Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Cool Guy Training.Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    So here's my "extreme folderitis" story. Share yours too!

    Pics at the bottom in case you're pressed for time.

    For about 5 years, I have been making a 2 hour drive to work 1-2 times a week. Normally a 50 minute drive, the traffic would just get so bad that the commute would more than double on some days. One day, I just snapped and vowed to start taking the train instead. But I had a 20 minute walk from the train to work that I didn't like taking, so I started thinking about getting a bike. My girlfriend recommended folding bikes, since they were allowed on the train at all times, even during rush hour (regular bikes were not). That conversation took place last month on July 8.

    That same night, I put in my order for a Citizen Gotham1 after [very] limited research. I found bikeforums.net and began to heavily study the world of folding bikes. "Ew, Bromptons - so ugly, I'll never ride those," I remember saying. Two days later, I canceled my Citizen order and sent an order for a Dahon Speed Uno instead after seeing reviews on the forums. Another two days pass and I got an email from Thor, saying that the Speed Uno was not in stock and recommended the Tern Link Uno instead, saying that it was "a much nicer bike" (I still say that in front of my girlfriend today, imitating Thor's accent). I was pretty heartbroken at first about the Dahon, but a day later, I decided to go for the Tern. That was July 14.

    Then came the wait. By this time, it had been 6 days since I decided to get a folding bike and I wanted that Tern on my doorstep NOW. But alas, it was shipped July 18 and I was starting to lose sleep over it (totally not saying Thor ships slow, I'm just really impatient). My impatience led me to buy a 2011 Dahon Speed P8 in great condition off of Craigslist. FINALLY. After 12 LONG sleepless days, I had my first bike since middle school (I'm 34 now) and I got my fix. Or so I thought. I was still losing sleep over my Tern. I even ended the camping trip I took with my girlfriend a day early when I found out my bike was delivered while I was away. I got my Tern, and there I was on July 25 with $1250 worth of bikes in my kitchen feeling really complete. That didn't last long.

    Suddenly, I had a random yearning for a Brompton. I began to watch videos and customizing colors on nycewheels.com. It became an obsession. After I test drove one, it was over. I listed part of my beloved sneaker collection on Ebay just to come up with the money. But the Ebay listings were set to end in seven days... I was losing sleep once again. Finally, I did something truly pathetic and begged my mother to lend me the money. So on August 6, I went to a local shop and bought my Brompton. I'm satisfied now. I hope.

    Here's a pic of the family. My Dahon Speed P8 (Black Widow), my Tern Link Uno (Style), and my Brompton, which I named "Class." All acquired within a month. Couldn't be happier.

    bike2.jpgbike1.jpgbike3.jpg
    Last edited by Training.Wheels; 08-08-12 at 12:13 AM.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/member/J-Dogg

  2. #2
    7ft of Cet-Bak Nightdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Middle of the woods
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mind breaking into paragraphs to make for a bit easier reading?

  3. #3
    Cool Guy Training.Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    done!
    http://www.pedalroom.com/member/J-Dogg

  4. #4
    Senior Member iFold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Japan
    My Bikes
    2013 CAAD10 5
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats! hope you get well soon (folderitis)! lol
    2013 Cannondale CAAD10 * 2012 Tern Verge Duo * 2011 Trek Sawyer * 2011 GT Avalanche 3

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Training.Wheels View Post
    ..... Couldn't be happier. ......
    Give yourself a little time. You will either swap and upgrade or buy more. :-)

    And you need a Moulton. ;-)

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bangkok: it's hot
    My Bikes
    2013 Strida 5, 1998 GT Forte Ti, Custom 2010 Volume Thrasher 700c, Custom Dahon Dove 14" (6kg), 2012 WTP Zodiac
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny stuff, good hobbies tend to get out of hand. I have 2 Dahons but in your case I'd sell yours since the Tern is better.
    Yes, get something different like a Moulton, Pacific, or Strida.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My Bikes
    Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are great comparison pics.
    Besides the stark superiority of the Brompton fold the difference in folded size of Dahon and Tern is visible; you can see how with the Tern 180 rotation of the fork it's necessary to put the chainset closer to the main hinge exposing the chain somewhat at that end. . . not a big deal but not ideal either.
    The re-enforcement of the Tern steerer/stem interface is clear. . . and the inherent flexiness of the Brompton also apparent from the narrow diameter tubing, small main hinge and outdated stem/headset design which compared to the other bikes is stuck in the wrong decade.

    I can also see how awkward it must be carrying the Tern with the handlepost/stem on outside of the fold.
    Last edited by chagzuki; 08-08-12 at 03:41 AM.

  8. #8
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,294
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great collection! Be interesting to hear if any bike languishes after a while...
    My folding bike photo essays www.dekter.net/

  9. #9
    Junior Member commutenow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    norman oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Salsa single casseroll/Townie7d
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is amazing.

  10. #10
    7ft of Cet-Bak Nightdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Middle of the woods
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Training.Wheels View Post
    done!
    Thanks! Much better.

    So, have you done your commute with a folder yet? If so, which one(s), and how was it?

  11. #11
    Cool Guy Training.Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zzxxyy View Post
    Give yourself a little time. You will either swap and upgrade or buy more. :-)

    And you need a Moulton. ;-)
    Totally considered the Moulton, until I found out that their cheapest bike is like 2 grand. WOW, haha. Maybe someday though.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    Funny stuff, good hobbies tend to get out of hand. I have 2 Dahons but in your case I'd sell yours since the Tern is better.
    Yes, get something different like a Moulton, Pacific, or Strida.
    Actually, I'm quite happy with the Dahon. It's my choice for long distance rides and keeping up with my road bike friends. It's the most comfortable and versatile out of the three. If I get another 8+ gear bike, I may consider selling it. I doubt I would though, unless I need the money to buy that other bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
    Thanks! Much better.

    So, have you done your commute with a folder yet? If so, which one(s), and how was it?
    Yeah, I'm regularly riding the train now instead of making the long drive. To put it simply, the commute has been awesome. I have ridden the Dahon Speed P8 once and the Tern Link Uno three times so far during the commute. It's awesome to be able to sit down on the train while having a bike. It's become so fun that I have been hopping off the train early just to ride the rest of the way. Feeling the air on my face is much better than being cooped up in a car.

    Now for the negatives: nothing major, but it has been a little difficult to get the bike past the turnstiles; I still have to find an efficient way to do that without slowing everyone down. The Dahon and Tern are cumbersome to carry around - before I got the bikes, I imagined myself bringing them everywhere with me, like shopping in the city. They're just too big for that. And that is exactly why I got a Brompton. It's still kind of heavy, but with its compact and secure fold, I can carry it around with one hand without looking like I'm struggling. I have yet to test this theory.

    The exciting thing is that I have a use for each bike. I'll likely be using the Brompton on my commutes now, but the P8 will always be useful for long distance and the Link Uno will be for cruising around with my girlfriend (I let her ride the P8).
    Last edited by Training.Wheels; 08-09-12 at 03:52 AM.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/member/J-Dogg

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma, U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    On any given day, about 110, including ~20 folders
    Posts
    552
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Training.Wheels View Post
    ... The Dahon and Tern are cumbersome to carry around ...
    My personal experience is that a Speed P8 is much easier to schlep around if it has a rear rack.

    -HANK RYAN-
    Norman, Oklahoma USA
    DISCLOSURE: I have an ownership interest in an independent bike shop that is an authorized dealer for Raleigh, Dahon, Tern & Brompton.

  13. #13
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow within a month! That's a raging version of the Folderitis virus lol! Nice 3 symptoms though!

    It took me around 3 years to get to 3 bikes and yesterday it became 4. The Airnimal Chameleon is currently hidden in my shed in a bag until I find the right time to break the news lol!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,074
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen the Xootr swift? Moulton 2 speed? Have you thought of building a Raleigh 20 into a modern version?
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-swift-folders

    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...M-A2-Automatic

    http://raleightwenty.webs.com
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,074
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you give your girlfriend the P8 you will have an excuse to get another folder.
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,074
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a rigid Raleigh 20 and a folding 20 with 3 speed coaster brake. A Dahon Uno, Bike Friday 8 speed, Mercier Nano mini velo and a rigid Dawes Kingpin. If I were single I would have many more.
    Speed Uno
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  17. #17
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My folderitus;

    Universial (when child)
    Dawooe shuttle
    downtube ns8( ultergra groupset plus bull bars)
    ..Diblasi
    ....Gitex
    ..brompton(3 speed).
    ..merc.(3 speed)
    ...mission space genie (dualdrive plus upgrades)
    ...Mezzo(dualdrive plus bullbars lots of upgrades),
    Mezzo(dualdrive),
    Dahon D3 curve,
    Onza mini
    , Carry me,
    Brompton(5 speed)

    Think thats it!! But i might have had a R20 as a child having lived near the former nottingham bike factory.

    Still have the 2 mezzos, Onza mini( not for long), and the Brompton (5 speed)

    Would like to try......(the list is endless.)
    Last edited by bhkyte; 08-10-12 at 03:16 AM.
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

  18. #18
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
    My folderitus;

    Universial (when child)
    Dawooe shuttle
    downtube ns8( ultergra groupset plus bull bars)
    ..Diblasi
    ....Gitex
    ..brompton(3 speed).
    ..merc.(3 speed)
    ...mission space genie (dualdrive plus upgrades)
    ...Mezzo(dualdrive plus bullbars lots of upgrades),
    Mezzo(dualdrive),
    Dahon D3 curve,
    Onza mini
    , Carry me,
    Brompton(5 speed)

    Think thats it!! But i might have had a R20 as a child having lived near the former nottingham bike factory.

    Still have the 2 mezzos, Onza mini( not for long), and the Brompton (5 speed)

    Would like to try......(the list is endless.)
    This narrows down ground zero for the viral origin of Folderitis to

    1) bhkyte in York

    2) Sesamecrunch in SF

    Please forward to the Center for Disease Control (US) & Health Protection Agency (UK) as a matter of urgency. These 2 carriers must be quarantined with immediate effect!
    Last edited by mulleady; 09-15-12 at 04:29 AM.

  19. #19
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
    This narrows down ground zero for the viral origin of Folderitis to

    1) bhkyte in York

    2) Sesamecrunch in Florida

    Please forward to the Center for Disease Control (US) & Health Protection Agency (UK) as a matter of urgency. These 2 carriers must be quarantined with immediate effect!
    Great some time off work, can I claim insurance?
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

  20. #20
    7ft of Cet-Bak Nightdiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Middle of the woods
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Training.Wheels View Post
    Yeah, I'm regularly riding the train now instead of making the long drive. To put it simply, the commute has been awesome. I have ridden the Dahon Speed P8 once and the Tern Link Uno three times so far during the commute. It's awesome to be able to sit down on the train while having a bike. It's become so fun that I have been hopping off the train early just to ride the rest of the way. Feeling the air on my face is much better than being cooped up in a car.

    Now for the negatives: nothing major, but it has been a little difficult to get the bike past the turnstiles; I still have to find an efficient way to do that without slowing everyone down. The Dahon and Tern are cumbersome to carry around - before I got the bikes, I imagined myself bringing them everywhere with me, like shopping in the city. They're just too big for that. And that is exactly why I got a Brompton. It's still kind of heavy, but with its compact and secure fold, I can carry it around with one hand without looking like I'm struggling. I have yet to test this theory.

    The exciting thing is that I have a use for each bike. I'll likely be using the Brompton on my commutes now, but the P8 will always be useful for long distance and the Link Uno will be for cruising around with my girlfriend (I let her ride the P8).
    That's awesome. Good on ya for doing that sort of haul without a car. What metropolitan area are you in?

  21. #21
    Member ryukenden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    My Bikes
    Tern Link D8
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey TW,
    I have a similar story to yours but I can't bring myself into buying more bikes when you just ordered a bike. How would you justified the purchase of 3 bike when you only need one?

    Also brompton looks freakishly ugly, Could you compare the Tern/dahon visually to a brompton? Pictures don't do justice than first hand.
    I liked how compact brompton is compared to other folders.
    Last edited by ryukenden; 08-11-12 at 06:43 PM.
    Current: 2012 Tern Link D8 w/Brooks B17

  22. #22
    Cool Guy Training.Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Jamis Sputnik, Leader 722 Heritage Edition, Brompton, Bianchi Via Nirone, Robinson SST, Diamondback Sorrento
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
    That's awesome. Good on ya for doing that sort of haul without a car. What metropolitan area are you in?
    I'm from San Jose, California, and I work twice a week in San Francisco, which is 50 miles away.

    Quote Originally Posted by ryukenden View Post
    Hey TW,
    I have a similar story to yours but I can't bring myself into buying more bikes when you just ordered a bike. How would you justified the purchase of 3 bike when you only need one?

    Also brompton looks freakishly ugly, Could you compare the Tern/dahon visually to a brompton? Pictures don't do justice than first hand.
    I liked how compact brompton is compared to other folders.
    Well, at one point in my life, I had about 100 sneakers, most of them only worn a few times - I don't really know the meaning of the words "only need one," haha. As for my exact justifications, I bought the P8 so that my girlfriend could ride with me, and I bought the Brompton as more of a "sidekick" bike. I can't really bring the other two indoors into restaurants and such without looking like a fool. As for my Tern, I would like to keep that around because it just looks so damn nice. I bought a black B17 saddle for it and some black Deep Design pedals to replace all the parts that I thought looked cheap on the Uno. I'm a man of style; having just one of anything does not suit me.

    As for the what I think of the three bikes visually, I like the Tern and Brompton the best. I used to think that Bromptons were ugly because they weren't sporty looking, but I really do believe they're an acquired taste and the classic look has since grown on me - a lot. The Tern Link Uno is just super clean and sleek; I love the shape of the frame and the paintjob (the not quite matte black look). I like its sporty look; it contrasts the Brompton. As for the P8, I look at it more as a utility bike rather than a stylish one. I think all three look awesome though compared to full sized bikes, which I find boring.
    http://www.pedalroom.com/member/J-Dogg

  23. #23
    Senior Member Ozonation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Sam Hillborne DTT in Awesome Green; Brompton M6R (reduced gearing) in Sage Green; GT Timberline Hybrid (10 years old!)
    Posts
    964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Training.Wheels View Post
    I think all three look awesome though compared to full sized bikes, which I find boring.
    Besides my Brompton, I also have a Rivendell. If you want a classic looking, non-boring bike, check out Rivendell Bicycle Works.
    Rivendell Sam Hillborne and Hunqapillar; Brompton M6R Sage Green; Salsa Mukluk 3 FAT Bike; Nerdy Academic; Nikonian; Wing Chun; and a Patridge in a Pear Tree.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My Bikes
    Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the ugly aspects of the brompton are where form doesn't follow function, i.e. the lack of strategic strengthening/reinforcement in the correct areas. The construction is too crude. With a few crucial improvements it really would be a work of art.

  25. #25
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chagzuki View Post
    I think the ugly aspects of the brompton are where form doesn't follow function, i.e. the lack of strategic strengthening/reinforcement in the correct areas. The construction is too crude. With a few crucial improvements it really would be a work of art.
    I know you are very knowledgable on bikes but I must disagree with you. The improvements for me are things like the gear shifters, more internal hub options and some better handlebar options. I find the bike very sturdy and functional otherwise, it is still an engineering work of art that has stood the test of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •