Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano Nexus - 7 lock ring do not comes off

    Iím trying to change the sprocket for the second time on my Shimano Nexus Inter 7 SG 7C-18 hub and the lock ring do not comes off like it should (like on that video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-3PfboKTw from ~40s on).

    If anybody encountered similar problem please report.

  2. #2
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xRus View Post
    I’m trying to change the sprocket for the second time on my Shimano Nexus Inter 7 SG 7C-18 hub and the lock ring do not comes off like it should (like on that video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz-3PfboKTw from ~40s on).

    If anybody encountered similar problem please report.
    The right tool is the key. A small, flat bladed screwdriver works best, and you only need one.
    This video shows cog removal from a Sturmey Archer hub, but the process is the same for Shimano.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5EU0U-6FXg
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope I stalled much earlier even before removing shifter. I have a problem with a plastic lock ring that locks the shifter, not a cog. Do not have any problem with a cog removal.

  4. #4
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,842
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xRus View Post
    Nope I stalled much earlier even before removing shifter. I have a problem with a plastic lock ring that locks the shifter, not a cog. Do not have any problem with a cog removal.
    Oh, I see. You're talking about the cassette joint lock tab. First off, I've never seen a plastic one, always metal in my experience. I've never had a problem removing those. Just twist counter clockwise until the yellow dots align, and lift straight off.
    If it's stuck, maybe it needs a little mechanical encouragement, but I have never encountered that problem.
    Gearhubs demystified and other cool stuff.


    Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart View Post
    Oh, I see. You're talking about the cassette joint lock tab. First off, I've never seen a plastic one, always metal in my experience. I've never had a problem removing those. Just twist counter clockwise until the yellow dots align, and lift straight off.
    If it's stuck, maybe it needs a little mechanical encouragement, but I have never encountered that problem.

    Yes, like on the video. I turn the lock counter clockwise, the yellow dots align, but still unable remove it. May be I will remove it forcefully but in that case will need to find replacement.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •