Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-13, 09:45 PM   #1
Joe Remi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Dahon Curve D3 w/ Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Trek F400, ANT Roadster, Mercier Nano, no-name electric folder, RANS Wave recumbent, Trident Spike trike, Hunter fillet-brazed MTB
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Speed UNO, got one

I found it on Craigslist. A guy ordered it for a commute, then discovered his new job provides a free shuttle. Unboxed, never ridden. I just got it home and spent about an hour on it around the neighborhood. What a fun bike! I haven't ridden a singlespeed coaster-brake bike since I was a kid, and boy is it a revelation: Stomp on the pedals to get going; coast when you run out of gear; stomp on the pedals to stop. Simple!

I found it much easier to get used to a coaster brake than I expected, but I still feel a front brake is a good idea in a panic stop. I already have a Rivendell Silver (Tektro) long-reach caliper, which will be mated to a Paul Cross Lever I have on order. The only mod so far is a Brooks B17 saddle which will carry a selection of Riv Sackville saddlebags.

The biggest issue with this little $400 runabout is avoiding the temptation to mod it into a $1500 bike! It has a "blank slate" vibe to it that begs for personalization. I'll try to resist.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 01:06 AM   #2
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Congrats, give us some pix!

Been riding my 20" folder as a SS these days just for fun (selected a gear and decided to stay in that gear). I need to calculate and write down what gear it is. Got an old (70`s) beater with a two speed kickback that is going to be used more this summer but first I have to get a better gear range and ridingposition for it. It is great with simple clean bikes if you live in a fairly flat area.

Lots of Uno lovers here. They often end up as two speeds as the owners like you like to tinker.

What colour Brooks?

Last edited by badmother; 03-04-13 at 01:14 AM.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 01:32 PM   #3
Joe Remi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Dahon Curve D3 w/ Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Trek F400, ANT Roadster, Mercier Nano, no-name electric folder, RANS Wave recumbent, Trident Spike trike, Hunter fillet-brazed MTB
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
Congrats, give us some pix!

Been riding my 20" folder as a SS these days just for fun (selected a gear and decided to stay in that gear). I need to calculate and write down what gear it is. Got an old (70`s) beater with a two speed kickback that is going to be used more this summer but first I have to get a better gear range and ridingposition for it. It is great with simple clean bikes if you live in a fairly flat area.

Lots of Uno lovers here. They often end up as two speeds as the owners like you like to tinker.

What colour Brooks?
I'll try to get a pic up soon; I'm quite the Luddite when it comes to digital cameras and computers. It has a green Brooks with gold rails.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 02:26 PM   #4
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not modding ? Its futile

:-)
thor
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 02:56 PM   #5
Joe Remi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Dahon Curve D3 w/ Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Trek F400, ANT Roadster, Mercier Nano, no-name electric folder, RANS Wave recumbent, Trident Spike trike, Hunter fillet-brazed MTB
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
not modding ? Its futile

:-)
thor
I believe you. Can you sell me a black crank with blue bolts like on the 2-speed UNO you had for sale?
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 02:58 PM   #6
sreten
Banned.
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brighton UK
Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike
Posts: 1,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

You can stop in half the distance using the front brake only.
(With full front brake the unloaded rear is next to useless...)

Downhill and trying to stop on the rear isn't worth thinking
about. The situation where your likely to be going the fastest
is also the situation where you simply won't be able to stop
in anything like the sort of distance you may think you can.

Fit a decent front brake pronto and use it most of the time.
(Its a very bad habit to mainly use the rear, when you really
need to brake you need the front only, and if your not used
to it it can all go horribly pearshaped in an emergency.)
The rear is fine at slow speed and for slippery conditions.

rgds, sreten.

Will chucking money at it make it any more fun ?
I doubt it. Best upgrade I can do to my very
budget bike is for me to lose some weight ...

Last edited by sreten; 03-04-13 at 03:29 PM.
sreten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 03:07 PM   #7
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I believe you. Can you sell me a black crank with blue bolts like on the 2-speed UNO you had for sale?
Seat sounds good, but then you want GREEN bolts do`nt you?
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 10:58 AM   #8
Joe Remi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Dahon Curve D3 w/ Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Trek F400, ANT Roadster, Mercier Nano, no-name electric folder, RANS Wave recumbent, Trident Spike trike, Hunter fillet-brazed MTB
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
Seat sounds good, but then you want GREEN bolts do`nt you?
Good point, the saddlebags are green, too. Hmm..
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 11:37 AM   #9
Clarabelle
Senior Member
 
Clarabelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sequim, Washington on the Olympic Peninsula
Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha, Fuji touring, Trex hybrid, Bike Friday Tandem Traveler
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bought my dad a coaster towards the end of his life. He rode it all over the county. It gave him independence after he could no longer drive. It was a wonderful gift.
Clarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 04:46 PM   #10
Joe Remi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Dahon Curve D3 w/ Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Trek F400, ANT Roadster, Mercier Nano, no-name electric folder, RANS Wave recumbent, Trident Spike trike, Hunter fillet-brazed MTB
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now with a pic! http://www.flickr.com/photos/18972972@N08/8540943360/
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-13, 12:47 AM   #11
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Yay! Looking good!
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-13, 08:34 PM   #12
stevekk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CA / OR Border
Bikes: 2 old Schwinns + 4 dahons
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 Uno's and am a new owner
Please let us know of any mods, so I can learn to.
stevekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 03:57 AM   #13
jerrysimon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I already have too many small wheeled bikes (one will be going soon) but have just picked up a new Dahon Uno for a really good price. Its going to be interesting to see how it compares to my other rides.

I am already thinking about fitting either a SRAM T3 or SRAM A2 both with coasters that I have sitting in the workshop. I will probably also try both Kojaks and Big Apples on it.

I know I am going to like the 20" wheels, how light (9.9kg) it is and a big favourite of mine, being able to carry luggage on the front bearing the weight on the frame not the steering.

Have to wait another week till the order comes in

PS and being in the UK no doubt will have to fit mudguards sigh...

Jerry

Last edited by jerrysimon; 03-16-13 at 04:02 AM.
jerrysimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 04:09 AM   #14
jerrysimon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One other thing, but is it me or is this a pretty incredible deal for a chain full chain set i.e. left/right crank, removable chain ring (53T ?), spider and chain guard ?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...inset-ec047615

Is the bottom bracket fitting specific or is this a generic chainset that would fit any standard BB ?

Jerry

Last edited by jerrysimon; 03-16-13 at 04:18 AM.
jerrysimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 05:25 AM   #15
bhtooefr
Roadmaster Snobbery Club
 
bhtooefr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Newark, Ohio
Bikes: 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heh, the blank slate effect of the single-speed Dahons... (And the Boardwalks aren't THAT much heavier, especially when you consider they have steel fenders and such. And some of them were 4130, making them essentially the same as the Speeds, although mine's gaspipe.)

Another thing to consider, if you don't want to modify a SRAM Automatix's shift point (seriously, SRAM, is it too much to ask for an easy spring tension adjuster? Doesn't even have to be as easy as the old Shimano AB-100, just something external), is the Sachs Duomatic. Long-term reviews of the Sturmey-Archer S2C are almost universally bad, but you can find old Duomatics without too much trouble. (I got one from Jens of scheunenfun.de.) Bonus, the old Duomatics won't need the rear triangle to be widened (I'm at least assuming that it's a 110 mm rear triangle on the Speed...)

Now I just want a front drum brake (because I hate rim brakes), but Greenspeed apparently doesn't do the 74 mm Sturmeys any more, so I'll take a dynohub instead and live with the rim brakes.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 12:54 PM   #16
Joe Remi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Dahon Curve D3 w/ Automatix, old Peugeot folder, Trek F400, ANT Roadster, Mercier Nano, no-name electric folder, RANS Wave recumbent, Trident Spike trike, Hunter fillet-brazed MTB
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysimon View Post
One other thing, but is it me or is this a pretty incredible deal for a chain full chain set i.e. left/right crank, removable chain ring (53T ?), spider and chain guard ?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...inset-ec047615

Is the bottom bracket fitting specific or is this a generic chainset that would fit any standard BB ?

Jerry
Standard square-taper BB. I assume it would fit the stock spindle-length on the UNO.
Joe Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 07:44 AM   #17
pacificcyclist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtooefr View Post
Heh, the blank slate effect of the single-speed Dahons... (And the Boardwalks aren't THAT much heavier, especially when you consider they have steel fenders and such. And some of them were 4130, making them essentially the same as the Speeds, although mine's gaspipe.)

Another thing to consider, if you don't want to modify a SRAM Automatix's shift point (seriously, SRAM, is it too much to ask for an easy spring tension adjuster? Doesn't even have to be as easy as the old Shimano AB-100, just something external), is the Sachs Duomatic. Long-term reviews of the Sturmey-Archer S2C are almost universally bad, but you can find old Duomatics without too much trouble. (I got one from Jens of scheunenfun.de.) Bonus, the old Duomatics won't need the rear triangle to be widened (I'm at least assuming that it's a 110 mm rear triangle on the Speed...)

Now I just want a front drum brake (because I hate rim brakes), but Greenspeed apparently doesn't do the 74 mm Sturmeys any more, so I'll take a dynohub instead and live with the rim brakes.
Sturmey Archer S2C hub isn't meant for wet weather riding. You will easily kill it like I did this year. The problem with the S2C hub is with the older design. I recently got a warranty replacement of the entire new hub internal assembly from Sturmey Archer and it was free. David at SA UPS the new hub no question asked free. Once I got it, my mechanic replaced it and it is now working perfectly!

New internals seemed to switch gears a lot easier and also noticed the drag was a lot less compared to when I got it from Bruce. I already put around 1000 miles on it btw before the orginal internals locked up.
pacificcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-13, 04:09 AM   #18
jerrysimon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well my new Dahon Uno has been dispatched

I should get it Tues. This was a great deal as they had it on sale for 288 ($438) incl delivery so that was well worth getting. If I don't like it I am sure it will be fine to pass it on. This one has front and back rim brakes not the rear coaster version.

As I said else where, although I sat on one before I like quite a upright riding position so it may need some adjusting. I assume that the adjustable/telescopic head tubes/stems can be used form other Dahons ? I doubt it will come to using one of those as there are quite a few other options. I may also try one of my small assist motors on it though I think these forks are aluminum ? again I assume I could swap these with some steel Speed ones ?

Anyway gear wise I plan to change it and try an SRAM A2, an old Sachs & Fitch Duomatic kick back and a SRAM T3 all of which are sitting in my parts box. I think the SRAM T3 wil probably give me the widest and highest gear range. Again I may move up from the stock 53T main ? to a 56T as I have one of them in my parts box as well.

What I also love is that Dahon now fit the front luggage option onto the welded lug like the Brompton, so again will enjoy playing around with front luggage options.

I will report back with lots of pics of course. The OPs pics look great.

PS I need to cull the heard a bit so the TSR2 may be on the way out. Great bike but just not practical to leave anywhere locked up

Jerry

Last edited by jerrysimon; 03-23-13 at 04:19 AM.
jerrysimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 01:59 PM   #19
vmaniqui
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bay Area, SF California
Bikes: Citizen Tokyo, A-Bike, Dahon Boardwalk D6, Dahon Boardwalk D7, Dahon Curve D3, Dahon Mu XL, BF Tikit2, Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Curve SL.
Posts: 1,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Remi View Post
I found it on Craigslist. A guy ordered it for a commute, then discovered his new job provides a free shuttle. Unboxed, never ridden. I just got it home and spent about an hour on it around the neighborhood. What a fun bike! I haven't ridden a singlespeed coaster-brake bike since I was a kid, and boy is it a revelation: Stomp on the pedals to get going; coast when you run out of gear; stomp on the pedals to stop. Simple!

I found it much easier to get used to a coaster brake than I expected, but I still feel a front brake is a good idea in a panic stop. I already have a Rivendell Silver (Tektro) long-reach caliper, which will be mated to a Paul Cross Lever I have on order. The only mod so far is a Brooks B17 saddle which will carry a selection of Riv Sackville saddlebags.

The biggest issue with this little $400 runabout is avoiding the temptation to mod it into a $1500 bike! It has a "blank slate" vibe to it that begs for personalization. I'll try to resist.
don't and you can't resist. once you have a nice folding bike you really would want to upgrade some parts. been there done that....that's the fun of owning a folding bike.
vmaniqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 02:44 PM   #20
singlespeedtwin
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Norman ok
Bikes: Karate monkey handsome devil bike Friday
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you have pictures?
singlespeedtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 03:49 PM   #21
jerrysimon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is mine initially upgraded and fitted with a SRAM A2/coaster brake version and a Brompton 54T chain ring.




And as it is now changed to an SRAM A2 freewheel and standard brake as I could not get on with the coaster. It also now has a small, narrow 1.4Kg electric hub motor fitted to the front




I found the Brompton chain ring had the wrong taper and creaked so I went back to the stock Uno 53T one. I also now use a modified Brompton luggage block so I can use my Brompton front luggage which carries the electrics and a small battery which I can swap between my eBromptons and this

Jerry

Last edited by jerrysimon; 01-07-14 at 05:55 AM.
jerrysimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 05:07 AM   #22
Delsian
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could you please let me know what kind of "small, narrow 1.4Kg electric hub motor" do you use? Because I coudn't find any to fit those 78mm of Dahon fork. Usualy all the hubs are 100mm width.
Delsian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:43 PM.