Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Buying my first folding bike (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/853810-buying-my-first-folding-bike.html)

claudiaxcu 10-22-12 11:30 AM

Buying my first folding bike
 
Hi guys! i'm thinking of buying a folding bike and i was wondering if you could help me decide which one is the best for less than 400usd
i want something simple.. just for riding in the city..
my options are:
any citizen bike.. (i like the gotham 2)
downtube nova
dahon: speed uno or eco c7

it would be nice if the bike could roll when folded...
so.. what do you think?

Dynocoaster 10-22-12 11:53 AM

I like the Speed Uno it is simple and easily upgradable. There are a number of internally geared hubs that will work.

smallwheeler 10-22-12 01:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by claudiaxcu (Post 14867701)
Hi guys! i'm thinking of buying a folding bike and i was wondering if you could help me decide which one is the best for less than 400usd
i want something simple.. just for riding in the city..
my options are:
any citizen bike.. (i like the gotham 2)
downtube nova
dahon: speed uno or eco c7

it would be nice if the bike could roll when folded...
so.. what do you think?

did you consider the Origami Fox? 3 speed internal gear hub and nice fold. 16" (305) wheels. the whole package looks great for multimodal commuting.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=279955http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=279956

NeoteriX 10-22-12 01:13 PM

If you are cash strapped -- looking at craigslist might be a pretty good option. At any given time in the NYC craiglist listings there are dozens of Dahons (some old and some recent models) listed.

badmother 10-22-12 03:32 PM

It would help to know your weight and how tall you are..

FoldingLawrence 10-22-12 03:40 PM

Another vote for the Speed Uno. I'm a fan :).

smallwheeler 10-22-12 03:51 PM

forgot to add - in my opinion, citizen bikes are complete ****e..

edwong3 10-22-12 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallwheeler (Post 14868809)
forgot to add - in my opinion, citizen bikes are complete ****e..

Please be polite. We have a number of Citizenbike owners on this forum...many who have expressed they feel their bikes are well worth the money spent.

Thanks
Ed

Bill Fold 10-22-12 06:44 PM

You may also want to take a look at an Origami.

claudiaxcu 10-22-12 08:17 PM

Thnx everyone for your help... i'm not in USA and i don't know craiglist so i don't consider it an option..
those origami look nice... i'll consider those too
i'm 5.2 and 135lb

Dynocoaster 10-22-12 08:19 PM

Hi, Where are you located? Some of these bikes may not be available in your country.

smallwheeler 10-22-12 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwong3 (Post 14869328)
Please be polite. We have a number of Citizenbike owners on this forum...many who have expressed they feel their bikes are well worth the money spent.

Thanks
Ed


well, i was also a citizen bike owner. so, i come by my opinion honestly.

edwong3 10-22-12 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallwheeler (Post 14869812)
well, i was also a citizen bike owner. so, i come by my opinion honestly.

OK, fair enough. Which model did you own, and from what year was it?
Ed

claudiaxcu 10-22-12 09:03 PM

i live in colombia but i plan to buy it over the internet..
and pick it up next month since i'm traveling to houston

smallwheeler 10-22-12 09:19 PM

perhaps you can make an arrangement with someone in houston?

dahon boardwalk:
http://houston.craigslist.org/bik/3356696297.html
montague:
http://houston.craigslist.org/bik/3333792241.html
http://houston.craigslist.org/bik/3341611394.html

JosephLMonti 10-23-12 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claudiaxcu (Post 14869881)
i live in colombia but i plan to buy it over the internet..
and pick it up next month since i'm traveling to houston

You might consider a Greenzone Bike: http://www.greenzonebikes.com/contactus.html

They are located in Houston and might allow you to come test ride the bike before purchasing. :D

cplager 10-23-12 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JosephLMonti (Post 14870690)
You might consider a Greenzone Bike: http://www.greenzonebikes.com/contactus.html

They are located in Houston and might allow you to come test ride the bike before purchasing. :D

For what it's worth, I have a Greenzone alloy folder that I bought a couple years ago for $200. The frame itself has held up well, but the folding stem, wheels, brakes, and shifting haven't (I probably have about 400 miles or so on it).

Based on my experiences, I would not recommend these.

Cheers,
Charles

p.s. If somebody wants a really cheap used Greenzone, let me know. :)

browngw 10-23-12 01:51 PM

The Giant Expressway is a solid buy in this price range. The one pictured here is my wifes bike.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...9&d=1344877424

tds101 10-23-12 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallwheeler (Post 14869925)

If I could find either of these Montague bikes here in NYC in this great a condition at these prices I'd JUMP ON IT IMMEDIATELY!!! Holy crap, what great deals. Even the Dahon is priced to move.

Wow,...I actually fel so,...cheated. :(

smallwheeler 10-23-12 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 14872891)
If I could find either of these Montague bikes here in NYC in this great a condition at these prices I'd JUMP ON IT IMMEDIATELY!!! Holy crap, what great deals. Even the Dahon is priced to move.

Wow,...I actually fel so,...cheated. :(


yes!

smallwheeler 10-23-12 05:32 PM

i wonder if claudia is still checking this thread...

edwong3 10-23-12 07:03 PM

The models sold by Greenzone two years ago were equipped with cheap, low cost components. The current models are a completely different story so it is a legitimate possibility for anyone seeking to purchase their first folder.

Ed

claudiaxcu 10-23-12 09:50 PM

Yes, i'm still checking.. thanx everyone for your answers..
i think i'm gonna buy a origami fox :P

smallwheeler 10-23-12 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claudiaxcu (Post 14873904)
Yes, i'm still checking.. thanx everyone for your answers..
i think i'm gonna buy a origami fox :P

hehe cool ;)

Dynocoaster 10-24-12 08:22 AM

The Fox is a great deal for the money.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.