Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-13, 06:52 AM   #1
Ekdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Brompton touch-up paint

Love my new Brompton! But... the paint has bubbled up in a couple of places. It's really nothing big but since it's a new bike and still under warranty, I wonder if the folks at Brompton might be induced to send me a free bottle of touch-up paint.

What do you think? Would it be cheeky of me to ask them for this?
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 08:36 AM   #2
cplager
The Recumbent Quant
 
cplager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Norwalk, CT
Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
Posts: 3,018
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Love my new Brompton! But... the paint has bubbled up in a couple of places. It's really nothing big but since it's a new bike and still under warranty, I wonder if the folks at Brompton might be induced to send me a free bottle of touch-up paint.

What do you think? Would it be cheeky of me to ask them for this?
Take a picture and send it to them. I don't see a downside...
cplager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 08:44 AM   #3
chagzuki
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes: Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
Posts: 1,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's the least they could do. I'd expect a frame that'd been properly painted in the first place & therefore a replacement under warranty.
chagzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 10:00 AM   #4
darukhan
Senior Member
 
darukhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Bikes:
Posts: 266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagzuki View Post
That's the least they could do. I'd expect a frame that'd been properly painted in the first place & therefore a replacement under warranty.
I agree, and I was going to post something similar.

Ekdog,
If the paint has "bubbled up", that's an indication of either poor surface preparation of the metal before the paint was applied, or rust (which I doubt it's rusting at this point). That said, while Brompton makes high quality, hand crafted bikes, you should call them out on this issue... take detailed photos of the problem areas and email them asking what they intend to do / recommend to do to fix the problem.
darukhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-13, 08:42 PM   #5
Ekdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies. As you can see, the blemishes are quite small, but I think I'll take your advice and mention them to Brompton.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3ar6mriez...0Blemishes.jpg
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 12:50 AM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,462
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
AFAIK, currently its powder coating, not paint.. might be a foreign object in the melted powder

touch up is ground , the same, powder, in lacquer, that dries.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-16-13 at 12:53 AM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 03:54 AM   #7
jerrysimon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first Brompton had rub patches after three years where the cable runs touched the frame. For my second one I applied clear patches to protect the associated areas as soon as I purchased it. As one Brompton is Black and the other White, finding touch up paint is not a problem. An advantage of my Ti model of course is there is no paint on the frame extremities anyway

Jerry
jerrysimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 03:12 PM   #8
Ekdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrysimon View Post
My first Brompton had rub patches after three years where the cable runs touched the frame. For my second one I applied clear patches to protect the associated areas as soon as I purchased it. As one Brompton is Black and the other White, finding touch up paint is not a problem. An advantage of my Ti model of course is there is no paint on the frame extremities anyway

Jerry
I applied helicopter tape to all of the areas where the cables rub against the frame as soon as I got it home from the shop.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 04:14 PM   #9
lucille
Senior Member
 
lucille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ohhh, nice colour, Ekdog! Will we see some more pics of the whole bike? Pretty please? ;-)

I would be complaining about the paint for sure. It's a brand new, high quality, expensive bike - there shouldn't be any problems with it. Bottle of touch-up paint is not quite enough, in my opinion.
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 04:32 PM   #10
Ekdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Ohhh, nice colour, Ekdog! Will we see some more pics of the whole bike? Pretty please? ;-)

I would be complaining about the paint for sure. It's a brand new, high quality, expensive bike - there shouldn't be any problems with it. Bottle of touch-up paint is not quite enough, in my opinion.
Yeah, I've got to get out and do some riding and take some pictures. I've been really busy of late.

Brompton turned me down on the paint. They said the blemishes are chips and implied I did it. :-( Oh, well...
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-13, 05:51 PM   #11
lucille
Senior Member
 
lucille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Yeah, I've got to get out and do some riding and take some pictures. I've been really busy of late.

Brompton turned me down on the paint. They said the blemishes are chips and implied I did it. :-( Oh, well...
Oh, that's not very nice! How many days have you had the bike? Tell them the shipping date, or ask the dealer to help you deal with them.
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 01:10 AM   #12
Ekdog
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Ekdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seville, Spain
Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem
Posts: 4,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
Oh, that's not very nice! How many days have you had the bike? Tell them the shipping date, or ask the dealer to help you deal with them.
Well, to tell the truth, I'm not 100% sure I didn't cause the damage. I noticed it about a week after I took delivery of the bike. I think I'll just put out the 15 euros or whatever it is and buy the paint.
Ekdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 06:14 AM   #13
lucille
Senior Member
 
lucille's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekdog View Post
Well, to tell the truth, I'm not 100% sure I didn't cause the damage. I noticed it about a week after I took delivery of the bike. I think I'll just put out the 15 euros or whatever it is and buy the paint.
:-(
lucille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 06:58 AM   #14
ratdog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York City
Bikes:
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To be honest, it looks like chipped paint to me also, unless you're talking about the area at the hinge that looks like you have tape over it.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 PM.