Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-13, 10:42 PM   #1
kabex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kabex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Dahon Mu Uno Gates CenterTrack WeightWeenie Conversion?

Hi all

I've been meaning to get a folder for quite a while now, I'm currently riding a Trek District Belt-Drive, and I LOVE it.

I can't go back to a chain, ever. I thought about getting a folder with some decent upgradeability and I just read a thread about a guy here who converted a Mu Uno to a 2-speed belt driven bike. It was AWESOME.

I got an idea, is it possible with the new CenterTrack technology to keep the stock wheels and go down to a 19 tooth and make it a rideable gearing? The new CenterTrack thing allows for a lower 19 tooth cog instead of 22 like the previous one(at least that's what I think):


Here's their gear inches calculator (60 tooth front, 19 tooth rear, 20" wheels)


With that gearing you get 22-25kph @80-90rpm, pretty decent. I don't need more than that.

Another thing is that I'd want to get some Kinetix wheels (1000g for the set) + light seat post/saddle and maybe some light bars.

I think it'd be possible to bring it down to 8kg or lower easy (10kg stock minus 2kg+ for some kojaks, kinetics, lighter seatpost and saddle).

Can I use the 19 tooth centertrack cog on these wheels?
http://www.premiumbikegear.com/speci...ear-wheel.html

I'd want to do the belt drive conversion first then go for the lighter parts of course. A cool idea would be the Sram Automatix Coaster Brake hub with no brakes(although it weighs some 1.1kg, so a bit of a weight penalty).


What do you guys think?
kabex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 11:33 AM   #2
sreten
Banned.
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brighton UK
Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike
Posts: 1,664
Hi,

Go on diet and lose 2Kg, its a lot cheaper.

Never ride without a good front brake.

rgds, sreten.
sreten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 12:35 PM   #3
BruceMetras
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Rafael, California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabex View Post
Hi all

I got an idea, is it possible with the new CenterTrack technology to keep the stock wheels and go down to a 19 tooth and make it a rideable gearing? The new CenterTrack thing allows for a lower 19 tooth cog instead of 22 like the previous one(at least that's what I think):
I think you'll want to revisit what's available... that 19t CenterTrack cog you reference fits a Rohloff hub .. cogs you need would be those designed for the Alfine (24t availability). which are 3 dog to fit Sram/Sachs/Shimano/Sturmey IGH and single speed..




Quote:
Originally Posted by kabex View Post
Another thing is that I'd want to get some Kinetix wheels (1000g for the set) + light seat post/saddle and maybe some light bars.
The Kinetix wheels (130mm rear spacing) won't work in the Uno (120mm rear spacing).. whatever hub you use will need to fit 120mm rear spacing.





Quote:
Originally Posted by kabex View Post

Can I use the 19 tooth centertrack cog on these wheels?
http://www.premiumbikegear.com/speci...ear-wheel.html
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabex View Post

I'd want to do the belt drive conversion first then go for the lighter parts of course. A cool idea would be the Sram Automatix Coaster Brake hub with no brakes(although it weighs some 1.1kg, so a bit of a weight penalty).
The SRAM Automatix is a great choice (as would be it's predecessor the Sachs Duomatic/Automatic) .. I run both on a couple of bikes .. and as mentioned by another poster, you'd want to have a front brake in addition to a coaster brake..

Bruce
BruceMetras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 05:12 PM   #4
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
and as mentioned by another poster, you'd want to have a front brake in addition to a coaster brake..
+2
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 05:56 PM   #5
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,086
You Show a Rohloff Cog ..

R'off cog FYI, threads on it's a M34x6 * on inside it has a surface that an oil seal contacts,

Different, i suspect, than the typical hub thread.. ( their fixie cog is a 21t)

you might be able to fake it with the Shimano cog version .on one of Bromptons .
they use that spline type now.. on their single /2 cog free-hubs.. 28 spoke..
[those wheels that you linked to.. all have a wider freehub driver than you really need..]

They show a 20t in 9 spline type..
By the way got the tensioning the belt method, sorted out in your plans?

need 2 brakes if its not the fixie. . then you could get away with just the front..

http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/pr.../cdxsprockets/

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-03-13 at 06:23 PM.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-13, 11:51 AM   #6
kabex
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kabex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Mexico
Bikes:
Posts: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
You Show a Rohloff Cog ..

R'off cog FYI, threads on it's a M34x6 * on inside it has a surface that an oil seal contacts,

Different, i suspect, than the typical hub thread.. ( their fixie cog is a 21t)

you might be able to fake it with the Shimano cog version .on one of Bromptons .
they use that spline type now.. on their single /2 cog free-hubs.. 28 spoke..
[those wheels that you linked to.. all have a wider freehub driver than you really need..]

They show a 20t in 9 spline type..
By the way got the tensioning the belt method, sorted out in your plans?

need 2 brakes if its not the fixie. . then you could get away with just the front..

http://www.carbondrivesystems.com/pr.../cdxsprockets/
So a 20 tooth is an option then?

Hmmm, as for the rear wheel too bad. I could buy just the front.

Still, I think it's pretty easy to get it to 8kg.

The belt drive saves 200 grams over a chain, and the aforementioned cog is 58 grams vs something like 150 for a SS cog.

Even without the SRAM Automatix, a 60-20 ratio would give us 60 gear inches, which I think is pretty decent for a short distance city only folder bike.

10kg stock + light front wheel, belt drive, lighter tyres & seatpost+saddle would save us a bit over 1.5kg
kabex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.