Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-13, 05:37 PM   #1
mainstreetexile
rain dog
Thread Starter
 
mainstreetexile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 791
Brompton maximum saddle height?

I'm trying to figure out whether I'd need the Brompton telescopic seatpost or whether I could get away with the lighter and cheaper standard one.

Can any brompton owners out there with the standard seatpost measure the maximum saddle height with the seatpost fully extended?

This would be measured along the seat tube, from a pedal when it is farthest from the saddle, to the top of the saddle. I've seen conflicting various conflicting measurements online, so if possible please let me know if your measurement is with the saddle rails at the bottom or top of the pentaclip.



Much thanks for any assistance!
mainstreetexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 05:05 AM   #2
guna
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden
Bikes: Brompton
Posts: 2
Max seat height, as per "Figure 1", with standard seatpost = 89 cm. Extended (not telescopic) seatpost + 6 cm.
guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 09:48 AM   #3
mainstreetexile
rain dog
Thread Starter
 
mainstreetexile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 791
guna: Thank you for measuring!

Is that with the saddle rails at the bottom of the pentaclip, like in this picture?

mainstreetexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 03:50 PM   #4
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,985
Too lazy to pull mine out and measure,but I have a 33" inseam and have the extended(not telescopic) seatpost. Think there's like an inch left when it's set for me.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-13, 04:32 PM   #5
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
Too lazy to pull mine out and measure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackadder3_1.jpg (14.0 KB, 9 views)
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 02:40 AM   #6
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
I think you need to go for a long walk..


To the OP: Different saddle different height. A sprung Brooks is sitting much higher than the sewn Brompton saddle.

If you worry about weight you could get a extended Ti post.

The advange of the telescopic over the extended seatpost is that it is easy to pull the top part plus saddle out, both if you need a really small fold plus to avoid theft. It all depends.

I started with a standard seatpost and just about made it with a sprung Brooks on it. Went to a telescopic for the reasons I mentioned plus that I wanted riders taller than me to be able to ride my bike without any problems.

Last edited by badmother; 06-26-13 at 02:49 AM.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-13, 02:20 PM   #7
mainstreetexile
rain dog
Thread Starter
 
mainstreetexile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
To the OP: Different saddle different height. A sprung Brooks is sitting much higher than the sewn Brompton saddle.

If you worry about weight you could get a extended Ti post.

The advange of the telescopic over the extended seatpost is that it is easy to pull the top part plus saddle out, both if you need a really small fold plus to avoid theft. It all depends.

I started with a standard seatpost and just about made it with a sprung Brooks on it. Went to a telescopic for the reasons I mentioned plus that I wanted riders taller than me to be able to ride my bike without any problems.
Thanks for the reply. I have a Brooks Flyer sprung saddle I figured I could use to boost the height if necessary, but if I use that and the top position of the pentaclip, it'll probably still be sticking up pretty high when the seatpost is all the way down.

I didn't think they were making the Ti posts anymore? I was thinking of using the standard post to save both weight and money, but I guess I may just spring for the telescopic one.

Has anyone here ever tried building their own telescopic post? It sounds pretty easy and would be cheaper than the $60 telescopic upgrade, while also probably being lighter if you used an alloy internal post (with the added benefit for me of a standard saddle clamp):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smallwh...ty/4052838434/



- Chopped the top off the standard size Brompton steel seatpost.
- Cut a thin vertical section, about 1.5" from the top.
- Inserted a 29.8 to 27.2 shim.
- Fitted 31.8 quick release clamp.

- Slid in Campagnolo C-Record aero post with Brooks Swift titanium saddle atop.


That C-Record post looks great, but I would probably just be using a cheaper kalloy internal post.
mainstreetexile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 07:04 AM   #8
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 2,773
I got a koga folding bike telescopic post from ebay to convert a mezzo in to a suspension seat post. Works well. I just change the insert. They did come
in several diameters and were cheap but good quality
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-13, 10:42 PM   #9
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,087
Overall ,standard Post =525mm, The extended post has 6cm more length,
the telescoping post is Much longer..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-27-13 at 10:50 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 05:15 PM   #10
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
Too lazy to pull mine out and measure,but I have a 33" inseam and have the extended(not telescopic) seatpost. Think there's like an inch left when it's set for me.
Had to move some stuff around for the painters,so checked my Brommie. I've got about 1.5" of seatpost left,and the Pentaclip is all the way down.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X

Last edited by dynaryder; 06-29-13 at 03:08 PM.
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-13, 05:26 AM   #11
guna
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sweden
Bikes: Brompton
Posts: 2
@mainstreetexile: the measurement of max saddle height with the standard seatpost was done in the shop when I took delivery - I didnīt notice the orientation of the pentaclip then, so I donīt know. But I needed more than 89 cm (91 cm works fine). They switched to the extended seatpost and now the saddle rails are at the bottom of the pentaclip, as in your photo above.

Last edited by guna; 06-29-13 at 05:29 AM.
guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-13, 07:49 AM   #12
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have a Brooks Flyer sprung saddle I figured I could use to boost the height if necessary, but if I use that and the top position of the pentaclip, it'll probably still be sticking up pretty high when the seatpost is all the way down.

I didn't think they were making the Ti posts anymore? I was thinking of using the standard post to save both weight and money, but I guess I may just spring for the telescopic one.

Has anyone here ever tried building their own telescopic post? It sounds pretty easy and would be cheaper than the $60 telescopic upgrade, while also probably being lighter if you used an alloy internal post (with the added benefit for me of a standard saddle clamp):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smallwh...ty/4052838434/



- Chopped the top off the standard size Brompton steel seatpost.
- Cut a thin vertical section, about 1.5" from the top.
- Inserted a 29.8 to 27.2 shim.
- Fitted 31.8 quick release clamp.

- Slid in Campagnolo C-Record aero post with Brooks Swift titanium saddle atop.


That C-Record post looks great, but I would probably just be using a cheaper kalloy internal post.
Sorry for the late reply.

I did the same as you see on that picture (but with cheaper seatposts). Did it with both mine and my sons seatposts, wanted both of us to be able to use both bikes if we need to swap. Also like the theft deterrent effect of removing the top of the post plus saddle (and also detatchable pedals) plus the smaller fold that you get with the telescopic solution.

I asked around and was warned that the standard seatpost was weaker than the longer ones and not strong enough to take the extra strainn of being extended. No problems so far. I did it becouse the standard ones was too short and I wanted to see If I liked the telescopic solution before buying one. Then the alu telescopic one disappeared so now I am mourning over the loss of that oportunity and therefor for paralysed .

I`ll keep the homemade solution for now but I am also thinking of buying a Ti one for lighter weight http://www.brompfication.com/

The weight thing is something each person need to solve. You may want to spend money on Ti bits and pieces (including frame parts) or you could add a rack (add weight) so rolling the bike folded is easyer and you do not have to carry it much. I am thinking of lightening my bike (or get one more) to travel more with it in the future.

Just bought a NOS M stem for my bike and realised that there is some weight to be saved there, eight hundred and fifty something grams that thing is. Anybody know of a Ti solution for stem?
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-13, 11:20 AM   #13
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,087
They did say extended post is 30% thicker tube wall than standard post..

IDK what the diff is in the Ti seat posts.. [At 10x the price]
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:28 AM.