Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-07, 10:19 AM   #1251
cosmodc
Fledgling
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NW DC
Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, Bike Friday Seasons Tikit
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_swift View Post
Hi cosmodc. Haven't seen you around here since you last posted pics of your Swift.

If you are planning on using the stem you already have, then you'll want to look for a riser bar that has a 25.4mm clamp diameter. Then you'll need to decide how high of a rise you want. Typically, you can get risers in .5", 1.0", 1.5", and 2.0" (or higher in some cases). You'll want to check the length of your brake/shifter cables to see if you have enough slack to compensate for the increase in bar height.
Hi James, thanks for the advice. While checking out potential riser bars, I've noticed that several of them are sold at varying lengths. I have a Nexus 8-speed twist grip shifter; do I need to be concerned about bar length, or can I just buy something on the longer side and have it cut down if needed? I am going to do the upgrade during one of my class sessions, so my LBS mechanic will be there to supervise this and the cable replacement, in case I screw anything up.

Edit 1: Nix my question about bar length -- you've already covered that. Thanks again!
Edit 2: Pricepoint.com is where I've been spending a lot of time looking. I'm a fan of options and all, but oy, what a selection!

The Swift is still treating me very well, and I'm glad I spent as much time as I did researching here before buying one from Peter.
cosmodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 10:41 AM   #1252
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki
 
james_swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Fransicko
Bikes:
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmodc View Post
Hi James, thanks for the advice. While checking out potential riser bars, I've noticed that several of them are sold at varying lengths. I have a Nexus 8-speed twist grip shifter; do I need to be concerned about bar length, or can I just buy something on the longer side and have it cut down if needed? I am going to do the upgrade during one of my class sessions, so my LBS mechanic will be there to supervise this and the cable replacement, in case I screw anything up.

Edit 1: Nix my question about bar length -- you've already covered that. Thanks again!
Edit 2: Pricepoint.com is where I've been spending a lot of time looking. I'm a fan of options and all, but oy, what a selection!

The Swift is still treating me very well, and I'm glad I spent as much time as I did researching here before buying one from Peter.
Just keep in mind that you won't be able to cut risers down as much as flat bars (because of the bend). What you can do is install the bar, then the brake levers (push them towards the stem until they meet resistance against the bend), then your gripshift. You can now lay the grip across the remaining length of exposed bar and measure (preferably twice), then cut. Cut the same length of remaining bar from the non-gripshift end. You might also want to take into account leeway for new grips. I know the stock SRAM grips are not standard MTB size, but not sure about your Nexus setup.
james_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 04:36 PM   #1253
flea
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maunakea View Post
flea, tighten your crank bolts.
Maunakea--thanks for the advice.

Tightening worked for about 100 miles and now the clunking has returned with a vengence. I've tightened it down more than before (40 foot lbs vs 30 foot lbs). Apparently there's a risk to overtightening if I believe some of the threads out there and I have no documentation with the bike to know what the torque should be. Any idea of the correct foot lbs for the crank bolt?

Thanks!
flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 05:36 PM   #1254
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,963
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
flea: Sounds like your one crank is toast. This will happen if a crank bolt was not tight enough and was ridden like that. The square hole wears out and no amount of tightening will get it right once it is worn. This is a new bike, right? Dealer must fix.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 05:48 PM   #1255
flea
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
flea: Sounds like your one crank is toast. This will happen if a crank bolt was not tight enough and was ridden like that. The square hole wears out and no amount of tightening will get it right once it is worn. This is a new bike, right? Dealer must fix.
Yeah, only 6 months old. A new Xootr Peter modified (dualdrive and new paint) for me. I'm surprised to have this happen after only 500 miles or so. I'm assuming regular serious hillclimbing exacerbated this but I'm still pretty shocked to hear that it would be in bad shape so soon. I guess I'll contact Peter and see what he says. Not what I wanted to hear as I really hate to stop riding at this point while I wait for it to be fixed
flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 10:20 PM   #1256
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,963
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
It's not a question of something wearing out under normal processes - it is something that was not assembled correctly and damage resulted riding it that way. No way you could know that there was something wrong. Not saying it necessarily is the crank-bottom bracket interface but symptoms do point that way.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 09:04 AM   #1257
flea
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
It's not a question of something wearing out under normal processes - it is something that was not assembled correctly and damage resulted riding it that way. No way you could know that there was something wrong. Not saying it necessarily is the crank-bottom bracket interface but symptoms do point that way.
Thanks, Jur. Yeah, I understand--looking through all the forums I agree the symptoms are most likely there. We'll see what Peter has to say. Now the long wait--this was my one functional bike!
flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 12:01 PM   #1258
hulagun
Senior Member
 
hulagun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: san francisco
Bikes: '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need chain tug and brake lever advice...

Hey, James et al-

I've been lurking awhile because not riding much. Long story - but in the last 6 weeks I've had knee surgery, an emergency room visit, and set two Bonneville land speed records (motorcycle). Phew!

But the best news is my fixed wheel set is 99% done. Surly large flange hubs. Sun CR168 rims. All silver. I just need to pick up a lock ring and new inner tubes, and fit my new Nitto handlebars and my Swift will be a Swixie!

Need some advice... I want to run a chain tug... what's a good one, and where can I get it without ordering it from the UK?

Also, I plan to run the stock Xootr front brake. Want to replace the Xootr lever with a more elegant-looking lever, preferably with a very narrow bar clamp like a Deore V-brake lever. I want it in silver, not all black. Any recommendations???

Lastly, I need a 100mm (10-degree or so) stem in silver alloy... I bought one on ebay but its temporary, I want to find a hollow welded version if anyone knows of a source. I have a beautiful 130mm one but its too long! So if anyone needs one like this lemme know...

Ivan
hulagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 12:44 PM   #1259
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki
 
james_swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Fransicko
Bikes:
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulagun View Post
Hey, James et al-

I've been lurking awhile because not riding much. Long story - but in the last 6 weeks I've had knee surgery, an emergency room visit, and set two Bonneville land speed records (motorcycle). Phew!

But the best news is my fixed wheel set is 99% done. Surly large flange hubs. Sun CR168 rims. All silver. I just need to pick up a lock ring and new inner tubes, and fit my new Nitto handlebars and my Swift will be a Swixie!

Need some advice... I want to run a chain tug... what's a good one, and where can I get it without ordering it from the UK?

Also, I plan to run the stock Xootr front brake. Want to replace the Xootr lever with a more elegant-looking lever, preferably with a very narrow bar clamp like a Deore V-brake lever. I want it in silver, not all black. Any recommendations???

Lastly, I need a 100mm (10-degree or so) stem in silver alloy... I bought one on ebay but its temporary, I want to find a hollow welded version if anyone knows of a source. I have a beautiful 130mm one but its too long! So if anyone needs one like this lemme know...

Ivan
In the Swift Gallery thread, I have a pic of my Surly chaintug. It's more expensive and heavier than the aluminum BMX chaintugs, but it looks cool and matches my Surly rear hub. If you want to go cheap, here is a BMX chaintug that works really well on the Swift (you can get it in silver).

What model Nitto bars do you have? The reason why I ask is because most V-brake levers won't fit even the 25.4 Nitto bars without grinding/prying the brake lever mount (I broke my Deore lever trying to do just that on my 25.4 Nitto B105 bars).

While on this subject, I'm getting a set of canti brakes to replace the V-brakes on my Swift so that I can use my bar-end TT brake levers (on my bullhorns) and cross-lever (on my drops) without having to use a travel agent and/or to deal with the lever-to-brake leverage mismatch. Pics to follow.

The Xootr Swift accessories page has a 100mm silver stem (25.4mm).
james_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 06:23 PM   #1260
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki
 
james_swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Fransicko
Bikes:
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pics of my new cantilever brakes installed: (Nashbar Deluxe canti brakes and cable hanger)










Ride report to follow.
james_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 07:04 PM   #1261
kb5ql
SWS: Small Wheel Syndrome
 
kb5ql's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Palo Alto
Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket/PedalForce RS2/Specialized Rock Hopper Xtracycle/Periscope Hammerhead
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_swift View Post
Pics of my new cantilever brakes installed: (Nashbar Deluxe canti brakes and cable hanger)

Ride report to follow.
when will the madness end James????
kb5ql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 10:06 PM   #1262
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki
 
james_swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Fransicko
Bikes:
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb5ql View Post
when will the madness end James????
The only things left stock on my Swift are the stempost/seatpost, seatpost QRs, and headset (that's next to go).

It's why I chose the Swift in the first place....so that I'm free to connect with the mad-scientist in me.

Oh yeah, I have a Tranz-x zero-drop bullhorn handlebar on order (for a more useable flat bar top instead of the sloping bar top of the Nashbar one I have on now).

Last edited by james_swift; 08-22-07 at 10:12 PM.
james_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 10:36 PM   #1263
mosquito
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whoa I was going to do the exact same thing the canti brakes. With the V brakes/diacompe setup i have now, the cable gets in the way at the front, intruding with a front rack I'm about to install. By the way, I read that V brakes have more stopping power than cantis, which is why I went with them in the first place. How does it compare with your former V's?

I also got a Delta Postporter quick release rack with a plastic basket zip tied to it. I can't believe I went so long without a basket! It's so convenient! No more bungee cords or sweaty back.

Also getting freddy fenders next. The apex fenders I have now do not get rid of enough road spray. I read xootr's tip on ziptie-ing them to the bike, but where would I zip tie them?
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 10:20 AM   #1264
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki
 
james_swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Fransicko
Bikes:
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
By the way, I read that V brakes have more stopping power than cantis, which is why I went with them in the first place. How does it compare with your former V's?
The first thing I noticed (and looked forward to) in comparison with my Avid SD-5 V-brakes was their silent operation: no squeal, no squeak. Yes! Even with their cheap cartridge pads, they stopped silently at all speeds. With the Kool Stop Salmon pads on my V-brakes, they squealed at low speeds and under hard braking. Annoying as hell. The cantis are smooth and silent.

As for braking power, they remind me a lot of my old Shimano 105 caliper brakes. In fact, the cantis work and feel just like road brakes. Although they don't have the sheer clamping power of Vs, the action and modulation of the cantis (like road brakes) is smooth and predictable. They work perfectly for "feathering", in situations where you need to make only slight adjustments to your speed such as cornering or riding in a group.

These Nashbar brakes (which look suspiciously a lot like re-branded Tektro Oryx brakes) have come a long way since the cantis on my '90 Specialized Rockhopper. They were really easy to set-up. They use standard threaded replaceable cartridge V-brake pads. The yoke has a clever alignment indicator and a guide housing for the brake cable.

I like the look of cantis on the Swift...kinda retro.
james_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 11:53 AM   #1265
Paul Braithwait
Senior Member
 
Paul Braithwait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.
Bikes: A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is what "Butterfly bars look like on a Swift. They are very comfortable and coupled to an adjustable stem give a huge variety of positions. No more stiff neck, sore back or numb hands!








Last edited by Paul Braithwait; 08-24-07 at 12:03 PM.
Paul Braithwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 01:33 PM   #1266
levity
robot ninja monkey yogi
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Manhattan
Bikes:
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_swift View Post
Oh yeah, I have a Tranz-x zero-drop bullhorn handlebar on order (for a more useable flat bar top instead of the sloping bar top of the Nashbar one I have on now).
i replaced my flat nitto bullhorns with sloping ones after the former got bent in a crash, and you know, i kind of like putting my hands on that bump where the slope begins.
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 02:25 PM   #1267
hulagun
Senior Member
 
hulagun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: san francisco
Bikes: '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now a dumb inner tube question....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_swift View Post
In the Swift Gallery thread, I have a pic of my Surly chaintug. It's more expensive and heavier than the aluminum BMX chaintugs, but it looks cool and matches my Surly rear hub.

What model Nitto bars do you have? The reason why I ask is because most V-brake levers won't fit even the 25.4 Nitto bars without grinding/prying the brake lever mount (I broke my Deore lever trying to do just that on my 25.4 Nitto B105 bars).
James et al-

Thanks for the chain tug info.

I'm unsure which Nitto bars exactly I have, they resemble Dove bars but are not as wide. I specifically wanted a narrow riser bar in alloy, and my friend had these lying around used for $20. I'm running them flopped. Might be these? http://store.somafab.com/nib3allro.html

The standard Xootr lever fits fine, but I just don't care for how it's big fat clamp creases my hand while riding.

I also found a beautiful 100mm welded alloy stem on ebay for $5.

Right now the big question is whether I should run Presta or Schrader tubes? My CR18 rims seem to be drilled for Schrader but the holes are a really tight fit. The holes seem too big for Schraders so am I missing something? Do I open the holes up a bit or is there a Presta adapter for the holes I need to get?

Any non-obvious pros or cons to one type of valve vs the other? I will be running Schwalbe Marathon (Racer?) 1.50 tires at the highest pressure that rides well.

Last edited by hulagun; 08-24-07 at 04:45 PM.
hulagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 02:33 PM   #1268
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget
 
Bacciagalupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used schrader for awhile, just switched to presta kinda by accident. I don't see any difference, there certainly isn't any performance or pressure difference.
Bacciagalupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-07, 07:24 AM   #1269
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki
 
james_swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Fransicko
Bikes:
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braithwait View Post
No more stiff neck, sore back or numb hands!
I think Paul is referring to my handlebar madness:







My new TranzX bullhorns (slightly modified by removing 2cm of length from the ends). This latest incarnation of my Swift is what I call the answer to all those who question the ability to sprint/climb out of the saddle on a folding bike.
james_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 04:49 PM   #1270
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki
 
james_swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Fransicko
Bikes:
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_swift View Post
As for braking power, they remind me a lot of my old Shimano 105 caliper brakes. In fact, the cantis work and feel just like road brakes. Although they don't have the sheer clamping power of Vs, the action and modulation of the cantis (like road brakes) is smooth and predictable. They work perfectly for "feathering", in situations where you need to make only slight adjustments to your speed such as cornering or riding in a group.
Edit: I installed my Kool Stop salmon pads on the cantis, but this time I swapped-out the washers on the brake pad studs so that the pads are pushed out a few millimeters further from the cantilever arms (increasing the cantilever angle). Massive difference in braking power! Just a minor adjustment has transformed these brakes from a road-bike caliper feel to an entirely different beast. Better than the V-brakes ever worked on this bike. Only a small amount of input at the lever is required to effectively bring the bike to a halt. Great for riding in tight traffic. Now I see why a lot of cyclocross bikes still come with cantilever brakes.








Last edited by james_swift; 08-26-07 at 06:26 PM.
james_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 07:05 PM   #1271
mosquito
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_swift View Post
Edit: I installed my Kool Stop salmon pads on the cantis, but this time I swapped-out the washers on the brake pad studs so that the pads are pushed out a few millimeters further from the cantilever arms (increasing the cantilever angle). Massive difference in braking power! Just a minor adjustment has transformed these brakes from a road-bike caliper feel to an entirely different beast. Better than the V-brakes ever worked on this bike. Only a small amount of input at the lever is required to effectively bring the bike to a halt. Great for riding in tight traffic. Now I see why a lot of cyclocross bikes still come with cantilever brakes.







That's awesome! Going to order canti's asap. One more question though: Do the cantis have more or less clearance for fenders compared to V brakes?
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 08:41 PM   #1272
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,963
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Yeah the geometry on canti's is enormously important. You can have a crappy performance or a super-power stopping power performance, depending on how close the bridge is to the wheel.

As the pads wear, the power will diminish. With the older type cantis with smooth stud you can adjust throughout their life. But I prefer the type you have - less hassle.

I like the black bar tape better.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 09:26 PM   #1273
mosquito
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
James, I just noticed that you have two brake levers, but only one brake. Are they both for the front brake? I thought about how cool it would be to have that, but I didn't think it was possible.
mosquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-07, 10:57 PM   #1274
james_swift
All ur bike r belong Enki
 
james_swift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Fransicko
Bikes:
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquito View Post
James, I just noticed that you have two brake levers, but only one brake. Are they both for the front brake? I thought about how cool it would be to have that, but I didn't think it was possible.
Yeah, I have 2 cross levers pulling one cable to the front brake. Trick-looking and works seamlessly. Just make sure you measure your brake cable twice (and cut once).

I get a bit more clearance with the cantis than the V-brakes (fenders would rub against the V-brake cable).
james_swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 07:30 PM   #1275
pismocycleguy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braithwait View Post
This is what "Butterfly bars look like on a Swift. They are very comfortable and coupled to an adjustable stem give a huge variety of positions. No more stiff neck, sore back or numb hands!







Paul;
What is the width of your butterfly bars? Are they wider, narrower, or the same width as the stock Swift bars? They look nice, can utilize the v-brake levers and sram shifting gear, and give you multiple hand positions.
Thanks
PCG
pismocycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:13 PM.