Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Dahon Helios XX Anniversary, Dahon Curve Thor-modified SRAM Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Heron Road, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn Paramount PDG 70, RANS Wave, Trident Spike
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dahon Jifo reviews

    I've done some searching on this forum and the internets in general, but not much in the way of actual riding experience to be found. The Jifo is promoted as a compact, easy fold for "that last mile", which seems to imply that it isn't "enough bike" for a relatively flat 10-20 mile ride. Can anyone refute this? Thor? I would think a 20-pound singlespeed would be fun on a ride like that.

  2. #2
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are few Jifos out there, the relative high price is inducing sticker shock, The Jifo has a couple bits and pieces which are indeed only for the jifo, in my opinion not a good thing cause modding is restricted, lol ... But than why change anything on a good thing ?

    I was very skeptical when the bike arrived.... still skeptical after my first ride, however surprised how good it actually rode, I had several folks try out my pukegreen one and everybody ( including Bike dealers ) came back with a big smile.

    It folds in seconds.... and its small ... smaller than ..yeah ... smaller !!! Much smaller than a Dahon Curve
    http://www.thorusa.com/dahon/technical/brommy.htm
    again this is a Curve which is considerable bigger.....

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130855881931...84.m1555.l2649

    I have one on Ebay ... actually ... I was thinking keeping it for myself, but too many bikes already, and planning on something cool with lots of carbon bits, cool wheels and such .... even I have to pay for stuff like that, so the Jifo needs to go in order for me to start next fun project ....

    Best Thor

    P.s. the last mile is definitely not what this bike is all about....it runs MUCH better.... however 20 plus miles every day .... maybe not either.... somewhere in the middle will be the sweetspot

  3. #3
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of which, how does the Curve compare to the Brompton in terms of rideability?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Dahon Helios XX Anniversary, Dahon Curve Thor-modified SRAM Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Heron Road, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn Paramount PDG 70, RANS Wave, Trident Spike
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Thor. Yes, my thoughts are for the occasional longer ride, with shorter 5-milers thrown in the mix. I have lots of other bikes..this would be for tossing in the car and unloading at the state park or waterfront when I don't feel like riding from the top of my very steep hill. I don't commute.

    I hear ya about the price, I'm balking at it, too. But maybe...

  5. #5
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,580
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    They are few Jifos out there, the relative high price is inducing sticker shock, The Jifo has a couple bits and pieces which are indeed only for the jifo, in my opinion not a good thing cause modding is restricted, lol ... But than why change anything on a good thing ?

    I was very skeptical when the bike arrived.... still skeptical after my first ride, however surprised how good it actually rode, I had several folks try out my pukegreen one and everybody ( including Bike dealers ) came back with a big smile.

    It folds in seconds.... and its small ... smaller than ..yeah ... smaller !!! Much smaller than a Dahon Curve
    http://www.thorusa.com/dahon/technical/brommy.htm
    again this is a Curve which is considerable bigger.....

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/130855881931...84.m1555.l2649

    I have one on Ebay ... actually ... I was thinking keeping it for myself, but too many bikes already, and planning on something cool with lots of carbon bits, cool wheels and such .... even I have to pay for stuff like that, so the Jifo needs to go in order for me to start next fun project ....

    Best Thor

    P.s. the last mile is definitely not what this bike is all about....it runs MUCH better.... however 20 plus miles every day .... maybe not either.... somewhere in the middle will be the sweetspot
    thor,

    sidebar- i have been curious about how the jifo bike came to be. obviously, the jifo is essentially the bipod mint http://www.smartcog.co.jp/Products/mint.htm with a few changes. do you have any idea about the backstory on how this came to be? it just seems odd that there is no information about this anywhere.

    bipodmint.jpg22be9356.jpg

    the bipod mint comes in a 3 speed version as well.
    Last edited by smallwheeler; 02-22-13 at 10:16 AM.

  6. #6
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont... I am guessing a cooperation between the two... but no background info
    thor

  7. #7
    tcs
    tcs is offline
    Palmer tcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Parts unknown
    Posts
    4,142
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
    ...which seems to imply that it isn't "enough bike" for a relatively flat 10-20 mile ride...I would think a 20-pound singlespeed would be fun on a ride like that.
    Cyclists were accomplishing double century (200 mile) rides on high wheelers in the 1880s. That said, the Jifo puts the rider in a fairly upright position, it has a very short wheelbase, relatively high rolling resistance tires and a single 65" gear.
    "When man first set woman on two wheels with a pair of pedals, did he know, I wonder, that he had rent the veil of the harem in twain? A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Typewriter Girl, 1899.

    "Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place it's drawn to. I don't suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway." Ian Hibell, 1934-2008

  8. #8
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,646
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor: just for S&G's,what's the rear spacing on the Jifo? Will it take a 3spd hub?

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very narrow in the rear and not upgradeable.
    Dahon Jifo
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    My Bikes
    Too many....................
    Posts
    3,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dahon Jifo
    Dawes Kingpin 2speed

  11. #11
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interestig bike.
    But I can't see why dahon do not seem to be able to make a 16" with long term intentions.
    The curve and the presto were good but flawed bikes, just like 16" rivals.
    Jifo looks good as a simple to fold folder, at the wrong price like the dibllasi r22
    Nice concept, but get serious Dahon.
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8.

  12. #12
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    what the heck is ( was ) flawed with the Curve 16 ..... Especially the SL models were to die for ......
    Even the currently available 3 speed is a great bike. Its very red .... which is a color problem not a bike problem

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Dahon Helios XX Anniversary, Dahon Curve Thor-modified SRAM Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Heron Road, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn Paramount PDG 70, RANS Wave, Trident Spike
    Posts
    71
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've pretty much given up on the idea. It's just too much money for what you get.

  14. #14
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,580
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dahon likes to reinvent the wheel every two years. its interesting that they are having to go back into the old catalogue now that Tern has walked away with the past 4 years worth of designs and tech. the new single speed presto, for example. but, 1000usd?

    whats wrong with the curve?

    short wheel base and its red.

    the curve Sl was very nice. charcoal gray colored frame, nice components, longer wheelbase. but, also a thousand dollars. and why not try 349 wheels?

    i know most people like brightly colored bicycles as evidenced by the number of them you see, but personally, i would not buy a red, blue, green, fuchsia, tan, olive, yellow, orange, or any other colored bike. black. just make it black!

    also, it seems that the small wheel niche is slowly being filled by boutique design and manufacturing concerns. like the OX Peco, for example. love that.

    ox1.jpg
    Last edited by smallwheeler; 02-27-13 at 10:19 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,189
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    what the heck is ( was ) flawed with the Curve 16 ..... Especially the SL models were to die for ......
    Even the currently available 3 speed is a great bike. Its very red .... which is a color problem not a bike problem
    I mean they are not perfect in many ways. No compact folder is. They could be could have been improved and refined . I have owned a curve d3.
    I said they are/were good bikes.
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just back from a weekend in Ghent, Belgium, a truly fine city. On day two i found a cycle shop called Plum, in a side window they had a row of folders, Diblasi, Strida, Tern, Mobyky, and in the middle was a lurid green Jiffo, priced at 659 euros. i took some photos and will post them later. Then on day three i saw a rather large guy riding around the Museum of Modern Art (SMAK) on, yes that's right, a lurid green Jiffo !

    So maybe there is a Dahon line of supply to Belgium, or maybe it is just the spiritual home of mythical creatures, etc.
    Jetstream P11 ; iXi

  17. #17
    Weakling
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sweden, Europe
    My Bikes
    Microbike, but I want to own a Carryme
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    dahon likes to reinvent the wheel every two years. its interesting that they are having to go back into the old catalogue now that Tern has walked away with the past 4 years worth of designs and tech. the new single speed presto, for example. but, 1000usd?

    whats wrong with the curve?

    short wheel base and its red.

    the curve Sl was very nice. charcoal gray colored frame, nice components, longer wheelbase. but, also a thousand dollars. and why not try 349 wheels?

    i know most people like brightly colored bicycles as evidenced by the number of them you see, but personally, i would not buy a red, blue, green, fuchsia, tan, olive, yellow, orange, or any other colored bike. black. just make it black!

    also, it seems that the small wheel niche is slowly being filled by boutique design and manufacturing concerns. like the OX Peco, for example. love that.

    ox1.jpg
    I want to know more about that OX Peco bike and I have searched and searched.
    I have found pages in Japanese but not in English? What would it cost in Euro to
    get it to Europe?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weakling View Post
    I have found pages in Japanese but not in English? What would it cost in Euro to
    get it to Europe?
    These people should be able to work it out for you: http://www.fromjapan.co.jp/

  19. #19
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Weakling View Post
    I want to know more about that OX Peco bike and I have searched and searched.
    I have found pages in Japanese but not in English? What would it cost in Euro to
    get it to Europe?
    There's no e-mail on their site (Japan still loves faxes) but you can always send an e-mail here:

    www.statmyweb.com/whois/oxgroup.co.jp

  20. #20
    Weakling
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sweden, Europe
    My Bikes
    Microbike, but I want to own a Carryme
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I guess the shipping costs will add too much to the overall price.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    My Bikes
    2011 Jetstream P11 Alfine
    Posts
    858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jetstream P11 ; iXi

  22. #22
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can also be ordered through Wiggle for €684.56:

    www.wiggle.co.uk/dahon-jifo-16-inch-2013/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •