Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Dahon bikes in Olympic closing (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/839739-dahon-bikes-olympic-closing.html)

tcs 08-16-12 05:51 AM

Dahon bikes in Olympic closing
 
1 Attachment(s)
Anyone else spot the eight white Dahon Mus used in the London Olympics closing ceremony?

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=267622

mulleady 08-16-12 05:58 AM

Yes and joked whats a London cab without a Brompton near it lol?

badmother 08-16-12 07:45 AM

Yes. Looked like a mad person for signs of Bromptons, and was really suprised to see 20" folders instead.

Azreal911 08-16-12 08:18 AM

I don't think they wanted to spend $1400cdn per bike for use as props! there's cheaper alternatives for those few minutes of use.

mulleady 08-16-12 08:20 AM

Brommies rule OK :P

ttakata73 08-16-12 10:05 AM

I'm glad they had Roll Royces parade the 3 younger singers into the stadium.
Hmmm....BMW owns Rolls Royce, and I saw some other Bimmers driving in the event.
Maybe the event planners got some free BMWs and Dahons, a conspiracy?

MadCityCyclist 08-16-12 07:57 PM

I didn't see the closing ceremonies, but considering that Brompton is an English bike and Dahon is an American company that has their bikes manufactured in China & Bulgaria, I bet it went over about as well as the American uniforms that were made in China.

BassNotBass 08-16-12 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulleady (Post 14612468)
Yes and joked whats a London cab without a Brompton near it lol?

+1

BassNotBass 08-16-12 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCityCyclist (Post 14616116)
... Dahon is an American company that has their bikes manufactured in China & Bulgaria, I bet it went over about as well as the American uniforms that were made in China.

Interesting point. If a bicycle company has it's headquarters and base of operations in the US and has everything manufactured and assembled in the US, it's rightly considered an American company... correct? If the CEO decides to move to Ireland and base the headquarters there yet the manufacturing and assembly operations are still in the US, is it now an Irish company?

Just interested to hear eveyones take on this.

mulleady 08-17-12 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassNotBass (Post 14616223)
Interesting point. If a bicycle company has it's headquarters and base of operations in the US and has everything manufactured and assembled in the US, it's rightly considered an American company... correct? If the CEO decides to move to Ireland and base the headquarters there yet the manufacturing and assembly operations are still in the US, is it now an Irish company?

Just interested to hear eveyones take on this.

Who moved to my lovely isle lol? Time we has an Irish folding bike manufacturer :D

tcs 08-17-12 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCityCyclist (Post 14616116)
I didn't see the closing ceremonies,

You didn't miss much.

Quote:

but considering that Brompton is an English bike and Dahon is an American company that has their bikes manufactured in China & Bulgaria, I bet it went over about as well as the American uniforms that were made in China.
Actually, I bet if anyone else noticed at all, they probably thought "Hey, cool, they included bicycles!" Probably only on this list was the discussion immediately taken over by all things BROMPTON.

tcs 08-17-12 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttakata73 (Post 14613470)
I'm glad they had Roll Royces parade the 3 younger singers into the stadium.
Hmmm....BMW owns Rolls Royce, and I saw some other Bimmers driving in the event.
Maybe the event planners got some free BMWs and Dahons, a conspiracy?

If you're a big conspiracy buff, perhaps. In the real world, more likely the organizers contacted Brompton in May for eight white bikes and were told "October".

Dynocoaster 08-17-12 08:07 AM

Spice Girls, I did notice them.

mulleady 08-17-12 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcs (Post 14617222)
If you're a big conspiracy buff, perhaps. In the real world, more likely the organizers contacted Brompton in May for eight white bikes and were told "October".

Lol nice one BOOM BOOM!

mulleady 08-17-12 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynocoaster (Post 14617605)
Spice Girls, I did notice them.


That's sad some of them are thinner than a toothbrush lol! I noticed some of the Rio girls much better ;-)

Azreal911 08-17-12 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcs (Post 14617215)
You didn't miss much.



Actually, I bet if anyone else noticed at all, they probably thought "Hey, cool, they included bicycles!" Probably only on this list was the discussion immediately taken over by all things BROMPTON.

Very true, most of the viewers would just see them a bicycles much less folding bikes! and the majority watching this wouldn't have a clue of one brand from the other.

mulleady 08-17-12 12:45 PM

Quote:

Actually, I bet if anyone else noticed at all, they probably thought "Hey, cool, they included bicycles!" Probably only on this list was the discussion immediately taken over by all things BROMPTON.

Wrong haha! I first said hey some folding bikes and then the British theme followed. The Brommie is much discussed ouch! :p

fietsbob 08-17-12 12:51 PM

The newspaper covered thing reminded me from a scene in the Dystopian movie,
Brazil. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/

over Robert De Nero, as Harry Tuttle, subverting the system, and so its enemy. http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0004606/

BassNotBass 08-17-12 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulleady (Post 14618031)
... That's sad some of them are thinner than a toothbrush lol!...

How fortunate, I'm a stickler for oral hygiene... a spice of life.

Foldable Two 08-17-12 06:40 PM

I noticed the bikes - thought they were Dahons - but as was noted earlier, most folks were doing good if they noticed there were 'cute little bikes' in that production, there was so much going on.

Lou

jefmcg 08-18-12 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttakata73 (Post 14613470)
I'm glad they had Roll Royces parade the 3 younger singers into the stadium.
Hmmm....BMW owns Rolls Royce, and I saw some other Bimmers driving in the event.
Maybe the event planners got some free BMWs and Dahons, a conspiracy?

Not sure about conspiracy, but BMW was a sponsor, and they got a lot of free beemers, at least for the duration.

It would have been nice to see some bikes - even Dahons - using the Olympic "Zil" lanes, but this didn't happen (except when commuters risked the fine to use them)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:57 PM.