Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 638

Thread: Bikes we like

  1. #76
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiamonDog View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread and displaying so many interesting bikes. I have been working my way through the thread slowly, so that I can savor each of the offerings.
    thanks, DDD. i'm a fanatic and spend at least an hour every night looking at bike designs so, i thought it made sense to share it with the forum.

  2. #77
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    btw, check this out:

    at first glance it looks like a dahon dove.



    the mono fork and mono rear triangle enable a super compact fold.



    external cogs and derailleur moved to the inside. 7, 8, 10, 12T four speed with 52t chainring.. wow... i've never seen anything like that..



    these vids are funny and charming. the bike has some issues. but, i think it's under development. currently it weighs 11kg. not bad, but i think it could be reduced further. im willing to bet that the fork is high tensile steel. could be sleeker and fab'ed from cromo. also, the seatpost is too short even for the guy riding it in the video. needs to be 600mm althought that will affect the compactness of the folded package. the post diameter is 31.6mm. a 600mm brompton cromo post could be used.. nonetheless, a very cool project.



    the mono fork and rear make tire changes super simple:



    fun for the whole family and all the bikes fit in the boot no problem:


  3. #78
    Senior Member darukhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago-land
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    5links 16".
    I'm absolutely drooling over this CNC'ed 60t chainring with built guard! DO WANT!!

    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post

    external cogs and derailleur moved to the inside. 7, 8, 10, 12T four speed with 52t chainring.. wow... i've never seen anything like that..

    Wow is right! Very, very clever.. using an older style derailleur mech on the inside with 7, 8, 10 and 12 tooth cogs!? ...7, 8, 10 and 12 tooth!!! Brilliant!

    With the super short wheel base, I bet this thing is a wheelie machine!

  4. #79
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darukhan;15964756Wow is right! Very, very clever.. using an older style derailleur mech on the inside with 7, 8, 10 and 12 tooth cogs!? [I
    ...7, 8, 10 and 12 tooth!!![/I] Brilliant!
    With the super short wheel base, I bet this thing is a wheelie machine!
    i don't think you'll do unintentional wheelies. i've ridden a dahon dove and it seems like a very similar riding posture. i'm 183cm, so i'm obliged to lean forward a bit, maybe that's why i don't wheelie.

    7, 8 10, and 12T with 52t chainwheel on 14" wheels

    gear inches: 104 - 60..

    lovin it.

  5. #80
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can't beleive no one else has commented on this?!:


  6. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    smallwheeler - Do you know of any mini velo bikes that would not be too difficult to get ahold of in the US that can take a wide tire? It seems like the fork limits tire size on many of these. I am toying with putting together an electric bike that can take on Seattle hills. I like the torque of the smaller 20" wheels when assist is applied, not really concerned w/ top speed, steel frame highly preferred, as is ability to mount disc brakes. I have considered converting a bmx but am worried that simply getting a longer seat post will still leave compromises in comfort. I like the riding position of the mini velo and the space within the frame to mount a battery on the down tube. Thanks!

  7. #82
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  8. #83
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,121
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DDD wanted discs.

    Only one that's easy to find(relatively speaking) in the US is the Cannondale Hooligan. They had an 8spd derailleur model,but most of them(including current model) are 3spd IGH. The rear spacing is 135 though,so you could always upgrade to an 8/11/whatever speed hub.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  9. #84
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry i missed that bit about disc brakes. you could always get adaptors if discs are really a must.

    but, fo' sho' the hooligan is a cool bike!


  10. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks smallwheeler and dynaryder those are some cool bikes.

    I know that that smallwheeler showed some other bikes earlier in the thread that looked like good possibilities, I just need to go back and take another look. I recall a dutch bike, I believe, that looked intriguing and a couple of others.

    The reason for the disk brakes is that I am thinking of using a hub motor. Maybe I am optimistic about the longevity of the bike but my concern with rim brakes is having to replace the rims as they wear down. Steel is required, perhaps not for the whole bike, but for the fork, if a front hub motor is mounted, as aluminum fatigue can lead to catastrophe. Interestingly, I believe the Hooligan has an aluminum frame, but has a steel fork, so that is good.

    I see that it is possible to purchase a Respect frame/fork and I like the Respect pricing relative to some others. Perhaps i could get them to put a disc brake mount on at least the front, where the hub motor would be, for a an extra charge - I am in no hurry. But an adaptor could be the answer and help keep the price down.

    Ideally it would be nice to mount fenders (Seattle), and not cost too much (wife).

    I saw an interesting Spanish bike - Rabasa, I believe. Steel but no disc. I'll be in Spain in a month and who knows, maybe I'll go take a look.

    To all others - sorry to get way off the topic of folding bikes. i know that there is a part of the forum devoted to electric bikes but electric bikes with 20" wheels are not in vogue there and this thread is running gallery of beautiful small wheelers.

  11. #86
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    ... but, fo' sho' the hooligan is a cool bike!
    ...
    The Hooligan is easily my favorite of the "mini-velo" offerings.
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  12. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Bangkok: it's hot
    My Bikes
    2013 Strida 5, 1998 GT Forte Ti, Custom 2010 Volume Thrasher 700c, Custom Dahon Dove 14" (6kg), 2012 WTP Zodiac
    Posts
    304
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome info.
    This bike is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.
    Sure discs and single sided wheels are nothing new but the reversed drivetrain!
    If this was applied to a 700C bike, you could run a 29t front and 7t rear and you would still get ~111 gear inches like a 12/50T gets you.
    A relatively small plastic cover could enclose the drivetrain.
    I also think the entire bike might be able to be made more narrow and lighter since the axles are shorter.
    The aero and weight advantages could change the road cycling game (if the UCI never existed).
    I also love how easy it is to remove the whole chain and clean it.

  13. #88
    Senior Member darukhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago-land
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiamonDog View Post
    The reason for the disk brakes is that I am thinking of using a hub motor. Maybe I am optimistic about the longevity of the bike but my concern with rim brakes is having to replace the rims as they wear down. Steel is required, perhaps not for the whole bike, but for the fork, if a front hub motor is mounted, as aluminum fatigue can lead to catastrophe. Interestingly, I believe the Hooligan has an aluminum frame, but has a steel fork, so that is good.
    One potential problem with choosing the Hooligan is the single sided fork. Would you be able to (safely) mount an electric hub motor to a single sided fork without major modification?

  14. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    375
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darukhan View Post
    One potential problem with choosing the Hooligan is the single sided fork. Would you be able to (safely) mount an electric hub motor to a single sided fork without major modification?
    I don't think so. The Hooligan would be an amazing option, but I think the one sided fork rules it out for a front hub motor.

    Giving up the disc brake would not be the end of the world but it would mean having the hub motor laced into a new rim if/when the original one wore down, and disc braking would be nice in the rain.

  15. #90
    Idealistic Troublemaker bjorke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area + Surrounding Planet
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hooligan is a cool design to be sure -- though after riding 451 tires a lot (esp on the Soma above -- I swapped-out the originals for higher-pressure Durano's), it's hard to ride any bike with 406's (e.g., the Nano).

    Another great one from Bangkok, a Dex with a Sturmey-Archer Kickshift:

    Dex.jpg
    My Cycling Log: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/202754 BikeForums Cycling Team on Endomondo: http://www.endomondo.com/teams/1747411

  16. #91
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,121
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    you could always get adaptors if discs are really a must.
    I've never seen a disc adapter that I'd trust. I highly recommend using only forks and frames made for discs,or at the very least having a professional frame builder do the mod.

    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiamonDog View Post
    I don't think so. The Hooligan would be an amazing option, but I think the one sided fork rules it out for a front hub motor.
    They came in both single and double sided forks(I have one of each). The framesets do occasionally pop up on eBay.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  17. #92
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    The Hooligan is a cool design to be sure -- though after riding 451 tires a lot (esp on the Soma above -- I swapped-out the originals for higher-pressure Durano's), it's hard to ride any bike with 406's (e.g., the Nano).

    Another great one from Bangkok, a Dex with a Sturmey-Archer Kickshift:

    Dex.jpg
    gotta get to thailand, "land of smile"... i will definitely be smiling if i am riding one of these..

  18. #93
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ttakata73 View Post
    Awesome info.
    This bike is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.
    Sure discs and single sided wheels are nothing new but the reversed drivetrain!
    If this was applied to a 700C bike, you could run a 29t front and 7t rear and you would still get ~111 gear inches like a 12/50T gets you.
    A relatively small plastic cover could enclose the drivetrain.
    I also think the entire bike might be able to be made more narrow and lighter since the axles are shorter.
    The aero and weight advantages could change the road cycling game (if the UCI never existed).
    I also love how easy it is to remove the whole chain and clean it.
    are you referring to the 14" wheel bike? if so.. i agreeee!

  19. #94
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my...





    Last edited by smallwheeler; 08-22-13 at 09:43 PM.

  20. #95
    Idealistic Troublemaker bjorke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area + Surrounding Planet
    My Bikes
    Bike Friday, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, never heard of the Moulton Mini! Quite lovely -- good luck finding one though. http://www.flickr.com/groups/moulton...icycle_photos/
    My Cycling Log: http://www.endomondo.com/profile/202754 BikeForums Cycling Team on Endomondo: http://www.endomondo.com/teams/1747411

  21. #96
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Wow, never heard of the Moulton Mini! Quite lovely -- good luck finding one though. http://www.flickr.com/groups/moulton...icycle_photos/
    the remarkable thing about the above mini are the mods done by steve parry to convert the machine into a folding bike.
    here is what it would have originally looked like (this one just sold on ebay for 750):


  22. #97
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    2,432
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder if SP jumped on the leftover hinge plates when Brompton changed their sources to the current ones ..

  23. #98
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Wonder if SP jumped on the leftover hinge plates when Brompton changed their sources to the current ones ..
    ha! i thought the same thing.. he probably has a whole box full of them laying around...

  24. #99
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YS-11:

    this bike is interesting for a few reasons. at first glance it looks much like other small wheel cheapie bikes. on closer inspection it has some noteworthy characteristics. hard anodized aircraft aluminum frame. brompton handlebar stem and hinge tech. you can see for yourself..



    excellent hinge design ( a la brompton):



    a non-folding version re-branded:



    YS-33:


    front and rear suspension:

    Last edited by smallwheeler; 08-25-13 at 12:10 PM.

  25. #100
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,733
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kuwahara gaap (wow..):


    Last edited by smallwheeler; 08-24-13 at 07:03 PM.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •