Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thorn resistant tires to replace Schwalbe Kojaks but retain performance

    I have a Dahon X27H which is being used in Idaho, in a city that is renowned for a local weed known as a "goathead." I don't live in this town normally, however I have business here and spend about 10 days a month here, and this is where the X27H will be used. There is an extensive asphalt bike path system here, mostly along a river, which is by coincidence a place where these weeds thrive. I've ridden around 70 miles here divided over several days, and already gotten my first weed related flat. This was without once getting off the asphalt path.

    In an earlier thread a couple of months ago, I posed questions about thorn resistant inner tubes and been told that it was the tire that was way more important. Although Schwalbe (and others) make more thorn resistant tires than the Kojak, I don't want to totally destroy the performance features that would make one "invest" in a "racing style" bike like the Dahon X27H, but at the same time, getting flats here is going to be inconsistent with using the bike in the way I'd like to use it.

    Realizing that I may have to sacrifice some performance in the search for more flat-resistance, which are the tires that you would recommend I switch the Kojaks for, to get a good balance of durability and flat resistance, while maintaining at least some performance?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope , you have a trade off.. slick tread retains most..

    Schwalbe has a Marathon Plus .. but they aint gonna be exactly like Kojacks..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-27-13 at 06:59 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you search the forums? As far as I can remember Goatheads is something you fight as a bikerider, folder or not so in your position I would look for advice in any forum:

    http://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=7434945

    Edit: New link, this one should work.
    Last edited by badmother; 04-28-13 at 01:37 PM.
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I found originally:

    "Bike Forums Message

    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

  5. #5
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by champignon View Post
    As I found originally:

    "Bike Forums Message

    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
    The BF "search" is haunted. You may- or may not find what you are looking for .
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bangkok: it's hot
    My Bikes
    2013 Strida 5, 1998 GT Forte Ti, Custom 2010 Volume Thrasher 700c, Custom Dahon Dove 14" (6kg), 2012 WTP Zodiac
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you could try adding those thick plastic tire liners so you can still use Kojaks.
    An MTB forum might be a good source for info.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by champignon View Post
    I have a Dahon X27H which is being used in Idaho, in a city that is renowned for a local weed known as a "goathead." I don't live in this town normally, however I have business here and spend about 10 days a month here, and this is where the X27H will be used. There is an extensive asphalt bike path system here, mostly along a river, which is by coincidence a place where these weeds thrive. I've ridden around 70 miles here divided over several days, and already gotten my first weed related flat. This was without once getting off the asphalt path.

    In an earlier thread a couple of months ago, I posed questions about thorn resistant inner tubes and been told that it was the tire that was way more important. Although Schwalbe (and others) make more thorn resistant tires than the Kojak, I don't want to totally destroy the performance features that would make one "invest" in a "racing style" bike like the Dahon X27H, but at the same time, getting flats here is going to be inconsistent with using the bike in the way I'd like to use it.

    Realizing that I may have to sacrifice some performance in the search for more flat-resistance, which are the tires that you would recommend I switch the Kojaks for, to get a good balance of durability and flat resistance, while maintaining at least some performance?

    Thanks in advance.
    I had good luck so far with both the Big Apple and Marathon Plus tires in Arizona, which is equally infested with those goathead thorns on bike lanes. We were all riding in a 60 people road group and most of them got flats related to goathead except me. But then, it's probably the luck of the draw I suppose. What you need to do every night is to use a thick painting brush and go over the tire once and twice and sweep the thorns off, preferably outside on grass. The thorns attaches to the tires and then when you ride the bike, it pounds them deeper and deeper into the lining and then puncture the tube.
    Trek 5000 carbon road bike
    Masi Speciale CX touring bike
    Dahon Mu SL (performance hybrid road bike)
    Dahon Speed Duo (slow poker shopper or coffee getter bike)

  8. #8
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make up a tire saver: old spoke, bent and some plastic tubing as a spring that fit over it.

    It, dragging over the surface.. Knocks stuff off the tire surface in the 1-st pass ..

    were used when the sew up tires had no Kevlar bands in their treads..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 04-27-13 at 07:00 PM.

  9. #9
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,180
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the years of using a wide variety of Kevlar-belted tyres I have come to the view they are mere placebo designed to part you with your money while offering no real puncture protection in return. I have been using Slime liners with great success; they don't weigh much, cost less than a spare tube, don't have much noticeable effect on rolling resistance and will prevent almost all punctures. Just make very sure the edges are feathered or they will themselves cause punctures.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Over the years of using a wide variety of Kevlar-belted tyres I have come to the view they are mere placebo designed to part you with your money while offering no real puncture protection in return. I have been using Slime liners with great success; they don't weigh much, cost less than a spare tube, don't have much noticeable effect on rolling resistance and will prevent almost all punctures. Just make very sure the edges are feathered or they will themselves cause punctures.
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have been busy tying up loose ends with my real estate investment properties and getting ready for my trip to France (Curve D3 in tow; currently en route) so I haven't been able to even fix the flat yet, and won't be back with the bike again for a month. The idea of cleaning the tires of debris daily sounds like a really good one. As to liners, none of the ones I've seen for sale are narrow enough for the Kojaks on the X27H, which are 1.35" wide not 1.5" or more. Perhaps this doesn't matter. What exactly did you mean by needing to be sure that the edges of the liners are "feathered," and how does one accomplish the "feathering?"

    Thanks.

  11. #11
    Senior Member sk0tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    296
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Over the years of using a wide variety of Kevlar-belted tyres I have come to the view they are mere placebo designed to part you with your money while offering no real puncture protection in return. I have been using Slime liners with great success; they don't weigh much, cost less than a spare tube, don't have much noticeable effect on rolling resistance and will prevent almost all punctures. Just make very sure the edges are feathered or they will themselves cause punctures.
    I agree, I haven't had luck with kevlar belted tyres stopping thorns. Liners and/or thorn resistant tubes help.
    Giant doesn’t honour warranties.

  12. #12
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,180
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get a narrow enough liner for your 1.35" tires, just use a liner meant for road tires and cut to length.

    To feather, means to sand the cut ends so they have a soft tapered edge instead of a square cut edge. The square cut will wear through the inner tube in no time, hence the necessity of sanding those so they lose the square edge. I typically use a belt sander but manual sanding will do as well.

    Slime liners also have a more rounded side edge - I have had problems with Zefal liners which have a very sharp side edge which actually cut through the tyre carcass, ruining it prematurely. MrTuffys I have also seen cause problems with the tyre. Slime is the only one I can recommend.

    Below is a Big Apple which sustained many huge gashes from glass but no punctures. The cuts were through the rubber and casing but all stopped on the Slime liner.

    Last edited by jur; 04-28-13 at 09:42 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one impressively worn tire, hats off

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    96
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto! Thanks!

    I'm in France now. My Curve D3 seems to have survived it's journey, but the suitcase containing it, a TJ Max Nautica special, which was new yesterday, is (maybe) going to make it back to the USA on the return voyage if I buttress it with 26 meters of duct tape.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •