Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-13, 01:43 PM   #1
gdhi11
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sell me on The Origami Cricket or Crane

Really interested--looking for owners who can comment on the cricket or Crane.
gdhi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-13, 03:36 PM   #2
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I own a bunch of them, but you need a opinion that is less biased than mine. ;-)
__________________
Paul Pinigis

http://www.origamibicycles.com
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 02:18 PM   #3
KlibanQat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Bikes: Origami Crane
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been puttering around on a Crane for 9 months now. If if weren't for wind gusts that force me to drop THREE gears to make headway, I'd be out there on it right this minute. This is a very flat area with no hill but a railway overpass, the gears are good enough for that and for headwinds. It's about time for the chain to be oiled but I haven't needed any other regular maintenance. Replaced the left crank arm after dropping the bike on that side with a 20lb. load on the rear rack one time too often and then failing to diagnose the clicking loosened crank arm before it grew too worn. Lesson learned: don't rely on the kickstand alone if you've got 20lb. on the rear rack, always keep hold on the handlebars, folders have a strange center of gravity--and don't ignore strange bike noises!
KlibanQat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 02:35 PM   #4
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlibanQat View Post
... Lesson learned: don't rely on the kickstand alone if you've got 20lb. on the rear rack, ...
+1.
A Pletscher double leg stand is one of my favorite "accessories".
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 07:37 PM   #5
Bill Fold
Senior Member
 
Bill Fold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lady Lake, Florida
Bikes: Montague MX, Origami Crane
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Origami Crane is a 2012. From both what I've read and the photos I've seen, the 2013 appears to have several minor improvements. One thing I can say is that the model I have has a very solid folding mechanism. I feel very secure on the bike. I'm also enjoying making upgrades as I discover what will help me achieve my cycling goals.

If you are shopping in the $300 range, I doubt you will find many other folders within 25 lbs. Weight is one area where you have to be cautious. Your typical $200 bikes are going to be more like 30 lbs, so don't be fooled.

Perhaps it would help if you had more specific questiions. I really do not have a desire to "sell" anyone on a particular bike.

Best regards,

Bill
Bill Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 09:58 AM   #6
gdhi11
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fold View Post
My Origami Crane is a 2012. From both what I've read and the photos I've seen, the 2013 appears to have several minor improvements. One thing I can say is that the model I have has a very solid folding mechanism. I feel very secure on the bike. I'm also enjoying making upgrades as I discover what will help me achieve my cycling goals.

If you are shopping in the $300 range, I doubt you will find many other folders within 25 lbs. Weight is one area where you have to be cautious. Your typical $200 bikes are going to be more like 30 lbs, so don't be fooled.

Perhaps it would help if you had more specific questiions. I really do not have a desire to "sell" anyone on a particular bike.

Best regards,

Bill
What I'd really like to know is how durable are the bikes and what is the ride quality like compared to something like a low-end Dahon or Tern or perhaps a high-end citizen.

I'm really on the fence about what I want to buy now because some things have happened that make me able to spend a bit more for a bike.
gdhi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 10:40 AM   #7
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhi11 View Post
What I'd really like to know is how durable are the bikes and what is the ride quality like compared to something like a low-end Dahon or Tern or perhaps a high-end citizen.

I'm really on the fence about what I want to buy now because some things have happened that make me able to spend a bit more for a bike.
Take a closer look at the hinges and latches on the Oirgamis and the Citizens, I think you will see that the Origami hinges are superior. There are good photos on both comany websites. Keep in mind that I have a vested interest in Origami, so my view is biased.
__________________
Paul Pinigis

http://www.origamibicycles.com
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 11:05 AM   #8
gdhi11
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
Take a closer look at the hinges and latches on the Oirgamis and the Citizens, I think you will see that the Origami hinges are superior. There are good photos on both comany websites. Keep in mind that I have a vested interest in Origami, so my view is biased.
I noticed the hinges are different, is the latch the same?
gdhi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 11:17 AM   #9
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhi11 View Post
I noticed the hinges are different, is the latch the same?
The hinges and latches have been upgraded for 2013.
__________________
Paul Pinigis

http://www.origamibicycles.com
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 11:35 AM   #10
bakechad
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago Area
Bikes: 2005 Giant Cypress LX
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are 5'10", 195 lbs, is the Crane solid enough, or does the Cricket make more sense?

Also, I noticed the Cricket lists Disc brakes. What brand are they?

Thanks

Chad
bakechad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 12:25 PM   #11
DVC45
Senior Member
 
DVC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the Origami because the CEO posts here. If you have any question, he is easy to reach.
I can't recall his name though.
DVC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 12:37 PM   #12
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
Take a closer look at the hinges and latches on the Oirgamis and the Citizens, I think you will see that the Origami hinges are superior...
Kudos to Origami's interlocking hinge faces however what are the tolerances... are they a snug fit?

IMHO that is a necessity with a fold in half aluminum frame and is why I bought the cheaper steel framed Miami rather than the more expensive (and better looking, IMHO) alu framed Gotham2. I couldn't find any indication that the G2's hinge was well designed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OriHinge.jpg (27.1 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by BassNotBass; 04-10-13 at 12:45 PM.
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 01:04 PM   #13
ksisler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
They are just a reduce format bike. But they are still bikes and what works for a regular format bike would work for them also...such as how to replace a bottom bracket, alter the gearing, patching flats, etc.
ksisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-13, 01:05 PM   #14
ksisler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone know if they have any IGH versions with more than the 3-spd showing in their ads today?

A 5 or 7spd would make them much more interesting for commutes?
ksisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 08:13 PM   #15
gdhi11
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so couple of questions. First, Looking at the Crane and Cricket, can they do a more serious bike seat position where you lean down a bit more--kinda like how road bikes tend to position the rider with his back more parallel to the ground. (I know I sound like a total bike newb but kinda am)

Second, How much speed loss am I looking at for having the cricket. With suspension I know there is a tradeoff but with me being a bike newb am I going to notice it enough to care? I'm reconsidering whether I want the crane or cricket based on this a bit.

Third, will I be getting a bike that is comparable to low end Dahons? How does it favor compared to them?
gdhi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 08:23 PM   #16
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassNotBass View Post
Kudos to Origami's interlocking hinge faces however what are the tolerances... are they a snug fit?

IMHO that is a necessity with a fold in half aluminum frame and is why I bought the cheaper steel framed Miami rather than the more expensive (and better looking, IMHO) alu framed Gotham2. I couldn't find any indication that the G2's hinge was well designed.
The Origami hinge have a large percentage of mating surfaces and tight tollerances. It is one one of the most rigid hinges that I have encountered...probably the most rigid.
__________________
Paul Pinigis

http://www.origamibicycles.com
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 08:29 PM   #17
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhi11 View Post
Ok, so couple of questions. First, Looking at the Crane and Cricket, can they do a more serious bike seat position where you lean down a bit more--kinda like how road bikes tend to position the rider with his back more parallel to the ground. (I know I sound like a total bike newb but kinda am)

Second, How much speed loss am I looking at for having the cricket. With suspension I know there is a tradeoff but with me being a bike newb am I going to notice it enough to care? I'm reconsidering whether I want the crane or cricket based on this a bit.

Third, will I be getting a bike that is comparable to low end Dahons? How does it favor compared to them?
Both the Crane and Cricket are desinged for a more upright riding position and are not speed demons. They are great commuters, travellers, and joy-riders, but they are not intended for the Tour de France.

I will leave the comparison to Dahons to someone less biased.
__________________
Paul Pinigis

http://www.origamibicycles.com
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 08:40 PM   #18
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
The Origami hinge have a large percentage of mating surfaces and tight tollerances. It is one one of the most rigid hinges that I have encountered...probably the most rigid.
How did you verify that the tolerances are tight? If you were to remove the hinge pin and butt the two ends of the frame together there would absolutely be no movement when attempting to twist the front and rear portions of the frame?
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-13, 09:06 PM   #19
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
...mating surfaces... tight tollerances... probably the most rigid...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oohuh.jpg (10.2 KB, 13 views)
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 05:23 AM   #20
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassNotBass View Post
... butt...
^ .
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 07:30 AM   #21
Pinigis 
Senior Member
 
Pinigis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Henrico, VA
Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7
Posts: 672
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassNotBass View Post
How did you verify that the tolerances are tight? If you were to remove the hinge pin and butt the two ends of the frame together there would absolutely be no movement when attempting to twist the front and rear portions of the frame?
No, the hinge was considered as an assembly since it the pin is crucial to its performance.
__________________
Paul Pinigis

http://www.origamibicycles.com
Pinigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 08:34 AM   #22
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
No, the hinge was considered as an assembly since it the pin is crucial to its performance.
So how did you verify that the tolerances are tight?
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 10:00 AM   #23
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
can't wait to see where this is going..
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 11:13 AM   #24
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
can't wait to see where this is going..
I'm merely interested in finding out how the following bolded part was verified:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinigis View Post
The Origami hinge have a large percentage of mating surfaces and tight tollerances. It is one one of the most rigid hinges that I have encountered...probably the most rigid.
Because without tight tolerances the bulk of frame stress will be on the hinge pin assembly instead of the entire hinge interface. Once the pin and hinge bores wear and develop slop, the inability for the rest of the hinge assembly to lock together via mating surfaces will allow the two frame halves to shift and creak... something that appears to be typical of most non-high end aluminum framed FIH folders.

It looks like the manufacturer of the Origami frames recognizes that "fold-in-half" frame hinges are under quite a bit of stress and is trying to build a good reliable hinge. But there can be a huge gap between appearances and functionality and I don't think I'm out of line asking how the quality level of the hinge was verified.
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 11:26 AM   #25
wilfried
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Big City
Bikes: Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20, Citi Bike
Posts: 470
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hey, I just sold one of these for you! Only one other person that I know of rides to work. Earlier this week I saw a BSO Huffy mountain bike parked next to the other bike, and thought, "Hey, someone else!" I eventually figured out who it belongs to, a young woman who comes a fair way, and took it on the train. I mentioned folding bikes (I ride a Brompton, which she well knows). Knowing that she's on a budget, being a young mother and all, and that anything like a Brompton was out of the question, I pointed her to the Origami website (I also mentioned NYCewheels and bfold, but she already knew about them; I suppose their stuff is out of her price range). Her eyes lit up, especially at the price, and just today she told me she ordered a Crane. So, pretty soon I'll get to see one up close; she even had it shipped to work. If nothing else, this will get her off the Huffy.
So when can I expect my commission?
wilfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:05 PM.