Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 43 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 3428

Thread: swift folders

  1. #1051
    I like chrome. Donkey Hodie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Northeast
    My Bikes
    1983 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Mongoose ATB
    Posts
    285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those wheels look big.

  2. #1052
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charles vail
    I'm here to pump you up!!!
    Stop being such a girlyman and carry a full sized Zefal or Topeak frame pump. Nothing pumps as well, other than a floor pump or one that runs on electricity. You can also use one to wack dogs should that be neccessary. A tiny pump is almost as useless as no pump! And.......don't start whining about how much extra weight you'll be carrying! Don't eat that extra cookie and stop drinking so many mochas!
    hahaha - OK! wasn't actually planning on carrying the pump every day but didnt want one too bulky to fit in my bag for those times I wanted to. As you may know (this being the Swift folder thread) a conventional frame pump does not fit the Swift frame. So it's not about weight... heck just hoist my courier bag and you'll see..

    I do plan to buy a floor pump for home use those few times when my shop compressor isn't an option.

    PS - whack MY dog with a pump you may lose your arm at the elbow. He's got jaws like a crocodile. If you see him coming I urge ya to just start spinning those pedals as hard as you can.

  3. #1053
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hodie
    those wheels look big.
    That bike has the larger 451(?) mm rims and tires wedged into it. Look closely at the fork Y, it's been clearance cut to fit them.

  4. #1054
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh Swift Fixie Jedi Masters -

    Peter Riech wrote me back... " I'd go with a Sugino 103mm bb and R48 crankset when the time
    comes."

    Others here have recommended a 107mm BB, so can someone clarify why these might differ?

    Is an R48 crankset a Sugino product, or is that a generic size specification?

    Thanks for kind answers to stupid questions.

  5. #1055
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    hahaha - OK! wasn't actually planning on carrying the pump every day but didnt want one too bulky to fit in my bag for those times I wanted to. As you may know (this being the Swift folder thread) a conventional frame pump does not fit the Swift frame. So it's not about weight... heck just hoist my courier bag and you'll see..

    I do plan to buy a floor pump for home use those few times when my shop compressor isn't an option.

    PS - whack MY dog with a pump you may lose your arm at the elbow. He's got jaws like a crocodile. If you see him coming I urge ya to just start spinning those pedals as hard as you can.
    Yea......thats the one flaw with the otherwise perfect Swift design but what about putting a pump on top of the top (and only) tube? It seems the only place long enough. I purchased a Blackburn telescoping pump for my recumbent and it mounts on waterbottle mounts and seems fairly easy to get my 26x1.4" rear tire pumped plus its fairly compact when not opened up. I am probably going to be confronting this subject myself when I get my steel Swift. Still looking at a couple of options though......Bike Friday or a Swift, I go back and forth. Then a fine Raleigh20 became available to me that I can customize so I am perplexed to say the least. I've looked at several bikes and test rode a couple so I am convinced the folding 20" wheel format is both practical and a good ride.

  6. #1056
    Raleigh20 PugFixie, Merc LittlePixel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    London UK
    My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh Twenty Hotrod Fixie; 1984 Peugeot Premier Fixie, 2007 Merc Lightweight folder
    Posts
    1,963
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    That bike has the larger 451(?) mm rims and tires wedged into it
    Specs say thus:
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecult site specs
    ...'requiring same-size wheels, minimum diameter 55 centimeters (22-inches)
    So bigger even than 451s... Snug fit eh?

  7. #1057
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    hahaha - OK! wasn't actually planning on carrying the pump every day but didnt want one too bulky to fit in my bag for those times I wanted to. As you may know (this being the Swift folder thread) a conventional frame pump does not fit the Swift frame. So it's not about weight... heck just hoist my courier bag and you'll see..

    I do plan to buy a floor pump for home use those few times when my shop compressor isn't an option.

    PS - whack MY dog with a pump you may lose your arm at the elbow. He's got jaws like a crocodile. If you see him coming I urge ya to just start spinning those pedals as hard as you can.
    Here's a pump mounted on my bike pictured on the Xootr Site... I used a Minoura clamp... also, my dog Fred doesn't much care for being whacked either...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #1058
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to hijack the thread but I'm crazy about my dawg. Here's a shot of him... no that's not my rig he's riding in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #1059
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    hahaha - OK! wasn't actually planning on carrying the pump every day but didnt want one too bulky to fit in my bag for those times I wanted to. As you may know (this being the Swift folder thread) a conventional frame pump does not fit the Swift frame. So it's not about weight... heck just hoist my courier bag and you'll see..
    I took two REI 12" velcro straps and attached my Peak Masterblaster to the backside of the seat tube. It won't drop through--the bottom bracket provides just enough lip to assure that when the straps are snug. It's out of the way and doesn't affect the fold.

  10. #1060
    Senior Member Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're bigger than 451. I'm running 451's on my Swift and I have plenty of clearance

  11. #1061
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flea
    I took two REI 12" velcro straps and attached my Peak Masterblaster to the backside of the seat tube. It won't drop through--the bottom bracket provides just enough lip to assure that when the straps are snug. It's out of the way and doesn't affect the fold.
    Nice. Velcro is the wonder tool of the century! You mean the seat post below the fold break, right?

    I have been commuting on my Swift. So far so good! But it's a bit disheartening when a crusty guy with holes in his pants passes me and pulls away on a Wal Mart mountain bike. I'm pedaling along pretty good in a high or highest gear too. Are the 20" wheel bikes just less capable of top speed? I expected it would be able to at least keep up with 26" wheel bikes.

    Maybe I need to pedal faster... or smoke more meth...

  12. #1062
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These Nitto B-105 drop bars are neato...


  13. #1063
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift
    These Nitto B-105 drop bars are neato...

    James make up your mind!

    I see you still have grips and the brake lever mounted up high.

    Hey tech question for ya-
    if a 103mm BB or a 107mm BB will both work to put my Swifts Surly hub fixie chainline within 1 mm L or R of perfect center alignment, then a 105mm will get it centered perfectly? Hmm... searching web... looks like the rub is finding a 105mm BB that is affordable. Ah so.

    Looks like I'll be shimming something.

    My rims and Surly hubs are ordered. I plan to replace my BB when I fit the new wheels. Any reason to replace the crankset at the same time? The stock Xootr crankset and chainring seem nice enough.

  14. #1064
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    James make up your mind!

    I see you still have grips and the brake lever mounted up high.

    Hey tech question for ya-
    if a 103mm BB or a 107mm BB will both work to put my Swifts Surly hub fixie chainline within 1 mm L or R of perfect center alignment, then a 105mm will get it centered perfectly? Hmm... searching web... looks like the rub is finding a 105mm BB that is affordable. Ah so.

    Looks like I'll be shimming something.

    My rims and Surly hubs are ordered. I plan to replace my BB when I fit the new wheels. Any reason to replace the crankset at the same time? The stock Xootr crankset and chainring seem nice enough.
    I can't help myself...it's so dang easy to trick-out the Swift with different handlebar configurations.

    The thing about BBs...you gotta beware of the assymetrical ones...you know, where a 107mm is actually a 105 with 2mm added to the non-drive side. For example, a 107mm assymetrical BB is the same length drive-side as a 105mm. So you're not losing spindle length on the side that counts. You get the idea. Search the web for specs on your particular BB of choice.

    Plan on ending-up with several BB's until you find the one that brings joy. The golden chainline, I've found, is sometimes a hit-or-miss process.

    So I assume you got the 130mm Surly NewRoad flip-flop hub with the 47.5mm chainline? Where did you order your wheelset from? I would work with the stock Tracer crankset for now, put some mileage in and get your money's worth out of it, then upgrade to a sweet Sugino set (which is what I plan to do).

    Here is an affordable BB in to use until you upgrade to a Sugino crank/BB.

  15. #1065
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift
    Search the web for specs on your particular BB of choice. Plan on ending-up with several BB's until you find the one that brings joy. The golden chainline, I've found, is sometimes a hit-or-miss process.... So I assume you got the 130mm Surly NewRoad flip-flop hub with the 47.5mm chainline?
    Well, you've confused me. I'm not looking at asymmetrical BB's, just the Sugino RD-48 and the Shimano 107mm UN series options. I know the width of my rear forks (132.5). Once my Surly shows up I'll know the hubs actual chain line measurement. Hopefully it's between 47-49mm, which I can get close to matching with a 103 BB or a 107 BB.... I think?

    Once I know the actual chain line - shouldnt I be able to get the BB correct on the first try?

    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift
    Where did you order your wheelset from?
    I don't know where the parts are coming from. My buddy who is a careful hobbyist wheel builder (and a fixed gear racer) is ordering the parts thru a friend's shop... I just asked for a Surly 130mm 32h flip-flop in polished finish, and a pair of Sun CR-18s also in polished. He'll build my wheels with stainless spokes. He has no 406 wheel experience but I totally trust him to get it right.
    Last edited by hulagun; 03-25-07 at 01:34 AM.

  16. #1066
    All ur bike r belong Enki james_swift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Fransicko
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    Well, you've confused me. I'm not looking at asymmetrical BB's, just the Sugino RD-48 and the Shimano 107mm UN series options.

    Once I know the actual chain line - shouldnt I be able to get the BB correct on the first try?
    I only put that info out there 'cuz I was lazy to do the research. Here's the actual dirt on the Shimano UN-series:

    103mm: symmetrical
    107mm: symmetrical
    110mm: asymmetrical, non-drive side 3mm longer

  17. #1067
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by james_swift
    I only put that info out there 'cuz I was lazy to do the research. Here's the actual dirt on the Shimano UN-series:
    103mm: symmetrical
    107mm: symmetrical
    110mm: asymmetrical, non-drive side 3mm longer
    ah I wondered what you were up to.

    hey I forget to mention that based on your advice (IIRC) I asked for a Dura Ace or other quieter 14T 3/32" cog instead of the Surly cog.

    Realizing I havent broken any new ground here but am standing in the footprints of others, my thanks to you and all who are being so helpful.

  18. #1068
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pumps and Locks

    I went and swapped my Crank Brothers Mini Pro pump for the Topeak Road Morph G. It was about $12 more but wow what a difference. I easily pumped the tires right up to 90 lbs. The gauge is a little vague and harder to read but everything else is GREAT. It even comes with a clamp that looks like it could be made to work on the Swift. If nothing else the clamp can be flipped around and used as removable mount (on any 22mm tubing, ie handlebars) for some oddball custom accessory (like an iPod... or a GPS...).

    I also picked up an OnGuard brand U-lock. The small version, so I could carry it in my hip pocket or tucked into my belt. It's size is a compromise. It is barely big enough to use on the aluminum Swifts. To lock it to parking meters it has to go thru the rear stays or around the vertical frame seat tube. It won't fit around the main spar and a parking meter post both at the same time. Back on the plus side, it came with 5 keys and is coated in thick rubber.

  19. #1069
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nashbar sells their cartridge square taper BB from time to time for ~$5-10. Not right now though.. They've had a recent lack of inexpensive parts in many categories.

  20. #1070
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    Nice. Velcro is the wonder tool of the century! You mean the seat post below the fold break, right?

    I have been commuting on my Swift. So far so good! But it's a bit disheartening when a crusty guy with holes in his pants passes me and pulls away on a Wal Mart mountain bike. I'm pedaling along pretty good in a high or highest gear too. Are the 20" wheel bikes just less capable of top speed? I expected it would be able to at least keep up with 26" wheel bikes.

    Maybe I need to pedal faster... or smoke more meth...
    You might be surprised that some of those old fat guys riding walmart bikes are fast for several reasons:
    1. Its their only transportation so they ride alot!
    2. They have big strong legs and are therefore fast!
    3. They might be what is known as a "sleeper" (a fast retired athelete) riding a cheap bike.
    4. They are just a naturally fast rider.
    5. You are not pedaling hard enough.
    6. You may have been tired.
    7. He only had been riding for a short time and was rested.

    In order to ride fast, you have to ride fast alot!

    Remember its not about the bike!

  21. #1071
    too many bikes
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    ... It is barely big enough to use on the aluminum Swifts. ...
    You can always fold, then lock. Makes a much less attractive target.

  22. #1072
    Senior Member hulagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    san francisco
    My Bikes
    '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charles vail
    You might be surprised that some of those old fat guys riding walmart bikes are fast for several reasons: SNIP
    I got a big kick out of your reply, CV!
    but gotta point out uh...that the dumpster diver who passed me was not that old or that fat. But neither am I...

    Some reasons why my Swift may not be as fast as I hoped:
    6) 100 psi tires only pumped up halfway to ease posterior pain
    5) carnitas super burrito from lunch compressing my diaphragm so can't fully utilize lungs
    4) knees chanting "40 is NOT the new 30" to help keep wrists awake
    3) inverse saddle time to couch time ratio
    2) courier bag holding 36 pounds of bike lock, allen wrenches, unread books and removed clothing
    1) huge grin on rider's face is highly non-aerodynamic

  23. #1073
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    Nice. Velcro is the wonder tool of the century! You mean the seat post below the fold break, right?
    And inexpensive.

    Yes, below the fold break. The total length of the pump is about a 1/4 inch less than the distance between the break quick release to the top of the bottom bracket. It's completely out of the way.

  24. #1074
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    south of the boarder

    Quote Originally Posted by hulagun
    I got a big kick out of your reply, CV!
    but gotta point out uh...that the dumpster diver who passed me was not that old or that fat. But neither am I...

    Some reasons why my Swift may not be as fast as I hoped:
    6) 100 psi tires only pumped up halfway to ease posterior pain
    5) carnitas super burrito from lunch compressing my diaphragm so can't fully utilize lungs
    4) knees chanting "40 is NOT the new 30" to help keep wrists awake
    3) inverse saddle time to couch time ratio
    2) courier bag holding 36 pounds of bike lock, allen wrenches, unread books and removed clothing
    1) huge grin on rider's face is highly non-aerodynamic
    Thats awsome, especially the burrito comment!

  25. #1075
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Porn capital of the world
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Le Tour and Specialized Rockhopper comp
    Posts
    183
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    yay! I get to join the family.

    As a birthday gift, my wife went ahead and ordered me a silver xootr swift (xxl) It should be here early next week. I'll be counting the days, that's for sure. I plan on riding it in stock form for a while, but upgrades/additions will come eventually. Besides a saddle swap, is there anything you all would recommend changing early on?

    As for proposed upgrades in the future, this is what I had in mind.
    Drop bars
    Sti brifter for the 105 or ultegra rr derailer
    New wheels built up w/ fewer spokes.
    Higher psi tires w/ light tubes.
    Maybe a new chainring.

    Well, my imagination is getting the best of me right now. I still have to get the bike first. I hope to see a big brown truck pull up in the next week. Until then, I will scan over this thread, again. And thank you all for giving such rave reviews on this bike. Without them I may not have ever considered the purchase.

Page 43 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •