Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Sturmey Archer

  1. #1
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Sturmey Archer

    Looking around at some web sites this morning and I came across the site for Sturmey Archer. Man did that bring back memories to my childhood. One thing I do remember is that the three speed hub was like a tank. Never in all the years growing up did I have a problem. I'll never forget my old three speed Raleigh that I had for years. I must have road that thing everywhere, and like I mentioned, never a problem. Are any of you guys using a three speed Sturmey Archer hub on your folding bike? I'm sure it would be somewhat expensive to swap out.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many new folders and other full sized bikes still use three speed Sturmey Archer hubs and other flavours but obviously no longer made in England since they have long since sold out and are being made new over seas.

    http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3.html



    S-RF3.jpg


    Many of the original three speed units are still in active service, being bomb proof as you say.

    These sites are good for a trip down memory lane

    http://www.bicyclehub.co.uk/index.ph...=43&Itemid=106

    http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/



    Jerry
    Last edited by jerrysimon; 07-19-13 at 12:26 PM.
    Brompton M2L (SRAM A2), Brompton M2L(X), Dahon Uno (SRAM A2), Both Swift Xootr & Moulton TSR2 now gone

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Big City
    My Bikes
    Brompton M3L, Tern Verge P20
    Posts
    268
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I do, comes standard on a Brompton. I've had the indicator chain go out of adjustment, causing gear slippage, but it's an easy fix. Other than that, no problems.

    I've read that SA's quality had really slipped by the end in Nottingham, and that their new Asian owners are doing better. Is there truth to that?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilfried View Post
    Yup, I do, comes standard on a Brompton. I've had the indicator chain go out of adjustment, causing gear slippage, but it's an easy fix. Other than that, no problems.

    I've read that SA's quality had really slipped by the end in Nottingham, and that their new Asian owners are doing better. Is there truth to that?
    I wonder what the quality issue was all about before they started making them in Asia. At least they are still being made and the quality has picked back up again.

    Cheers
    Wayne

  5. #5
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimon View Post
    Many new folders and other full sized bikes still use three speed Sturmey Archer hubs and other flavours but obviously no longer made in England since they have long since sold out and are being made new over seas.

    http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3.html



    S-RF3.jpg


    Many of the original three speed units are still in active service, being bomb proof as you say.

    These sites are good for a trip down memory lane

    http://www.bicyclehub.co.uk/index.ph...=43&Itemid=106

    http://hubstripping.wordpress.com/



    Jerry
    Thanks for the links. Will read into them more thoroughly. I liked the part where they mentioned that the older ones made during the war would work as good as new when cleaned up. Man that says alot about the quality of the hubs. Like I mentioned, I rode my bike everywhere with no problems, and as kids years ago, we were always on our bikes if we weren't playing ball.

    Cheers
    Wayne

  6. #6
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few bikes with old AW3 hubs that are bomb proof despite being almost 60 years old. Over the years I've had bikes with the later S3C (coaster brake) and they weren't as reliable... not bad but not up to AW snuff.

    There are several members here who run old SA hubs on their folders.
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  7. #7
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 30+ bikes around 20 of those are running some version of Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hubs. I have AG, AW, S3C, TCW, FG, and FW. The F series hubs are 4 speeds, I have one that has been converted to a 5 speed. The bikes range from 349 wheeled Dahons all the way up to 635 Raleigh Roadster. My most used hub is on a 1971 Raleigh Sports Standard it is an AW and has some where well over 35,000 miles on it with minimal maintenance, it is still ticking along today. I also have several Nexus hubs, but have found the venerable AW much easier to work on as well as to source parts for.

    As far as quality of the old hubs versus the new Taiwan built ones... new ones are very nice and are built to very good tolerances. The last of the hubs to come out of Nottingham were getting pretty sloppy but they were being built on equipment that was pushing 75 years old and should have been replaced 30 years earlier. I have had basically no issues with any of my AW hubs, I wish I could say the same with my Shimano Nexus/Alfine hubs.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  8. #8
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
    I have 30+ bikes around 20 of those are running some version of Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hubs. I have AG, AW, S3C, TCW, FG, and FW. The F series hubs are 4 speeds, I have one that has been converted to a 5 speed. The bikes range from 349 wheeled Dahons all the way up to 635 Raleigh Roadster. My most used hub is on a 1971 Raleigh Sports Standard it is an AW and has some where well over 35,000 miles on it with minimal maintenance, it is still ticking along today. I also have several Nexus hubs, but have found the venerable AW much easier to work on as well as to source parts for.

    As far as quality of the old hubs versus the new Taiwan built ones... new ones are very nice and are built to very good tolerances. The last of the hubs to come out of Nottingham were getting pretty sloppy but they were being built on equipment that was pushing 75 years old and should have been replaced 30 years earlier. I have had basically no issues with any of my AW hubs, I wish I could say the same with my Shimano Nexus/Alfine hubs.

    Aaron
    Wow, that's quite a collection you have. To have over 35,000 miles on one is amazing. It just tells you how strong and reliable they are.

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,164
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brompton, 2 of them 1 with AW3 from 94, Bought,... fixed things then sold,.. after I got a newer BSR ,
    in the newer Mk 4 M3L bike.

    Hilly location, so I added a 2 speed Crank, planetary as well , so chain still doesn't shift off cog or chainring.. .

    in its low range, I have 3 more gears, out of another run through of the same hub (now, 6 speed, drive train) ...

    It works well .

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden the Sturmey Archer AW3, Sram Spectro 3 and Shimano 3 speed. I happen to think the Sturmey was great and it's even better now that Sun Race resolved the neutural transmission problem of old. The Sram Spectro 3 had a coaster brake and resulted in too much speed being scrubbed off. The Shimano Nexus 3 speed is just as good as the Sturmey Archer of old. Maybe Sram fixed the problem today but I'm sad to see they dropped the 5 and 7 speed hubs.

  11. #11
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    ... The Shimano Nexus 3 speed is just as good as the Sturmey Archer of old...
    Hahaha... only time will tell.
    Last edited by BassNotBass; 07-21-13 at 06:04 PM.
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  12. #12
    Senior Member wahoonc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    On the road-USA
    My Bikes
    Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
    Posts
    16,305
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    I've ridden the Sturmey Archer AW3, Sram Spectro 3 and Shimano 3 speed. I happen to think the Sturmey was great and it's even better now that Sun Race resolved the neutural transmission problem of old. The Sram Spectro 3 had a coaster brake and resulted in too much speed being scrubbed off. The Shimano Nexus 3 speed is just as good as the Sturmey Archer of old. Maybe Sram fixed the problem today but I'm sad to see they dropped the 5 and 7 speed hubs.
    Sturmey Archer had already solved the NIG issue, they just didn't put it into production. It was in production in 1984 for Columbia.

    Aaron
    Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

    ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

    "Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
    RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
    _Nicodemus

    "Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred
    Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
    _krazygluon

  13. #13
    Senior Member social suicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marquette
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several bikes with the AW hub including a 1954 Schwinn Corvette. I'm riding the SA XRF-8W on my R20 with no problems after 1900 miles. Noisy, heavy, cheap. Got going 33mph on a long 3% down today trying to outrun a thunderstorm. It works good when its wet too.

  14. #14
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by social suicide View Post
    ... I'm riding the SA XRF-8W on my R20 with no problems after 1900 miles...
    That's good to know since I'm still leery of those +3 hubs.
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  15. #15
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    20,761
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have two or three bikes with AW hubs on them. The design is almost 100 years old and hasn't needed much improvement in all those years. It really is one of the best inventions for a bike, ever. The gears are far apart, though, which is why I don't ride it much.

    I have a 1973 Raleigh Twenty with the original AW hub. I also built a new front wheel for it with a new Sturmey Archer drum brake hub. It is excellent. It was my solution to the fact that the original brakes on the bike were inexcusably bad. This hub brake is more than adequate, and it will never care about rain or snow.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  16. #16
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noglider View Post
    I have a 1973 Raleigh Twenty with the original AW hub. I also built a new front wheel for it with a new Sturmey Archer drum brake hub. It is excellent. It was my solution to the fact that the original brakes on the bike were inexcusably bad. This hub brake is more than adequate, and it will never care about rain or snow.
    this is good to know. i've been contemplating building a 3 speed wheel set with drum brakes front and rear. could you post a pic or two? por favor?

  17. #17
    aka Tom Reingold noglider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Village, New York City
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    20,761
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pictures are in this thread, where I describe what I've done so far with it. I plan to put dynamo lights on it, too. I wish I had the combo front hub which is a drum brake plus dynamo.
    You don't read my signature anyway, do you?

    Tom Reingold, noglider@pobox.com
    Residences: West Village, New York City and High Falls, NY
    Blogs: The Experienced Cyclist; noglider's ride blog

  18. #18
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work, bro!

  19. #19
    Senior Member jdswitters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fort Collins CO
    My Bikes
    Torker Graduate, Schwinn windwood, Salsa Fargo, 2010 Felt NBBcruiser, '59 magneet path racer, mongoose beast
    Posts
    735
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my SA X-FDD

    4 seasons bomb proof for lights and stopping.
    Torker Graduate, 288 rods a day without pub detours.

  20. #20
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,741
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mhm..


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •