Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ciwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Brompton Front Axle Nut came off

    Hi Guys

    One of the axle nuts on my front wheel has come off. I want to buy a collection of them for future need too. So I thought they'll be like £5 for a 100 or so, but it turns out they are crazy expensive for what they are!! To be fair, this does come with other bits and pieces that I do not need.

    All I want is some nuts of the correct size. Does anyone know where I can get some that will fit?

    Thank You.

  2. #2
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try your nearest bikeshop? This should be standard bike nuts, not something special for Brompton. With such items it is the labour that is costing, not the nut its self.
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  3. #3
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciwan View Post
    Hi Guys

    One of the axle nuts on my front wheel has come off. I want to buy a collection of them for future need too. So I thought they'll be like £5 for a 100 or so, but it turns out they are crazy expensive for what they are!! To be fair, this does come with other bits and pieces that I do not need.

    All I want is some nuts of the correct size. Does anyone know where I can get some that will fit?

    Thank You.
    £2.75 for the kit does not look too bad. They should not come off so I don't think you need a collection of them.

    BTW, did you notice anything while riding with loose nuts? Looks like the holders did very good job. People often complain about those 'lawyer lips'.
    Happier than a camel on wednesday.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ciwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what you mean by the holders, I'm not very good with bike terminology But I only noticed that the damn thing was missing today, so I've no idea how long I've been riding without one of the nuts.

    I'm guessing a week though, because it has been a week that my front wheel (when un-folding) has been making a noise as it touched the ground.

    I'm also thinking of replacing my chain, but have no clue which to get, apparently there are many different types I have 6 speed Brompton 2011, but even then, there are 2 to 3 options according to this Brompton page.

  5. #5
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some nuts for you.

    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find...%20nuts&page=1

    .. and Iwould not call those lawyers lips..
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciwan View Post
    ... I only noticed that the damn thing was missing today, so I've no idea how long I've been riding without one of the nuts.

    I'm guessing a week though,[/URL].

    Sounds like monkey business to me

    Ever thought of getting one of those quick release skewers that fasten with an allen key?

    3 GBP for a set of two complete fastenings doesn't sound unreasonable though.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Ciwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know the quick release ones existed for the Brompton! Can you link me please?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciwan View Post
    I didn't know the quick release ones existed for the Brompton! Can you link me please?
    I ordered this one recently: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schmidt-a...ubs-prod19064/

  9. #9
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Shumaker View Post
    That one is not for a regular Brompton wheel Elvis!

    Edit: This is a regular wheel http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/16-x-1-3-...fwss-prod3019/
    and you need regular nuts (like you bought for your Shimano hub) for this.

    what you linked to is a quick release skewer for one of the duno hub wheels for B.
    Last edited by badmother; 06-11-13 at 01:33 PM.
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe others can clarify. I'd be surprised if it didn't fit a regular Brompton hub. Are they that exotic?

    As you know mine lives in a 74mm Dahon hub, in a Bickerton fork...

  11. #11
    Senior Member Ciwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't risk it if it wasn't for a Brompton. I HATE buying stuff, and returning them when they don't fit. The stress and disappointment kills me

  12. #12
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Shumaker View Post
    Maybe others can clarify. I'd be surprised if it didn't fit a regular Brompton hub. Are they that exotic?

    As you know mine lives in a 74mm Dahon hub, in a Bickerton fork...
    I edited, read my post again. The difference is a hollow axel hub or a solid axel hub with nuts.
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I thought the hub shell was always the same, just the innards different. I almost killed poor Ciwan. So much to learn...

    With the nuts themselves it's a nuisance that nobody seems to publish the specification. I know the original Bickerton nuts were smaller than on other bikes, needed a 14mm spanner too - hopefully not the same on the Brompton.

  14. #14
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    582
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know the quick release ones existed for the Brompton! Can you link me please?
    a shorter allen bolt skewer.
    its used in the super light wheel http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-...ngs-prod22331/

    and for the hub dynamo ,
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/16-(349)-...son-prod22349/

    both are hollow axles.

    standard one is solid.

    SJS is a good go-to for Brompton bits in UK & world wide
    C.M.Wasson http://foldabikes.com/ has been selling Bromptons the longest in the US..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 06-11-13 at 04:20 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Shumaker View Post
    Ah, I thought the hub shell was always the same, just the innards different. I almost killed poor Ciwan. So much to learn...

    With the nuts themselves it's a nuisance that nobody seems to publish the specification. I know the original Bickerton nuts were smaller than on other bikes, needed a 14mm spanner too - hopefully not the same on the Brompton.
    We need to be careful with the fragile ones you know .
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  16. #16
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,711
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badmother View Post
    We need to be careful with the fragile ones you know .

    indeed..

    blackadder3_1.jpg

  17. #17
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Shumaker View Post
    ... With the nuts themselves it's a nuisance that nobody seems to publish the specification. I know the original Bickerton nuts were smaller than on other bikes, needed a 14mm spanner too - hopefully not the same on the Brompton.
    Surely Brompton isn't so traditionally English that they use metric threads instead of BA.
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  18. #18
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    582
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Company responds to Emails have you thought for a moment of asking Directly?

    they will get back to you in a few days..

  19. #19
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    aint that a standard axle nut ..available in every bike store ? Just asking .... having a couple Brommy guys breathing down my neck about all those propriarity parts on Dahons ......

    thor

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5/16 x 26tpi unless anyone proves me wrong...

  21. #21
    Senior Member kamtsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    aint that a standard axle nut ..available in every bike store ? Just asking .... having a couple Brommy guys breathing down my neck about all those propriarity parts on Dahons ......

    thor
    The hardware store nuts don't have a 'B' stamped on them.

    Seriously, the complaints are about Dahon's spare parts availability, not about the usage of proprietary parts.
    Happier than a camel on wednesday.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •