Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-13, 08:02 AM   #1
thugpipe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I need a source for 20"(406) rims

I am looking to build a stronger set of wheels for my Dahon Silvertip and and my Mercier Nano but I am having trouble finding a source for rims other than buying a new complete wheel set and disassembling it.

I found a couple of rims that fit the bill but I can't seem to find a good place to buy them. The Velocity Fusion rim or the Alex DA-16(discontinued?) have a 20"(406) rim with a 28h or 32h but where to find them? does anyone know an online dealer or a shop in NJ or NYC that can get these or something similar?
thugpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 08:49 AM   #2
rhenning
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,499
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Any BMX bike shop in the world can get you many different models of 406 rims. Wide to narrow, steel or alloy and on and on. Roger
rhenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 09:06 AM   #3
khuong
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Bikes: Dahon Speed D7
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I emailed Velocity once and they were able to let me know that they carried the Velocity Uriel 406 wheel set. Maybe they still have some Fusion rims for you. velocity@velocityusa.com

I also found this: http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shop...usion-406.aspx

Not sure how reliable the website is...
khuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 09:50 AM   #4
ratdog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New York City
Bikes:
Posts: 874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/velocity.asp

or

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...?category=3874
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 09:57 AM   #5
thugpipe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuong View Post
I emailed Velocity once and they were able to let me know that they carried the Velocity Uriel 406 wheel set. Maybe they still have some Fusion rims for you. velocity@velocityusa.com

I also found this: http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shop...usion-406.aspx

Not sure how reliable the website is...
I had found that website too but it will not let you add the rims to your cart.

I will try emailing velocity usa, thanks.
thugpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 02:01 PM   #6
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,358
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
I have 406-47 Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires , Option was stock on my Bike Friday Pocket Llama,
you can order them on line from the Bike Friday Store if you cannot go to any Bike shops ..


Bike Friday used Sun CR 18 in my bike build, I see them in distributor catalogs at the Shop.. (Rims & tires)
check Your Local.





./.

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-13-16 at 09:31 AM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-13, 04:09 PM   #7
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,855
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
You can get a variety from ebay from dana67301. Make sure you get the right 20" one though, they carry both.
jur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-13, 12:11 AM   #8
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 20,358
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Dans comp is a BMX site http://www.danscomp.com/
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-13, 05:36 PM   #9
thugpipe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thanks everyone, I suppose I should have focused more on bmx stuff from the start. I found a couple of sites (jrbicycles.com danscomp.com) that had rims that were right in line with what I need which is good because I just picked up another bike with 406 wheels, an origin 8 bully and I am now in the process of putting on disc brakes, so im going to be building a bunch of wheels. Thanks
thugpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 10:05 PM   #10
thugpipe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Well I want to thank everybody again for their help, I built up my wheels, I ended up getting some Velocity Aero Heat rims with unmachined sidewalls and they came out great.
thugpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 04:41 AM   #11
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena.
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
So how did those Velocity Aeroheats turn out for you? With the release of the PC Reach frameset, I am getting ready for a 406er build, and the Aeroheats are my pick for the job. There's also the Cliffhangers, but they are heavier, and with 32H I think the Aeroheats will be plenty strong. I've got the hubs--Shimano XT 32H with thru-axle on the front hub--on order already...


Quote:
Originally Posted by thugpipe View Post
Well I want to thank everybody again for their help, I built up my wheels, I ended up getting some Velocity Aero Heat rims with unmachined sidewalls and they came out great.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-13-16 at 04:45 AM.
Abu Mahendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 05:17 AM   #12
thugpipe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post
So how did those Velocity Aeroheats turn out for you? With the release of the PC Reach frameset, I am getting ready for a 406er build, and the Aeroheats are my pick for the job. There's also the Cliffhangers, but they are heavier, and with 32H I think the Aeroheats will be plenty strong. I've got the hubs--Shimano XT 32H with thru-axle on the front hub--on order already...
The Aero heat rims are very nice although I did manage to destroy the rear one because I had been running the 1.95" tires at 100psi I cracked the sidewall almost the whole way round, it was just too much pressure for such a narrow rim(24mm). I built up a new set of wheels this year with wider velocity cliffhanger rims and I took the old front wheel and built up my Respect Mini Velo around it and put more appropriate narrow kojak 1-3/8" tires on the aeroheat rims I just had to build a new rear wheel as you may have seen. Overall I would say the aero heats are great rims and it is nice that they are available with Non-MSW in a 20" rim just be sure to use them with the correct size tires.
thugpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 05:57 AM   #13
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena.
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
You triggered a deeply filed memory of Aeroheats cracking at high psi. I now remember--I had forgotten till now--that this problem, the one you encountered had been reported elsewhere. Google 'Velocity Aeroheat crack'. I guess I'll be going with the Cliffhangers now...

Kojaks go up to 95psi so watch those Aeroheats.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thugpipe View Post
The Aero heat rims are very nice although I did manage to destroy the rear one because I had been running the 1.95" tires at 100psi I cracked the sidewall almost the whole way round, it was just too much pressure for such a narrow rim(24mm). I built up a new set of wheels this year with wider velocity cliffhanger rims and I took the old front wheel and built up my Respect Mini Velo around it and put more appropriate narrow kojak 1-3/8" tires on the aeroheat rims I just had to build a new rear wheel as you may have seen. Overall I would say the aero heats are great rims and it is nice that they are available with Non-MSW in a 20" rim just be sure to use them with the correct size tires.

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-13-16 at 06:03 AM.
Abu Mahendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 06:29 AM   #14
thugpipe
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: 2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2016 Respect Mini Velo
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post
You triggered a deeply filed memory of Aeroheats cracking at high psi. I now remember--I had forgotten till now--that this problem, the one you encountered had been reported elsewhere. Google 'Velocity Aeroheat crack'. I guess I'll be going with the Cliffhangers now...

Kojaks go up to 95psi so watch those Aeroheats.

Honestly I don't fault the rims I was putting way too wide a tire on that rim and stressed them too much, totally user error. The cliffhanger rims are great but they are very wide and really are made for much wider tires, I actually have a whole extra set because velocity screwed up and sent me 36h rims that were marked 32h so the sent me new ones and told me to keep the others perhaps I'll pick up a BMX frame.
thugpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 08:16 AM   #15
AvenirFolder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I like the tough Andras: Ryde Rims .
AvenirFolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 08:17 AM   #16
ThorUSA
Senior Member
 
ThorUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Olney Illinois USA
Bikes: to many
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
talking about rims .... we sell those as a disclaimer up front.
The Dutch Ryde factory makes a rim called Andra ... looks suspiciously normal, without all the fanfare. But whats inside is interesting. First the shoulder is super thick, next the sidewalls are thicker and higher than normal, and the kicker are the spoke holes, they are not straight but in line with the spokes. That is super important when you use big hubs ( this is the only rim suggested by Rohloff for all their builts ) and it gets more important for smaller rim sizes obviously.


The kicker ?
Only in 36 holes at this time, and they are pretty heavy as well. But If somebody wants to built a super strong and lasting wheel than these will do the trick.


thor
ThorUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 08:23 AM   #17
AvenirFolder
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have them on my touring 26er. Nothing tougher! Especially the CSS version.
AvenirFolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 04:02 PM   #18
Abu Mahendra
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bali
Bikes: Dahon Dash P18, Dahon Dash Altena.
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Hi, you have anything else in 32H (406) black color? Those Ryde Andras are too much for the purpose at hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorUSA View Post
talking about rims .... we sell those as a disclaimer up front.
The Dutch Ryde factory makes a rim called Andra ... looks suspiciously normal, without all the fanfare. But whats inside is interesting. First the shoulder is super thick, next the sidewalls are thicker and higher than normal, and the kicker are the spoke holes, they are not straight but in line with the spokes. That is super important when you use big hubs ( this is the only rim suggested by Rohloff for all their builts ) and it gets more important for smaller rim sizes obviously.


The kicker ?
Only in 36 holes at this time, and they are pretty heavy as well. But If somebody wants to built a super strong and lasting wheel than these will do the trick.


thor

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 09-13-16 at 04:15 PM.
Abu Mahendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 08:04 PM   #19
ThorUSA
Senior Member
 
ThorUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Olney Illinois USA
Bikes: to many
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
sorry Abu don't have
ThorUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 03:57 AM   #20
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Bikes: Too many to list,...
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorUSA View Post
sorry Abu don't have
Thor, do you have a front wheel that will match the wheel on my former Dahon Speed Duo (now Trio, with the same rim in the rear)? I'd prefer a rhino lite rim with Dahon compatible hub spacing.

Please PM me if this is a possibility,...
__________________
Fitness is only a side effect,...I feel alive when I ride!!!
tds101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 08:04 AM   #21
ThorUSA
Senior Member
 
ThorUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Olney Illinois USA
Bikes: to many
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tds101 View Post
Thor, do you have a front wheel that will match the wheel on my former Dahon Speed Duo (now Trio, with the same rim in the rear)? I'd prefer a rhino lite rim with Dahon compatible hub spacing.

Please PM me if this is a possibility,...
all black .. Yes I do have I am pretty sure
just order a D7 front wheel and write in comments you need all black
ThorUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 09:55 AM   #22
tds101 
Grumpy old man,...
 
tds101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mastic Beach, NY
Bikes: Too many to list,...
Posts: 1,552
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorUSA View Post
all black .. Yes I do have I am pretty sure
just order a D7 front wheel and write in comments you need all black
I'll contact you, via the comments, later on. Thanks Thor!
__________________
Fitness is only a side effect,...I feel alive when I ride!!!
tds101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.