Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    Leo
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Specialist Tricross Sport & Norco Hybrid
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Green Cruizer Brands...made in Chinese

    These folders are incredibly inexpensive. Anyone have any experience with any of the models on this website. I'm considering getting a 20" wheel model.

    http://www.green-cruiser.com/soloroc...ding-bike.html

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  3. #3
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only if the OP like to work on bikes. Thare is a lot of work and some $ needed to make them good riders. If the OP want to do this and have the knowledge and space I agree, but it is not something most peopel would do.

    I think I`d go for number one, the red one
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  4. #4
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me too

  5. #5
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brighton UK
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    Its looks decent enough for the money, and is very a different
    ball game to a vintage bike for about the same money that
    would likely need a lot of work to restore it to its original
    working condition, and even more money, time and expense
    to get them to go and stop properly by modern standards.

    Still it is a generic bike made to a particular spec with lots
    of brand badges added, that no doubt are easily removed.

    Carefully look at the bits you get and don't get. E.g. for
    that bike they mention "level 1" components. Generally
    "level 1" is steel and "level 2" is alloy. Generally for an
    alloy framebike you want "level 2" bits, not just the
    seatpost, even though the forks are often still steel.

    I really can't understand why somebody would think a 40
    year old $100 Hungarian made bike that probably needs
    a complete rebuild would be a better buy for a new user.

    rgds, sreten.

    Had a Hungarian made 3 speed folder 30 years ago.
    Recently aquired a budget 6 speed chinese folder.

    Both needed some adjustment and tweaking.
    A 40 year old bike would need a lot more.
    Last edited by sreten; 03-04-13 at 03:40 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you guys even look at the adverts? one of those bikes is being sold by a bike shop and is fully tuned up and under warranty... the raleigh twenty looks like its in great condition..

    sorry, but i can never understand why someone would spend 2-300 on a new folding bike only to have to spend another hundred (now youre at the 400 price point) on upgrades and still be stuck with the z-grade frame and hinge components. its nonsensical. i could never, in good conscience, recommend that to anyone. the only reason i can think that you would, is because misery loves company...
    Last edited by smallwheeler; 03-04-13 at 04:02 PM.

  7. #7
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brighton UK
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    did you guys even look at the adverts? two of those bikes are being
    sold by a bike shop and are fully tuned up and under warranty...
    Hi,

    Only one of them that I can see, and not the one recommended.

    One look at the chain of the twenty indicates it needs work.

    I wouldn't trust the brakes of any of them.

    rgds, sreten.
    Last edited by sreten; 03-04-13 at 03:57 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sreten View Post
    Hi,

    Only one of them that I can see, and not the one recommended.

    One look at the chain of the twenty indicates it needs work.

    rgds, sreten.
    No problem. Smallwheeler and I can do the tuneup just as good as any bikeshop, and that way we get to choose the colour of the chain and and and.....

    Why should the bikeshops have all the fun?
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  9. #9
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badmother View Post
    No problem. Smallwheeler and I can do the tuneup just as good as any bikeshop, and that way we get to choose the colour of the chain and and and.....

    Why should the bikeshops have all the fun?

    with pleasure ...

  10. #10
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brighton UK
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    Well its beyond me how people can recommend a used
    bike over a new one without having any real clue as to
    the state of wear of the bike, and what needs servicing.

    Warranties can be utterly useless depending on terms.

    Why must those bikes be better than anything you can
    now buy new ? (even though I remember the folder I had
    years ago more fondly than my current bike, then I was
    very fit, I doubt I'd like it now, in timewarped condition.)

    rgds, sreten.

  11. #11
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wasnt suggesting that in ALL circumstances a used bike will be better than a new cheapie bike. OF COURSE it depends on condition. it is a fact, however, that a bike like a raleigh twenty was robustly built compared to today's cheapies. thats why they are still around and serviceable 40+ years later (and incidentally, why so many people love them). can you imagine a "green cruiser" being around in even 10 years?

  12. #12
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brighton UK
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badmother View Post
    No problem. Smallwheeler and I can do the tuneup just as good
    as any bikeshop, and that way we get to choose the colour of the
    chain and and and..... Why should the bikeshops have all the fun?
    Hi,

    That is hardly the point given the original post, and the fact your
    into doing up old folders essentially irrelevant and thus pointless
    foisting your opinion of what would be a "good" bike on someone
    who wants to buy a working bike, not buy a restoration project.

    Why are you recommending a possible world of pain to someone
    who probably knows not very much about bicycles ? And not
    addressing the fundamental question originally asked ?

    Which is - is this a good bike for the money, if not, what is ?

    rgds, sreten.

  13. #13
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sreten View Post
    Hi,

    That is hardly the point given the original post, and the fact your
    into doing up old folders essentially irrelevant and thus pointless
    foisting your opinion of what would be a "good" bike on someone
    who wants to buy a working bike, not buy a restoration project.

    Why are you recommending a possible world of pain to someone
    who probably knows not very much about bicycles ? And not
    addressing the fundamental question originally asked ?

    Which is - is this a good bike for the money, if not, what is ?

    rgds, sreten.
    you sir, are a humorless curmudgeon.

  14. #14
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brighton UK
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    i wasnt suggesting that in ALL circumstances a used bike will be better than a new cheapie bike.
    OF COURSE it depends on condition. it is a fact, however, that a bike like a raleigh twenty was
    robustly built compared to today's cheapies. thats why they are still around and serviceable
    40+ years later (and incidentally, why so many people love them). can you imagine a
    "green cruiser" being around in even 10 years?
    Hi,

    Since getting back into biking I've noticed a lot of "cheap" bicycles
    that are still going - not in the best condition - but probably in
    completely original condition - they are at least as resilient as any
    basic British or American bike that is not maintained, probably more.

    The idea that my cheap bike won't last very long, when every component on
    it allthough cheap is better or the same than any made 30 years ago is just
    ridiculous. (30 year old components for cheap bikes of course.)

    The idea that you can survive making poor components to be sold to gullible
    westerners given the scale of the global bike market doesn't make any sense.

    (Of course you can sell them poor designs, very different matter.)

    The basic components are all sound and will last at least as long as older stuff.

    rgds, sreten.

    The Twenty has a nice frame, comparitively, the rest ....

    There is every reason to assume a modern basic properly maintained
    bike will last as long as the old ones, but also every reason to assume
    a cheap basic bike will not be maintained properly if at all in the West.
    Last edited by sreten; 03-04-13 at 05:37 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sreten View Post
    The idea that you can survive making poor components to be sold to gullible
    westerners given the scale of the global bike market doesn't make any sense.
    they only need to sell you one...

  16. #16
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brighton UK
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    they only need to sell you one...
    Hi, not really a business case for tooling investment, rgds, sreten.

  17. #17
    Leo
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    Specialist Tricross Sport & Norco Hybrid
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone! A heated discussion can often stir up some new insights and you've all given me plenty to mull over. We do have a local dealer here, so the next step would be to go for a test ride. I was kind of hoping though that someone here already had some hands on experience with the brand.

  18. #18
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    best advice: test ride a variety of bikes..

  19. #19
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or spend some more money and get a real deal:

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dahon-Mu-XL-...item1c30b52773

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Dahon Curve D3 w/ Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Trek F400, ANT Roadster, Mercier Nano, no-name electric folder, RANS Wave recumbent, Trident Spike trike, Hunter fillet-brazed MTB
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is this thread full of stuff about vintage folders? As I can attest as the owner of an old Peugeot, and current Dahon Speed TR and Speed UNO; the relationship between those old European folders and the OP's question is non-existent.

  21. #21
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the relationship between a speed TR and a "green cruiser" is also non-existent..

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Dahon Curve D3 w/ Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Trek F400, ANT Roadster, Mercier Nano, no-name electric folder, RANS Wave recumbent, Trident Spike trike, Hunter fillet-brazed MTB
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    the relationship between a speed TR and a "green cruiser" is also non-existent..
    Which is why I didn't tell him "forget that that Green thing, get a TR"..

  23. #23
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the point of my original suggestion was twofold:

    1. the cheap junkie bike that he was contemplating spending 200 on was in no way worth the money.

    2. its possible to find something interesting locally on craigslist or at a LBS.


    i dont understand why that's so difficult to grasp.

    ive owned a raleigh twenty and i've also had the displeasure of owning a "citizen tokyo" which is comparable to the "green cruiser". the raleigh twenty was superior to that piece of garbage in every possible way. that experience is what i base my opinion and advice to others on.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    My Bikes
    Dahon Curve D3 w/ Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Trek F400, ANT Roadster, Mercier Nano, no-name electric folder, RANS Wave recumbent, Trident Spike trike, Hunter fillet-brazed MTB
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    the point of my original suggestion was twofold:

    1. the cheap junkie bike that he was contemplating spending 200 on was in no way worth the money.

    2. its possible to find something interesting locally on craigslist or at a LBS.


    i dont understand why that's so difficult to grasp.

    ive owned a raleigh twenty and i've also had the displeasure of owning a "citizen tokyo" which is comparable to the "green cruiser". the raleigh twenty was superior to that piece of garbage in every possible way. that experience is what i base my opinion and advice to others on.
    What's difficult to grasp is why you keep responding to the OP's question with answers that have nothing to do with it. A $600 Dahon? That's triple the price of the bike he asked about. If he wanted to spend 600 on a folder, I doubt he would be asking about the $200 one.

    You have no experience with the "green cruiser" - which is what he asked about - and keep directing him to completely different bikes. I fail to see how this is helpful.

  25. #25
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,745
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
    What's difficult to grasp is why you keep responding to the OP's question with answers that have nothing to do with it. A $600 Dahon? That's triple the price of the bike he asked about. If he wanted to spend 600 on a folder, I doubt he would be asking about the $200 one.

    You have no experience with the "green cruiser" - which is what he asked about - and keep directing him to completely different bikes. I fail to see how this is helpful.

    steering him away from a z-grade bike WAS my intention. i think the fewer of us who actually have an experience with a "green crusier" the better off we'll all be.

    i know the dahon was out of the price range, but i just happened to see it and thought it was a good deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •