Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   My first folder: KHS Hollywood (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/903456-my-first-folder-khs-hollywood.html)

jaycs 07-24-13 02:27 PM

My first folder: KHS Hollywood
 
Hello Bikeforums,

I just picked up my first folding bike to get back into cycling. I picked up this little beauty for a steal off Craigslist, according to the vendor it costs over $400 MSRP when purchased. It's called the KHS Hollywood with 6-speed shimano and 20", but I have no additional information on it, like the year it was released. But from KHS, it seemed like a better deal than any sub $300 folding bikes I was looking at. I attempted to take it in for a tune-up, but I was told it was in great shape. Attached are some pictures of me riding it.

Took it for it's first test drive on Sunday, drove it all over the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. I like the fact it closes so this is forever staying in the trunk of my car. My only complaint is that EVERYONE is faster than me on this bike. Because of the small wheels, I need to pedal three times as much to keep up but then again, it is a FANTASTIC work out, so it balances itself in the end.

I want to replace the stock brake levers with some nice metal ones, as well as purchasing some other accessories like an LED light, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=330872http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=330873http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=330874


PS: My girlfriend named it R2-D2 because of the pearl-like finish

Rapidray 07-24-13 10:37 PM

Nice ride and a keeper - both the bike and your girlfriend! Her being a Star Wars fan is a plus. Have fun!

Pinigis 07-25-13 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycs (Post 15884972)
Hello Bikeforums,

My only complaint is that EVERYONE is faster than me on this bike. Because of the small wheels, I need to pedal three times as much to keep up but then again, it is a FANTASTIC work out, so it balances itself in the end.

It is not the small wheels that are making it slow, it is the gear ratio. A larger crankwheel will increase your speed, but at the expense of hill climbing ability.

jaycs 07-26-13 11:04 AM

Thanks you. I was thinking about upgrading some pieces, but I think keep it as it, great for cruising.

BassNotBass 07-26-13 01:04 PM

Interesting model. I haven't seen it in the KHS lineup of the last 6 years so I wonder if it's a 2014 year model. Steel frame, I take it? What size chainring is on it and what are the sizes of the largest and smallest cogs of the rear cluster? My Mocha was originally fitted with a 40 tooth chainring and a 14-30 rear so the highest was only 52.7 gear inches... the result was less than 15mph at a cadence of 90rpm.

DoubleDiamonDog 07-26-13 05:27 PM

Have fun - now you just need to get a bike for your girlfriend.

Are you guys anywhere close to where you can access the train at the Burbank airport or a station in Hollywood to catch the Red Line and take into downtown LA? Or hop on another rail line at Union Station and go elsewhere - like the Gold Line to Pasadena. LA gets a bad "no mass transit" rap but you can actually get around some parts really well - especially compared to car traffic.

kamtsa 07-26-13 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycs (Post 15884972)
My only complaint is that EVERYONE is faster than me on this bike. Because of the small wheels, I need to pedal three times as much to keep up

Plug the number here http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/ and see what 'gear inches' you get for your top gear. This is the number that counts. You can get high gear inches even with small wheels.

jaycs 07-29-13 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassNotBass (Post 15891886)
Interesting model. I haven't seen it in the KHS lineup of the last 6 years so I wonder if it's a 2014 year model. Steel frame, I take it? What size chainring is on it and what are the sizes of the largest and smallest cogs of the rear cluster? My Mocha was originally fitted with a 40 tooth chainring and a 14-30 rear so the highest was only 52.7 gear inches... the result was less than 15mph at a cadence of 90rpm.

Sadly, it is not a 2014 model, this bike is about 5 to 6 years old. I asked KHS about my bike and this was their response:

Hello Jay,
These are very popular in Europe and Asia.
We rarely import these to the US. We have a few folding models on the website that we sell regularly, but this one is more of an international model.
These folding models are constantly being refined and improved. It looks like a model we had a few years ago.
Your bike looks similar to this one
http://khsbicycles.com/10_f20a.htm

I hope this helps.
Enjoy the bike!


I also asked if the bike can be upgraded and he said it can go to 7 speed or even 8 speeds. Any suggestions on parts? I know it would be a complete rework and would like to keep it under $120 (anything higher and I might buy a 2nd bike)

-Jay

sreten 07-29-13 02:21 PM

Hi,

Trust me its not worth the effort / expense to change the gearing.
Learn to spin on it going fast. I'm 50+ and can do 18mph on one.

I broke a plastic brake lever letting the bike fall over, amazoned/ebayed
an alloy replacement pair, they where cleap, main housing still plastic.

Fit some good brake pads to the front, keep the old ones as spares.

A pair of nice rolling tyres will improve your average speed.

A pair of combined ergonomic grips with bar ends is an idea.

Fenders are a good option.

I bought a folder a Christmas to get back into biking.
At Easter I bought a road bike to go faster and further.

rgds, sreten.

FWIW when I first got the folder I was very slow on it.
Now I'm not, but will never be quick like the road bike.

$120 updating perfectly usable parts on a folder versus
spending say $200 on a nice used road bike, no contest.

smallwheeler 07-29-13 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycs (Post 15900490)
Sadly, it is not a 2014 model, this bike is about 5 to 6 years old. I asked KHS about my bike and this was their response:

Hello Jay,
These are very popular in Europe and Asia.
We rarely import these to the US. We have a few folding models on the website that we sell regularly, but this one is more of an international model.
These folding models are constantly being refined and improved. It looks like a model we had a few years ago.
Your bike looks similar to this one
http://khsbicycles.com/10_f20a.htm

I hope this helps.
Enjoy the bike!


I also asked if the bike can be upgraded and he said it can go to 7 speed or even 8 speeds. Any suggestions on parts? I know it would be a complete rework and would like to keep it under $120 (anything higher and I might buy a 2nd bike)

-Jay

why sad? don't be ridiculous. you found a cool bike that's "popular in europe and asia". you could make it 7, or 8 speeds. you could probably even take it up to 11 if you really tried. but, that's not necessary. all you need to do is get a bigger chainring.

the one you currently have is probably a 44 or 48 tooth chainring with a bolt center diameter (BCD) of 110 or 130. the bcd size may in fact be stamped on the chainwheel itself or on the backside of the crank spider.
once you've determined the correct BCD, go on ebay or bikecrap.net and order yourself the cheapest p.o.s. chainring that has 50 + teeth. 50t, 52t, 54t.
dude, i'm not even joking, it's going to look something like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/FSA-50T-x-130...vsg~~60_57.JPG

you will order this part. then you will attach it correctly to your cool bike. then you will ride it and be amazed at the transformation.

you will then be riding a fast bike. (for like, less than $30)

within a month of daily riding your girlfriend will compliment you on your newly developed MONSTER THIGHS:

http://emob80.photobucket.com/albums...g?t=1242836629
*individual results may vary. the results depicted in the above image are not typical (or recommended).

smallwheeler 07-29-13 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreten (Post 15901484)
Hi,

Trust me its not worth the effort / expense to change the gearing.
Learn to spin on it going fast. I'm 50+ and can do 18mph on one.

I broke a plastic lever letting the bike fall over, amazoned/ebayed
an alloy replacement pair, they where cleap, main housing still plastic.

Fit some good brake pads to the front, keep the old ones as spares.

A pair of nice rolling tyres will improve your average speed.

Fenders are a good option.

I bought a folder a Christmas to get back into biking.
At Easter I bought a road bike to go faster and further.

rgds, sreten.

FWIW when I first got the folder I was very slow on it.
Now I'm not, but will never be quick like the road bike.

$120 updating perfectly usable parts on a folder versus
spending say $200 on a nice used road bike, no contest.

HI,

http://cdn.grumpycats.com/wp-content...Was-Awful.jpeg

rgrds, grumpiest dude EVER

jaycs 07-29-13 03:22 PM

Thank you smallwheeler, awesome advice. I will be doing this ASAP!

sreten 07-29-13 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallwheeler (Post 15901581)
All you need to do is get a bigger chainring.

Hi,

I'll near guarantee its a one piece chainring and to change
the number of teeth the whole crankset needs changing.

My folder has 48 teeth. 52 is 8.3 % higher.
A freewheel starting at 13 instead of 14 would add 7.6%.

An amazing difference ? I don't think so. Each is about
half a gear on my 6 speed, together another gear.
48 with 14, 16, 18, 21, 24, 28. 33 to 66 gear inches.
Gears are 14%, 12.5%, 16.7%, 14.2%, 16.7%.

rgds, sreten.

I don't know how the clueless KHS person reckons
a 6 speed can be upgraded to 8 speed, just wrong,
and 7 speed freewheel is pointless, it can go no faster
than a 6 speed, both limited to a small 13t sprocket.

smallwheeler 07-29-13 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreten (Post 15901751)
Hi,

I'll near guarantee its a one piece chainring and to change
the number of teeth the whole crankset needs changing.

My folder has 48 teeth. 52 is 8.3 % higher.
A freewheel starting at 13 instead of 14 would add 7.6%.

An amazing difference ? I don't think so. Each is about
half a gear on my 6 speed, together another gear.

rgds, sreten.

I don't know how the clueless KHS person reckons
a 6 speed can be upgraded to 8 speed, just wrong.

ok captain grumpy.

if it is a one piece crankset, then it will cost him 50 instead of 30 and he wont have to worry about figuring out the BCD. see? there CAN be a bright side to things, bro..

smallwheeler 07-29-13 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycs (Post 15901724)
Thank you smallwheeler, awesome advice. I will be doing this ASAP!

cheers, bro

from 44 to 50t:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QsdVOgD1zq...0/DSC02017.JPG

sreten 07-29-13 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallwheeler (Post 15901794)
ok captain grumpy.

if it is a one piece crankset, then it will cost him 50 instead of 30 and he wont have
to worry about figuring out the BCD. see? there CAN be a bright side to things, bro..

Hi,

Quit your moronic personal comments.

Until the OP states the size of the frontring, most
likely 48t or 52t, and the rear which is almost
certainly 14-28t, I'll standby my comments.

The likely gearing is hard to upgrade effectively.
Changing the number of speeds is pointless.

rgds, sreten.

smallwheeler 07-29-13 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreten (Post 15901882)
Hi,

Quit your moronic personal comments.

Until the OP states the size of the frontring, most
likely 48t, and the rear which is almost certainly
14-28t, I'll standby my comments.

The likely gearing is hard to upgrade effectively.

rgds, sreten.

you're right, dad. i could be totally wrong about the particulars. and on closer inspection, i can see that it probably is a one-piece crank.
but, you sir, are a curmudgeonly grump. anyone who wants to waste his or her time wading through your 1,167 deary posts will attest.

at any rate, the OP found a cool and somewhat rare (for the locale) bike that he wants to improve upon and maybe add some personal touches. it's totally worth it to do so. he had complained earlier about the bike feeling under-geared. increasing the chainring size is the obvious upgrade.

nobody wants to hear, "forget it, it's not worth it. get a road bike."

p.s. i still like you. several months ago in a round of bawdy humor, you contributed "kinda lingers". i'll never forget it, bro... never..

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/maispon/i...b/7b2f3c92.jpg

sreten 07-29-13 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallwheeler (Post 15902025)
you're right, dad. i could be totally wrong about the particulars. and on closer inspection, i can see that it probably is a one-piece crank.
but, you sir, are a curmudgeonly grump. anyone who wants to waste his or her time wading through your 1,167 deary posts will attest.

at any rate, the OP found a cool and somewhat rare (for the locale) bike that he wants to improve upon and maybe add some personal touches. it's totally worth it to do so. he had complained earlier about the bike feeling under-geared. increasing the chainring size is the obvious upgrade.

nobody wants to hear, "forget it, it's not worth it. get a road bike."

p.s. i still like you. several months ago in a round of bawdy humor, you contributed "kinda lingers". i'll never forget it, bro... never..

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/maispon/i...b/7b2f3c92.jpg

Hi,

Get a life. Complaining some old duffer is a bit if a grump is
nothing new. However you don't seem to know much really
and seem to think clueless enthusiasm is better than sound
and conservative advice. That is your very wrong problem.

Quote:

nobody wants to hear, "forget it, it's not worth it. get a road bike."
How the hell do you know ? The OP is getting back into biking like I did.
There is probably no simple cost effective way to really upgrade the gearing.

I bought a budget folder. To go faster and further I bought a road bike.

Best thing I did to the folder was good tyres. It goes well for a folder.

The OP can take or leave my observations, they are what they are.

rgds, sreten.

BassNotBass 07-29-13 10:37 PM

sreten... you talk a lot about folders being slow and you have claimed that to be a result inherent of their design, a conclusion that I'm sure you've based on experience, which I'm willing to bet is very limited to begin with. You've mentioned how your inexpensive road bike is faster than your budget folder... good for you. But as I've mentioned before you lack the ability of "critical thought". From what I gather, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you've based your opinions on personal experiences, which is only normal, but you've failed to question the validity of those opinions just for the fact that:
  1. you own a road bike which was probably bought with the correct frame size to suit your ergonomics and the fact that it's a road bike and is therefore probably equipped with components for which speed was a contributing factor
  2. your folder, on the other hand, is a "one size fits all" proposition, something you probably haven't addressed in the form of stem, handlebar, crank arm length and other concerns that may help bring the bike's ergonomics more to your liking, and that was equipped with tire shaped objects to begin with which you "upgraded" with bargain grade tires (again, please correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall you posting something about cheap clearance tires for you folder). So far nothing about this is a recipe for efficiency and speed which you seem to hold dear.


In short you base your flawed (ill-proven) judgments on limited experiences that come from a very small pool of evidence. Not only do you make very specific statements that pertain to aspects of a broad nature (not verbatim but basically that folding bikes are limited or a compromise by nature) but you've summed up a type of bicycle (folder) as being slow which is foolhardy because even an econo-bike like a Citizen shouldn't be judged against something like a custom made Bike Friday.

Am I slower on my Bike Friday NWT than I am on my 20yo Nishiki Olympic 12? Of course I'm slightly slower because I built my Nishiki to do triathlons where speed is paramount.. to cover distances as quickly as possible on that one day of competiton whereas my BF is built for touring... to cover miles relatively quickly but comfortably yet still allow me to get in the saddle and do it over again the following several days. When it comes to all out speed there's no contest... my Nishiki will win out. However I'll feel a hell of a lot better after doing 100 miles on my BF as opposed to the Nishiki... because that's what it was built for. If I wanted my BF NWT to be as quick as my Nishiki, all I would have to do is spend money and compromise what the BF was intended for.

As far as this recurring theme of speed is concerned... what exactly does "fast" mean? I'm sure I can trounce you riding my Citizen Miami while you're on your road bike but that doesn't mean squat because I know that someone like Rob English can hand us our butts on a silver platter riding his Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. So what it boils down to is personal abilities and goals... on this forum we're looking for good reliable bikes to get us where we're going in an efficient way that also provides us with a certain level of enjoyment. For most of us <CAT3 "racers" a folding bike that meets our needs, be it "straight off the shelf" or via modifications, is all that we need to keep on pedaling with a smile on our face.

If jaycs likes his bike but wants to adjust the gearing more to his liking, then power to him and let's help guide him to the best of our abilities. If you want to crap on his goals based on your cynicism, then yeah, you're an old misguided grouch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreten (Post 15901882)
Hi,

...The likely gearing is hard to upgrade effectively.
Changing the number of speeds is pointless.

rgds, sreten.

Hi,

The "likely gearing" is a matter of changing the freehub (or freewheel) and to a larger extent the chainring and cranks. It's that simple. Changing the number of speeds can also be beneficial for stepping down the spacing between each usable gear... that relates to pedaling efficiency... I'm sure you're aware of that but may not want to acknowledge it for particular reasons.

rgds, bassnotbass.

brakemeister 07-30-13 08:51 AM

hey guys ..... folding bikes are fun .... no need to get all crumpy and spread the negativity around or slow folks down in their enthusiam they have with their bikes. Needs are different for everyone on this board.

Its easy to change gearing on almost any bike. And a couple teeth more ( or less) depending on the owner will make a HUGE difference in the fun department. For me every mod mades the bike personal and gives me a sense of accomplishment to do something which make the next ride more pleasurable ... i.e. fun ...

If you want to enter the next tour on a folder, do double centuries, travel the world gnarrliest roads, or just take a spin in the next harbour to find the best fish taco .... all doesnt matter if you feel the bike is not performing to its best ( again best is a very personal opinion, nothing else )
Riding my folder is more fun than the custom Ti Mountain bike, or silver brazed 753 roadbike, or or or

This board has a vast knowledge base from some folks who know eons more about bikes and especially foldies than me. Lets not stifel their enthusiams with crumpy comments....... like some of the above ones...

Well worth to do some moding for the OP to make the bike " his"

Best Thor

jaycs 07-30-13 11:44 AM

Wow, lots of opinions.

I am going to keep the bike as is for coasting, however I might pick up a used road bike next month.


I am going to save up for a new premium folder to spoil myself. I have my eyes set on either a Tern Link P24 - folder that looks perfect for touring Southern California and taking with me to NYC when I travel back East every now and then or the Tern Joe 24 - because maybe who am I fooling, a bigger sized bike is going to handle those hills and trails better touring Southern California.

sreten 07-30-13 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassNotBass (Post 15902979)
sreten... you talk a lot about folders being slow and you have claimed that to be a result inherent of their design, a conclusion that I'm sure you've based on experience, which I'm willing to bet is very limited to begin with. You've mentioned how your inexpensive road bike is faster than your budget folder... good for you. But as I've mentioned before you lack the ability of "critical thought". From what I gather, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you've based your opinions on personal experiences, which is only normal, but you've failed to question the validity of those opinions just for the fact that:
  1. you own a road bike which was probably bought with the correct frame size to suit your ergonomics and the fact that it's a road bike and is therefore probably equipped with components for which speed was a contributing factor
  2. your folder, on the other hand, is a "one size fits all" proposition, something you probably haven't addressed in the form of stem, handlebar, crank arm length and other concerns that may help bring the bike's ergonomics more to your liking, and that was equipped with tire shaped objects to begin with which you "upgraded" with bargain grade tires (again, please correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall you posting something about cheap clearance tires for you folder). So far nothing about this is a recipe for efficiency and speed which you seem to hold dear.


In short you base your flawed (ill-proven) judgments on limited experiences that come from a very small pool of evidence. Not only do you make very specific statements that pertain to aspects of a broad nature (not verbatim but basically that folding bikes are limited or a compromise by nature) but you've summed up a type of bicycle (folder) as being slow which is foolhardy because even an econo-bike like a Citizen shouldn't be judged against something like a custom made Bike Friday.

Am I slower on my Bike Friday NWT than I am on my 20yo Nishiki Olympic 12? Of course I'm slightly slower because I built my Nishiki to do triathlons where speed is paramount.. to cover distances as quickly as possible on that one day of competiton whereas my BF is built for touring... to cover miles relatively quickly but comfortably yet still allow me to get in the saddle and do it over again the following several days. When it comes to all out speed there's no contest... my Nishiki will win out. However I'll feel a hell of a lot better after doing 100 miles on my BF as opposed to the Nishiki... because that's what it was built for. If I wanted my BF NWT to be as quick as my Nishiki, all I would have to do is spend money and compromise what the BF was intended for.

As far as this recurring theme of speed is concerned... what exactly does "fast" mean? I'm sure I can trounce you riding my Citizen Miami while you're on your road bike but that doesn't mean squat because I know that someone like Rob English can hand us our butts on a silver platter riding his Bike Friday Pocket Rocket. So what it boils down to is personal abilities and goals... on this forum we're looking for good reliable bikes to get us where we're going in an efficient way that also provides us with a certain level of enjoyment. For most of us <CAT3 "racers" a folding bike that meets our needs, be it "straight off the shelf" or via modifications, is all that we need to keep on pedaling with a smile on our face.

If jaycs likes his bike but wants to adjust the gearing more to his liking, then power to him and let's help guide him to the best of our abilities. If you want to crap on his goals based on your cynicism, then yeah, you're an old misguided grouch.



Hi,

The "likely gearing" is a matter of changing the freehub (or freewheel) and to a larger extent the chainring and cranks. It's that simple. Changing the number of speeds can also be beneficial for stepping down the spacing between each usable gear... that relates to pedaling efficiency... I'm sure you're aware of that but may not want to acknowledge it for particular reasons.

rgds, bassnotbass.


Hi,

I don't claim to be an a expert but relate my experiences.

The folder is set up pretty well and has good tyres,
(though I did get them very discounted), Schwalbes.
Realistically it does 18mph, more downhill.

Both bikes bought on the assumption of average fit.

The idea you could take me on on my road
bike on your Citizen Miami is quite amusing.

Anyone with a day to waste could turn up
in Brighton UK and give it a go, my folder
is equivalent to a tweaked up Miami.

You will have to be fit, because I go about
30% faster and 75% further on the road bike.

rgds, sreten.

I didn't say the OP gearing cannot be changed
just that its difficult to effectively change. More
gears are no help if they don't address the issue.

brakemeister 07-30-13 02:25 PM

and I go 100% faster and 100 % further on my foldie ....



just cause I dont ride the other bikes no more



the problem with the statement :
You will have to be fit, because I go about
30% faster and 75% further on the road bike.

is, that some folks will take this very subjective/personal opinion as somewhat a well funded fact.

BassNotBass 07-30-13 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreten (Post 15905239)
... I go about
30% faster and 75% further on the road bike...

I would like to see video of that.

DoubleDiamonDog 07-30-13 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassNotBass (Post 15902979)
sreten... I'm sure I can trounce you riding my Citizen Miami while you're on your road bike
rgds, bassnotbass.

Again, I support this challenge. We need another videographer for this match race. i will serve as bookmaker for this event and will post opening odds once the course has been agreed upon and bios of the contestants have been assembled.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 AM.