Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Delaware/Maryland
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Brompton kickstand?

    Anybody put a kickstand on their Brompton? Lots of times when stopping quick to take a picture or to go in my bag...I don't want to fold and then unfold. So, I want a kickstand. But, I want something nice looking.

    I came across this Brompton on the foldingforums site. It has a kickstand made for an 18" Birdy with disc brakes.
    The company is called Color+. I think this stand looks perfect on the Brompton, especially the way it angles toward the wheel when folded. The issue with this stand is how to get it in the US. I've asked this guy and haven't come up with any leads on dealers.





















    More info on the stand...
    http://translate.google.com/translat...3Da%26fid%3D19
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi as much as that stand looks very nice and incredibly neat, I would always use the park position for my Brompton when I needed to stop, even for a moment.

    This is a big plus of the Brompton design compared with many bikes that require you to add a stand.

    Regards

    Jerry

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Delaware/Maryland
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimon View Post
    Hi as much as that stand looks very nice and incredibly neat, I would always use the park position for my Brompton when I needed to stop, even for a moment.

    This is a big plus of the Brompton design compared with many bikes that require you to add a stand.

    Regards

    Jerry
    I understand that about the brompton. I also just received my rear rack today. I plan on using it for the purpose of rolling it around, but also for a bag or other items. So, what do you do when the rack is being used? This is my reasoning for a kickstands. Also I think the less you fold the rear section, the longer you'll have before the frame pivot needs service.

    I do appreciate your opinion and what you do, but everyone is different.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    My Bikes
    Tern Verge Duo(PINK!)
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait what, you mean to tell me that the Brompton doesn't come with a kickstand?!
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...lo-from-Taipei!
    你好!
    Currently riding a Tern Verge Duo(PINK!)

  5. #5
    Senior Member bargainguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    574
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=13328

    Found this cheap axle-mount kickstand at niagara cycle in NY state. Whether it would work in your application for the brommie, no clue.

    Don

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Delaware/Maryland
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bargainguy View Post
    http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ducts_id=13328

    Found this cheap axle-mount kickstand at niagara cycle in NY state. Whether it would work in your application for the brommie, no clue.

    Don
    Yea. I've come across a few generic stands that would work, but none are pretty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #7
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimon View Post
    This is a big plus of the Brompton design compared with many bikes that require you to add a stand.
    But it requires you to add a rack which is even more cumbersome. My S rack-less B is not very stable when parked.
    Happier than a camel on wednesday.

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,134
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offering an actual html link for other readers would be most useful..
    [& pictures that can enlarge]
    seems many readers are willing to buy retail on-line from foreign sources, and have it shipped

    [It was a book from UK Amazon for me.. to the US. ]


    My sense of this ...
    Suppose the thing is, if you piled a lot of stuff on the rear rack ,
    keeping it from folding, normally
    Experience has demonstrated,
    the weight would topple the bike over anyhow, so You would be leaning it
    against something on the left side anyhow..

    And without the stuff on the rack,. you don't need the KS.
    just touch the release lever ( if not turned so every time it folds.). and fold the rear under ..
    but, I suspect, It is useful for the D'hon &Tern and all the other 'fold in half' bikes..




    I have a trailer tow connection on that end of the axle, myself..

    and I gain stability when I park the bike , by locking it onto something.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 09-28-12 at 03:11 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see the issue if you have a rack with stuff on it. I personally have no rack on either of my Bromptons much preferring to use the excellent front luggage arrangement.

    Changing out the stock jockey wheels on the back to the better bearing ones, I find its reasonably stable in the folded park position.

    Regards

    Jerry

  10. #10
    Bikewritercat
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    central Illinois
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday tikit, Co-Motion tandem (custom), Trek 2300, world's heaviest Fisher mountain bike, Bianchi Pista, Paisley tricycle
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe instead of folding your Brompton, you should fold your kickstand. I've seen this product used to hold up tandems:

    http://www.click-stand.com/
    16incheswestofpeoria.wordpress.com

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Big City
    My Bikes
    Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kamtsa View Post
    But it requires you to add a rack which is even more cumbersome. My S rack-less B is not very stable when parked.
    Huh? I don't have a rack, and I don't have any trouble with stability parking the bike. Rolling it folded is a different story, but I have no trouble standing it on the folded rear wheel, and I find flipping the wheel only slightly more effort than kicking a kickstand. I usually don't engage the clip to save the trouble of having to pull the release lever. And flipping the wheel tends to impress people.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    119
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Late to reading this topic. I have links in my bookmark collection for some different kickstands. Plush Bicycles carries the Color Plus kickstand in addition to some other varieties. I don't know if they will ship to the USA, though. Multi-S makes a kickstand that I think (in silver) would probably fit the look of the Brompton even better. Cyclopedia carries it. I know that they sell to the USA because they have an eBay store. They don't have the kickstand listed, but you may be able to get them to list one for you, or sell direct. As an aside, I've never found a website for Colorplus although they make quite a few parts. They do have a Flickr page if you want to check out what they make and see closer photos of the kickstand.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Delaware/Maryland
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmkk3 View Post
    Late to reading this topic. I have links in my bookmark collection for some different kickstands. Plush Bicycles carries the Color Plus kickstand in addition to some other varieties. I don't know if they will ship to the USA, though. Multi-S makes a kickstand that I think (in silver) would probably fit the look of the Brompton even better. Cyclopedia carries it. I know that they sell to the USA because they have an eBay store. They don't have the kickstand listed, but you may be able to get them to list one for you, or sell direct. As an aside, I've never found a website for Colorplus although they make quite a few parts. They do have a Flickr page if you want to check out what they make and see closer photos of the kickstand.
    I've actually been emailing back and forth with Cyclopedia about their Multi-S Buddy stand. After a couple emails I mentioned that I really wanted the Color+ stand and provided a picture of it. Well, this morning I got a reply with pictures, that they have a stand that looks identical to the Color+. The only difference was that only silver is available. Also the guy tells me its cheaper then their Multi-S stand and the Color+. It also weighs less then Color+.

    I of course sent them money as quick as I could. It was $60usd total shipped from Singapore. It retails for $60 Singapore dollars without shipping and the Color+ was like $125 Singapore dollars from what I had found.

    It's probably gonna take a few weeks to receive, but will post up pictures when I do.

    Thanks everyone
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •