Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 32 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast
Results 776 to 800 of 3428

Thread: swift folders

  1. #776
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zepi
    I use fixed 13T on 52T on the front chainwheel. As my hub is a flipflop, I would enjoy having a freewheel as an option. But the smallest freewheel available for my hub, has 16T. For me that is unridable with a 52T ring in the front, because i enjoy slow and hard pedaling.
    Dan's Comp has AC Claws freewheels down to 14T in both 1/8" and 3/32" (not sure what size your drivetrain is).

  2. #777
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zepi
    Thanks! Yes it is a very nice ride. Everything sort of fits together.
    Thanks for the excellent reply. And 'how to' pictures are always good too!

    New details emerge seeing the details - like - the little brass washers you've threaded onto the spokes to sit between the flange and the spoke head. I've not seen that before - it is to protect the flange holes or for some other reason - either way it looks rather nice. I love that sort of detailling. I also see you've wired and soldered the crosses. That must be a pretty bombproof wheel for so few spokes.

    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift
    Dan's Comp has AC Claws freewheels down to 14T in both 1/8" and 3/32"
    Thanks for the link to the freewheels!
    Have been looking for lower-toothed myself. Will all these fit on a normal track flip-flop hub?

  3. #778
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePixel
    Thanks for the link to the freewheels!
    Have been looking for lower-toothed myself. Will all these fit on a normal track flip-flop hub?
    Quoting Sheldon on this one:

    A single-speed (BMX) freewheel is a modular unit, consisting of a single sprocket and its associated freewheel (coasting) mechanism. These have standard 1.37" x 24 tpi threads, and fit on any hub that takes a thread-on freewheel. This includes BMX hubs, track hubs, and multi-speed freewheel hubs.
    ...but I just found this on the AC Claws 14T freewheel:

    AC Claws, Freewheel - for Flip-Flop Hubs (Uses small thread)
    So what does "small thread" mean? It says for flip-flop hubs, so it should be good, right?
    Last edited by james_swift; 12-11-06 at 10:54 AM.

  4. #779
    Seņor Mambo
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fremont, CA
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Bridgestone MB-6 700c, Ti-frame Xtracycle, RANS, Brompton, Dahon, Downtube IXFS, ex-Birdy & a recumbent pedicab.
    Posts
    1,343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittlePixel
    the little brass washers you've threaded onto the spokes to sit between the flange and the spoke head. I've not seen that before - it is to protect the flange holes...
    Yes:
    spoke head washers

  5. #780
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah - neat. I can't get them that cheaply but will probably get some for my next wheelbuild.
    h

  6. #781
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ulrich
    We're working on a couple of accessories at Xootr right now: (1) an "invisibility cloak" for carrying a folded Swift in disguise and (2) a nice rack. However, these are a few months off.
    I am really interested in a fine bag for my swift. I want to get in and out of the austrian train without discussing if this is a bike or not.
    There are some dahon-bags available at ebay, but I would like to avoid getting one just to find out that it doesn't fit with my swift. I think about sewing one out of two of those big IKEA-bags myself...

    Any suggestions?

  7. #782
    too many bikes
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zepi
    I want to get in and out of the austrian train without discussing if this is a bike or not.

    Any suggestions?
    Buy a "Nashbar Bike Transport Bag", currently $35 (less the usual 10% to 15% promo code, plus shipping), and address the length you don't need by sewing, heat-weld, rollup, zip-ties (cable ties), etc. I use the zip-tie method: melt two or three holes where you want to roll up the excess for a folder, zip-tie rolled up excess. If you need the extra room in the bag for clothing, gear, etc., use the full length of the bag.

    Extra step One: silk-screen "Steiermark Maler Staffelei" (Styria artist easel) on the side to keep the transit police asleep.
    Extra step Two: wear a beret when boarding the train.
    Extra step Three: finger-paint a mountain landscape on the bag; avoid bright colors.
    (I haven't needed the extra steps.)
    Last edited by maunakea; 12-17-06 at 09:07 PM.

  8. #783
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maunakea
    Extra step One: silk-screen "Steiermark Maler Staffelei" (Styria artist easel) on the side to keep the transit police asleep.
    Extra step Two: wear a beret when boarding the train.
    Extra step Three: finger-paint a mountain landscape on the bag; avoid bright colors.
    (I haven't needed the extra steps.)

    Thanks for your ideas...
    I'm not sure if I get your extra-steps though. Austrias trains are far from being escorted by grim MPs, even if the conductors are a little beefy sometimes. But I guess they are like that everywhere...
    Slightly off topic: I recently saw an excellent movie about uncanny train-rides that perfectly reflects the image of European trains. "Europa" from the danish director: Lars von Trier. See this movie, if you get the chance. It is outstanding! (but it is different in reality)

    Anyways, the posting gave me the idea to modify an old, worn out army duffel bag, that looks wonderfully used. I think it even has patched bullet-holes . It might fit well and would be very stylish... I'll post some images as soon as I got my bike in there...
    Last edited by zepi; 12-19-06 at 11:02 AM.

  9. #784
    Senior Member law4jba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South shore of Boston
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zepi

    Anyways, the posting gave me the idea to modify an old, worn out army duffel bag, that looks wonderfully used. It might fit well and would be very stylish... I'll post some images as soon as I have my bag.
    Please post if this solution works for you.

  10. #785
    too many bikes
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zepi
    Thanks for your ideas...
    I'm not sure if I get your extra-steps though.
    The extra-steps are American humor.

  11. #786
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new blue Swift arrived!

    The only hitch in setting-up the bike was the rear fork end spacing: apparently, Xootr changed this spacing at some point from 132.5mm to the standard MTB 135mm spacing. I needed to add 2 x 1mm spacers to my Surly fixed hub to up it to 134mm, but aside form that, everything else transferred over fine.

    The pictures don't do justice to the paint job. It's a super-glossy deep royal blue. I really hate taking this bike on my commute only to see it get banged-up and scratched-up on the train.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #787
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    My Bikes
    Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, ICE B1. Used to own: 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 2000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one, James!

    What, new handlebars again?? These constant makeovers are quite entertaining
    ICE B1, Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada drop-bar vintage mtb

  13. #788
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yangmusa
    Nice one, James!

    What, new handlebars again?? These constant makeovers are quite entertaining
    Ha! Yes, my Swift has multiple personality disorder. The bars are oversize (31.8mm) MTB 1.5" riser bars mounted to a 10-degree 110mm oversize road stem. Although not as hardcore as the bullhorns, I find the risers much more comfortable and the extra leverage handy for fixed-gear city riding. They're stout, stiff, and light. I lopped off about 2.5 inches on each end with my $4 pipe cutter.

    Oh, and by the way, Xootr changed the headset on the bike. This one adjusts perfectly (no slop, no bind). I'm hoping it stays that way after miles of pounding on SF's pothole-ridden streets.

  14. #789
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From he who once said:

    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift
    If you want to get serious, consider drop bars or TT-bars. My Swift is awesome with drop bars. I'll never go back to flat bars.
    Sorry James, I couldn't resist. And you'll be quite correct in point out that riser bars aren't flat! Personally, I like the look of flat and riser bars better on the Swift and most folders. Drops just look weird. But my hands can never get comfortable with my wrists in a flat bar position, so I'm aiming to put drops on my swift.

  15. #790
    Professional Fuss-Budget Bacciagalupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    6,384
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blue Swift, bleah... Sorry, but aesthetically I'm not into it, I vastly prefer the matte blue of my junky Dahon Mariner.

    By the way, has anyone here tried both Schwalbe Marathon Slicks and Big Apples on their Swifts? I'm running on the Slicks (at around 95 psi), which have nice rolling resistance but a harsh ride.

  16. #791
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ
    From he who once said:



    Sorry James, I couldn't resist. And you'll be quite correct in point out that riser bars aren't flat! Personally, I like the look of flat and riser bars better on the Swift and most folders. Drops just look weird. But my hands can never get comfortable with my wrists in a flat bar position, so I'm aiming to put drops on my swift.
    I wasn't riding fixed back then, but yeah, if you're serious about keeping up with the roadies, you gotta have drops. My riser bars at 50cm wide are terrible aerodynamic-wise, but are more practical for fixed-gear city riding where the upright position and more leverage make the bike more responsive when darting in and out of traffic. They also have a nice sweep back that make them very comfortable on the wrists. I'm never going back to flat bars!

  17. #792
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering, that the Swift Folders thread is one of the most frequented threads in the Folding Bike Forums, and things are getting a little jumbled: wouldn't it be a good idea to expand and create a plain swift-folder-gallery thread. I love to watch images of nice, customized swift machines... And maybe even more swift lovers will upload their images then. I simply can not get enough of those images.

  18. #793
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zepi
    Considering, that the Swift Folders thread is one of the most frequented threads in the Folding Bike Forums, and things are getting a little jumbled: wouldn't it be a good idea to expand and create a plain swift-folder-gallery thread. I love to watch images of nice, customized swift machines... And maybe even more swift lovers will upload their images then. I simply can not get enough of those images.
    I'm actually thinking of something similar, in that I'm surprised that there isn't a foldingbikeforums.net and foldingbikegallery.com .

  19. #794
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Swift article on NY1. Check out the RealMedia slideshow.

  20. #795
    too many bikes
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NY1: "Next come the handle bars, the wiring for the brakes and the pedals."
    One guess as to the gender of the reporter.

  21. #796
    Senior Member Polaris43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maunakea
    NY1: "Next come the handle bars, the wiring for the brakes and the pedals."
    One guess as to the gender of the reporter.
    so what are you trying to say?

  22. #797
    too many bikes
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To paraphrase, "Reporter, know thy lexicon."

  23. #798
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift
    A Swift article on NY1. Check out the RealMedia slideshow.
    Thanks for posting this, James! I ordered my Swift from Peter three months ago and it's great to see any new images, especially a video, to help get through the wait. Peter's got mine built up but it's waiting for its black powdercoat. After seeing the video I almost wish I'd gone with white...

  24. #799
    Senior Member Polaris43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maunakea
    To paraphrase, "Reporter, know thy lexicon."
    what's that got to do with gender?

  25. #800
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flea
    Thanks for posting this, James! I ordered my Swift from Peter three months ago and it's great to see any new images, especially a video, to help get through the wait. Peter's got mine built up but it's waiting for its black powdercoat. After seeing the video I almost wish I'd gone with white...
    I agree...Swift in white looks classy.

    So what are the specs on your custom Swift (drivetrain, wheels, bars, saddle, accessories, etc.)? Please tell.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •