is a stroke of genius. Tyres, wheels, pedals, handlebars you name it, all available in my bike shop.

    In short - this is as close the the perfect bicycle I could have wished for. I've got speed, robustness, and flexibility.

    And I'm glad I can take it into stores, restaurants etc. as the amount of admiring looks from kids I get almost guarantees this would get stolen if I locked it up somewhere :-)

  15. #290
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I just took delivery of a stock Swift (Xootr) and the tires are Kenda with max 65 psi. Calling the company they informed me that the bikes are now equipped with the lower pressure tires due to customers requesting tires for a more 'varied' terrain. I usually ride a Trek road bike with high pressure tires, but am pleasantly surprised that the 65 psi Kendas are plenty fast, and they absorb the bumps well enough that a 'Thudbuster' is not really needed. Other Xootr modifications are longer handlebars (esp the grip with the shifter).

    I do need to find a way to carry water...any ideas? flyhi46c

  16. #291
    Folding bike junkie! Wavshrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    754
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just use on of the Minoura mounts for water bottle holder. It clamps on and then you can bolt on the water bottle holder to it. Works great and isn't too expensive.

  17. #292
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi46c
    Hello, I just took delivery of a stock Swift (Xootr) and the tires are Kenda with max 65 psi. Calling the company they informed me that the bikes are now equipped with the lower pressure tires due to customers requesting tires for a more 'varied' terrain. I usually ride a Trek road bike with high pressure tires, but am pleasantly surprised that the 65 psi Kendas are plenty fast, and they absorb the bumps well enough that a 'Thudbuster' is not really needed. Other Xootr modifications are longer handlebars (esp the grip with the shifter).

    I do need to find a way to carry water...any ideas? flyhi46c
    That's interesting. When I first got my Swift, I posted on this board about the unusually narrow handlebars and very small grips ("children-sized"), and that the 100psi Kendas give a rather harsh ride in comparison with other high-pressure tires.

    I was actually told from a Xootr insider, that they do follow this thread, and from the looks of it, are also proactive about implementing changes in proportion to their customer's concerns. Very nice!

    Could you possibly post a picture of the new bar and grips, just as a reference?

  18. #293
    derailleurs are overrated bigbenaugust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    KIGX
    My Bikes
    2009 Motobecane Fantom CX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno SSCX
    Posts
    1,720
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will break 300mi on mine today, and it's true, the SRAM grips are inferior.
    --Ben
    Carrboro Bike Coalition - putting the "bike" in "CARrboro" :)
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Cross Uno, 2009 Motobecane Fantom CX
    Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014)
    Current Linux Usage (by machine): Arch: I Debian: I openSUSE: II

  19. #294
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a new stem for my Swift. It's a Kalloy "Guizzo". Note the odometer reading (300 of those miles were from my Dahon previously).

    CN-003

    Road
    Cold-forged stem plus CNC

    Extension ...... 90 mm
    Rise ............... -7deg
    Barbore ......... 26.0 mm
    Diameter ........ 25.4, 28.6 mm
    Height ........... 35 mm
    Weight .......... 145 grams (105E)
    Finish ............ Silver, Black
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by james_swift; 04-19-06 at 06:39 AM.

  20. #295
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hi Everybody

    This is my first post to bikeforums other than my intro. I've been looking for a folding bike - haven't been that thrilled with what I've seen in the bike shops here in Toronto. I am now considering a Swift and one of reasons is the infectious enthusiasm from everyone on this Swift thread. I would never have considered mailordering a bike that I hadn't seen + touched etc. but you guys have convinced me that it is a great riding bike.
    I do have some concerns, such as: I am about 5'2" in height and I would probably want to use a Thudbuster seatpost. When I look at pictures of a Swift posted by Cosmodc, whose stated height is aboout the same, I wonder if there is enough clearance. I haven't seen postings by Cosmodc recently, but if you are still around, would you measure the clearance for me? Thudbusters need abou 144 mils. or 5 1/2".
    Another concern about size: I want a fairly upright riding position. When I was looking at full sized bikes, even the smaller frames, I always felt too stretched out.
    Do you guys ever lock your bikes outside? I know they can be taken inside alot easier because they can fold. But the Swift is not that small a package and without a carrying bag, it could be awkward. If you lock it outside at all it seems to me you would need an Allen bolt instead of a quickrelease on the stem riser. The seatpost you take with you.
    Has anyone found a carrying bag that works well with the Swift?
    Thanks for your attention and I hope this thread continues. It is a great source of information and inspiration.
    P.S. There are some pictures that I've seen on this thread that I can't access anymore especially those posted by Wavshrdr of that great bike. All I get now is a blanc space with a little red x in the corner. I've tried to open it up but nothing happens. Is there anyway I can look at those again.

  21. #296
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keithk
    This is my first post to bikeforums other than my intro. I've been looking for a folding bike - haven't been that thrilled with what I've seen in the bike shops here in Toronto. I am now considering a Swift and one of reasons is the infectious enthusiasm from everyone on this Swift thread. I would never have considered mailordering a bike that I hadn't seen + touched etc. but you guys have convinced me that it is a great riding bike.
    I do have some concerns, such as: I am about 5'2" in height and I would probably want to use a Thudbuster seatpost. When I look at pictures of a Swift posted by Cosmodc, whose stated height is aboout the same, I wonder if there is enough clearance. I haven't seen postings by Cosmodc recently, but if you are still around, would you measure the clearance for me? Thudbusters need abou 144 mils. or 5 1/2".
    Another concern about size: I want a fairly upright riding position. When I was looking at full sized bikes, even the smaller frames, I always felt too stretched out.
    Do you guys ever lock your bikes outside? I know they can be taken inside alot easier because they can fold. But the Swift is not that small a package and without a carrying bag, it could be awkward. If you lock it outside at all it seems to me you would need an Allen bolt instead of a quickrelease on the stem riser. The seatpost you take with you.
    Has anyone found a carrying bag that works well with the Swift?
    Thanks for your attention and I hope this thread continues. It is a great source of information and inspiration.
    P.S. There are some pictures that I've seen on this thread that I can't access anymore especially those posted by Wavshrdr of that great bike. All I get now is a blanc space with a little red x in the corner. I've tried to open it up but nothing happens. Is there anyway I can look at those again.
    I don't think you'll have any issues with stem height. I'm 5'6", and with my saddle raised to 36.5" above the floor, the stempost is just at the same level as the top of the saddle. Add to this the 5-deg rise of the stock 60mm stem, and at your height, the saddle will be well below that of the handlebars. As for stretch, most new owners of Swifts tend to lean towards upgrading to longer stems as opposed to shorter, so again, stretch may not be a problem for you. If you can't get hold of Cosmodc, you can always email Xootr. They've been very responsive to all of my questions, even moreso after the sale.

  22. #297
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just some finishing touches on my Swift: the new Kalloy stem, and I trimmed-off an inch from the drop-bar ends to give it a more sleek look (an idea I got from a Trek roadbike I saw).



  23. #298
    Foobie
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift
    Just some finishing touches on my Swift: the new Kalloy stem, and I trimmed-off an inch from the drop-bar ends to give it a more sleek look (an idea I got from a Trek roadbike I saw).
    Quite spiffy-looking! One thing I don't quite understand, though: it seems like you're devoted to shaving off weight on the bike wherever possible, no? Why not take off the rear brake now that you're fixed gear?

    Just curious.

  24. #299
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    812
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarterlb
    Quite spiffy-looking! One thing I don't quite understand, though: it seems like you're devoted to shaving off weight on the bike wherever possible, no? Why not take off the rear brake now that you're fixed gear?

    Just curious.
    It's not a fixed-gear. That's my next project.

  25. #300
    Fledgling
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    NW DC
    My Bikes
    1969 Raleigh Twenty, Bike Friday Seasons Tikit
    Posts
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keithk
    I do have some concerns, such as: I am about 5'2" in height and I would probably want to use a Thudbuster seatpost. When I look at pictures of a Swift posted by Cosmodc, whose stated height is aboout the same, I wonder if there is enough clearance. I haven't seen postings by Cosmodc recently, but if you are still around, would you measure the clearance for me? Thudbusters need abou 144 mils. or 5 1/2".
    Check your private messages. I'm inclined to agree with james_swift though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •