Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-12, 02:05 PM   #1
Mendes
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antwerp
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dahon MU SL

I would like to buy a Dahon MU SL, but I have heard that it is not being sold anymore, so I would like to buy it in Second Hand.

Does someone know where I can buy it? I live in Belgium..

Thanks in advance.
Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 08:22 AM   #2
Mendes
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antwerp
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, can anyone help me or not?

I just need a tip..
Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 08:53 AM   #3
Dynocoaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Too many....................
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check Ebay and your local second hand websites. Craigslist, Gumtree, etc.....
Dynocoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 10:38 AM   #4
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Also there is a Dahon forum where you can "meet" Dahon owners. Maybe that is a place for finding one? Also: If it is no longer sold, is there a different bike with almost same spesifications that you could buy?
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 11:00 AM   #5
Mendes
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antwerp
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster View Post
Check Ebay and your local second hand websites. Craigslist, Gumtree, etc.....
I already did, thanks Maybe I will give it a try..
Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 11:01 AM   #6
Mendes
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antwerp
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
Also there is a Dahon forum where you can "meet" Dahon owners. Maybe that is a place for finding one? Also: If it is no longer sold, is there a different bike with almost same spesifications that you could buy?
The Dahon Forum is not accepting more registrations.. I tried it today..

I would like a light folding bike.. Maybe I will try one Dahon MU Uno or Dahon Speed Uno..
Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 01:28 PM   #7
samcoppell
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I have Dahon helios S L band new with box never on the road .Let me know if you interested.thanks for your time in advanced.
samcoppell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-12, 03:37 PM   #8
Mendes
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antwerp
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcoppell View Post
Hi I have Dahon helios S L band new with box never on the road .Let me know if you interested.thanks for your time in advanced.
Can you send me some pictures to joaormendes@hotmail.com?

Send also the price that you are asking, please..
Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 10:35 AM   #9
pibach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You can also buy those models from China, e.g. here: litepro.taobao.com
They don't have Mu Sl in particular, but some Dahon folders with their own LitePro components (which are similar to the SL's).
pibach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 01:58 PM   #10
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You undertsand Peter that some of the chinese market folders from Dahon are substantially different than their "counterparts" for the rest of the world... sometimes they use completely different frames, which look similar but are smaller, or different material, ahich might or might not be suitable for heavier/taller riders ....

just sayin
thor
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-12, 06:37 PM   #11
pibach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
You undertsand Peter that some of the chinese market folders from Dahon are substantially different than their "counterparts" for the rest of the world...
Did not buy one there, but according to their high res pictures they are high quality, as other Dahon bikes.
pibach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 02:18 AM   #12
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pibach View Post
Did not buy one there, but according to their high res pictures they are high quality, as other Dahon bikes.
Not much help if the bike is smaller than you need and can not carry your weight!
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 04:44 AM   #13
pibach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
Not much help if the bike is smaller than you need and can not carry your weight!
Why should they?
Because chinese are smaller and less "overweight"?

BTW, Dahon production is in Macau, China (near Hong Kong), and, most recently, Bulgaria.
pibach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 05:10 AM   #14
keke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Bikes:
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think everyone's trying to say that they make bikes to different specifications for different markets.
keke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 08:27 AM   #15
tcs
Palmer
 
tcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Parts unknown
Bikes:
Posts: 4,705
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendes View Post
The Dahon Forum is not accepting more registrations..
Try Facebook.
tcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 09:33 AM   #16
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keke View Post
I think everyone's trying to say that they make bikes to different specifications for different markets.
Exactely, so for an "avreage European or North American" buying bikes produced for the far east can be risky. Thats all.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-12, 10:03 AM   #17
pibach
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes: Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keke View Post
I think everyone's trying to say that they make bikes to different specifications for different markets.
Yes. Dahon China basically offers more models icluding the Dove or even the Curl. Some specs, components (e.g., SDG saddle and post instead of Kore), and colors differ slightly. But at the end these are the same frames from the same production! However those China domestic models are not warrantied outside China.
You can check out the Dahon China portfolio here: http://www.dahon.com.cn/prouct.asp

Mu SL is named "PAA095".
pibach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-12, 09:54 AM   #18
seadragonpisces
Member
 
seadragonpisces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hertfordshire, UK.
Bikes: Autum Minion, Brompton S6L Barcelona, Dahon Jetstream EX
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are still looking then you occasionally see the Mu SL on Ebay UK.

If you want something a bit more special then I was in touch with someone about 3 months ago who had a Mu EX for sale. It was 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand of course but it was owned by someone who is a relatively well-known cyclist who won the Smithfield Nocturne in 2010 on this bike. I believe it is mostly standard except for the seat post and saddle from a Tern I think. The seller is a share holder in Dahon or Tern, I cant remember and I think now sells Tern bikes In the UK.

If you want to know more about the bike let me know and I can find out for you.
seadragonpisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 08:12 AM   #19
Mendes
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antwerp
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadragonpisces View Post
If you are still looking then you occasionally see the Mu SL on Ebay UK.

If you want something a bit more special then I was in touch with someone about 3 months ago who had a Mu EX for sale. It was 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] hand of course but it was owned by someone who is a relatively well-known cyclist who won the Smithfield Nocturne in 2010 on this bike. I believe it is mostly standard except for the seat post and saddle from a Tern I think. The seller is a share holder in Dahon or Tern, I cant remember and I think now sells Tern bikes In the UK.

If you want to know more about the bike let me know and I can find out for you.

Guys,

I almost decided my mind on this.. I have to decide between Dahon MU Uno and Tern Link Uno..

I want the bike to ride it here in the City (Antwerp) and to go to work (+/- 15 Km from home).. I want a simple bike, a bike that doesn't give me much work and costs to maintain..

I was also watching the Tern Verge Duo.. This bike has no cables like the other two? I would like a bike with no cables..

The rear brake in the Dahon MU Uno is easy to acostumate and to use?


Thanks in advance
Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 08:50 AM   #20
Dynocoaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Too many....................
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a Speed Uno and the coaster brake is easy to use. If you need more gears a internally geared hub with coaster brake can always be added later. Bruce Metras fitted a 2 speed hub to his Mu Uno:http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=bruce+mu
Dynocoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 12:35 PM   #21
Mendes
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antwerp
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster View Post
I have a Speed Uno and the coaster brake is easy to use. If you need more gears a internally geared hub with coaster brake can always be added later. Bruce Metras fitted a 2 speed hub to his Mu Uno:http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=bruce+mu
Dyno, thank you very much
Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 12:55 PM   #22
Mendes
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antwerp
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster View Post
I have a Speed Uno and the coaster brake is easy to use. If you need more gears a internally geared hub with coaster brake can always be added later. Bruce Metras fitted a 2 speed hub to his Mu Uno:http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...light=bruce+mu
What bike would you choose between the Dahon MU Uno and the Tern Link Uno?
Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-12, 07:12 PM   #23
Dynocoaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Pacific Northwest
Bikes: Too many....................
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Tern Verge Duo if money wasnt a problem. Otherwise the Tern Link Uno, I like the latches better on the Tern but the looks of the Mu are very nice.
Dynocoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 04:15 AM   #24
FoldingLawrence
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London
Bikes: Tern Link P9
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendes View Post
What bike would you choose between the Dahon MU Uno and the Tern Link Uno?
I personally prefer the Dahon.
FoldingLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-12, 09:55 AM   #25
Mendes
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Antwerp
Bikes:
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynocoaster View Post
The Tern Verge Duo if money wasnt a problem. Otherwise the Tern Link Uno, I like the latches better on the Tern but the looks of the Mu are very nice.

Yes, I like the color of the Dahon, that matte black I will not use the bike that often, so I might go for the Dahon too..

Here in Belgium I think the values are more or less like this (and correct me please if I am wrong):



Tern Verge Duo - Around 850/900 Euro

Tern Link Uno - Around 600 Euro

Dahon MU Uno - Around 500/600 Euro



Who are Tern and Dahon authorized and recommended dealers here in Belgium? Does anyone knows this?

Thank you in advance.



Joao
Mendes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:45 PM.