Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2005 Dahon JetStream XP - Maintenance and Upgrade Advice

    Hey guys,

    I have a 2005 Dahon Jetstream XP which has been my pride and joy for ~8 years (crazy!). I have ridden this bike about 3 times a week since buying it new, and it has some issues that I'd like to fix.

    1. Brake calipers: I typically rode the Schwalbe orange and black racing tires which came stock with the bike. I've gone through about 5 pairs of them, but changed over to Big Apple tires about a year ago. I didn't think of this at the time I selected the Big Apples, however, as you probably guessed my issue - the stock brake calipers are way too short and as a result, my tires rub a little bit on the rubber grommet that fits between the calipers. I'd like to upgrade to long reach calipers, and from research, found the Tektro R559 brake calipers, which have upto a 74mm reach. Plus, I'd like to get away from the V brake design as they don't seem very good. Looking at the pictures of the Tektro R559s, it looks like they install at the base, and not at each caliper like the stock V brakes? My question - can I actually install these on my bike or is it too old? Pictures of my stock setup is below:

    FRONT WHEEL:






    BACK WHEEL:







    2. Front Suspension: The Pantour hub is pretty shot. It basically bottoms out and as a result, pushes the tire up even higher which exacerbates the already short caliper issue. I have to constantly ride with my weight as far back as possible. Is it possible to replace this hub? I'm actually debating on if I really want another pantour....I think I might just be fine with another Kinetix Comp Wheel?


    3. Back Suspension: The Cane Creek AD 5 shock also bottoms out - I actually feel it hitting the bottom. What are the replacement options for this? I've seen new seal kits - is this a DIY fix or do I need to just buy a new one? Better yet, is there an upgraded shock (maybe spring based) that would work?

    Notice how clean the shock is? Cleanest part of the bike!



    Thanks everyone! I love this bike and it has never failed me! I've literally ridden it into the ground and I've finally saved up enough money to buy some parts!

    Here is a picture of it when I first bought it!

    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  2. #2
    Bike rider alexaschwanden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palo Alto
    My Bikes
    2013 Felt 960, 2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0
    Posts
    2,227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice bike.
    2013 Felt 960 29er MTB. 1,322.2 miles
    2013 Raleigh Revenio 2.0. 599.4 miles

  3. #3
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaschwanden View Post
    Nice bike.
    Thanks man!
    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  4. #4
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump? Anyone?
    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  5. #5
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,639
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the brakes,calipers are short pull,your V's are long pull. If you install them,you'll also need to swap your levers.

    For the tires,how wide are your rims? When I got my Speed Pro TT off eBay,the previous owner had a set of BA's mounted. They just fit the frame,but were too wide for the rims,and the bead wasn't right. Swapped them for 1.5" Marathon Racers and no probs. It could just be the angle of the photos,but in pics 1&3 it looks like you're having the same issue I had(FYI,my SPTT came stock with those same tires yours did). If that's the case,you need to get narrower tires suited for your rims,which will solve your brake issues.

    For the Pantour;I hate the one on my Mu SL. PITA to set the brakes up by myself,and I really don't like the suspension feeling. Pantour is kinda still in business,I think,their site is messed up and outdated. I'd suggest if you want to keep the hub to check ThorUSA(he also posts here) and see if he can get you another elastomer. He also might be able to help source another shock or rebuild kit for it.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  6. #6
    Senior Member darukhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago-land
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
    3. Back Suspension: The Cane Creek AD 5 shock also bottoms out - I actually feel it hitting the bottom. What are the replacement options for this? I've seen new seal kits - is this a DIY fix or do I need to just buy a new one? Better yet, is there an upgraded shock (maybe spring based) that would work?
    You can adjust the damping on that AD 5 shock by adjusting the amount of air pressure the piston compresses. If you're bottoming out the shock, you should adjust the shock to have increased pressure.

    Check out this link for instructions on adjusting the shock> http://www.canecreek.com/resources/p...i_Language.pdf
    (See "Section B: Tuning Modifications")

    I'm sure a local bike shop could adjust it for you if you don't want to get into the shock yourself. Good luck with it!

  7. #7
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.thorusa.com/accessories/xklusive.htm
    bottom of page....
    That would do it ....

    best Thor

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
    Bump? Anyone?
    The brakes are easy .. you have short V-Brake arms, you need something like THIS if you are going to run Big Apples and want more clearance .. the Pantour probably needs new elastomers inside the hub... Pantour used to sell them, but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired in my experience .. I probably have a set if you need them... they are nothing special, and you could easily cut your own out of some similar material .. if that is the only problem you've had with the hub, consider yourself lucky.. on my Jetstream XP, I ditched the Pantour and run a lightweight Rolf wheel and Greenspeed Scourchers .. the high volume tire gives enough compliance for street riding... if the rear shock doen't hold air anymore, there are always elastomer type units with roughly the same bolt hole center to center spacing .. mine is still holding air okay .. I'm assuming you have a high pressure shock pump..

  9. #9
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
    The brakes are easy .. you have short V-Brake arms, you need something like THIS if you are going to run Big Apples and want more clearance .. the Pantour probably needs new elastomers inside the hub... Pantour used to sell them, but their customer service leaves a lot to be desired in my experience .. I probably have a set if you need them... they are nothing special, and you could easily cut your own out of some similar material .. if that is the only problem you've had with the hub, consider yourself lucky.. on my Jetstream XP, I ditched the Pantour and run a lightweight Rolf wheel and Greenspeed Scourchers .. the high volume tire gives enough compliance for street riding... if the rear shock doen't hold air anymore, there are always elastomer type units with roughly the same bolt hole center to center spacing .. mine is still holding air okay .. I'm assuming you have a high pressure shock pump..
    Hey thanks guys. Brucemetras - that's exactly the brakes I was imagining in my head - and only $12! I think I'm gonna just ditch the entire front wheel and Pantour hub. I don't really think I want to mess around with it anymore, and I don't like how it messes with the brake alignment. I'm thinking of just buying a KINETIX Comp front wheel and leaving it at that.

    Will take a closer look at the back suspension. I saw there are some seal kits out there - not sure if I need it. Do I need a high pressure shock pump to fix it (assuming seals are good or replaced)?

    Oh, where would I find a new front brake cable or sheeth? Mine splintered right after it points downward to go to the front brake calipers.
    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  10. #10
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool looking bike. I have the Jetstream EX 2010. I prefer Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Given you have good suspension, why the Schwalbe Apples?

  11. #11
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,639
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
    Oh, where would I find a new front brake cable or sheeth? Mine splintered right after it points downward to go to the front brake calipers.
    Any bike shop will carry them.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  12. #12
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would not necessary take the marathon Plus ... but rather the supreme... due to the suspension...... oh wait you don't have any in front .... well ....
    I can help ..lol

    Best Thor

  13. #13
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Any bike shop will carry them.
    Great, thanks man!
    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  14. #14
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
    Cool looking bike. I have the Jetstream EX 2010. I prefer Schwalbe Marathon Plus. Given you have good suspension, why the Schwalbe Apples?
    Very cool. Admittedly, I haven't looked at Dahon bikes in awhile! I rarely see them on the road either.

    I got the Big Apples because I had a flat and at the time, the shop only had Big Apples. Probably don't need the cushion, but given a choice between the stock racing tires and the big apples, i went for comfort.

    I have never seen the Marathon plus. Curious if they are low profile enough that I wouldn't need longer brake calipers?
    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  15. #15
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    I would not necessary take the marathon Plus ... but rather the supreme... due to the suspension...... oh wait you don't have any in front .... well ....
    I can help ..lol

    Best Thor
    Hey Thor - so are you saying for bikes without suspension I should have Marathon Plus? or?
    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  16. #16
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    I would not necessary take the marathon Plus ... but rather the supreme... due to the suspension...... oh wait you don't have any in front .... well ....
    I can help ..lol

    Best Thor
    The Supreme let me down with a flat. Not as puncture resistant as the plus.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My Bikes
    Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
    Posts
    1,791
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a pantour hub (bought from Mr mulleady, from Somnatash) and I like it a lot an aim to keep it running for a long time. There are detailed docs online regarding the servicing of it, if you search. The mechanism is quite simple, and you should be able to find something suitable as a replacement elastomer. You could, for instance, cut a thudbuster ST elastomer to the correct size. (durometer rates: x-soft ( #1 ) = 39, soft (#3) = 46, medium (#5) = 54, firm ( #7 )= 61, X-firm ( #9 )= 68 )
    If I remember rightly the Pantour had two hardness of elastomer, 40A and 50A, 40A being the standard.

  18. #18
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chagzuki View Post
    I've got a pantour hub (bought from Mr mulleady, from Somnatash) and I like it a lot an aim to keep it running for a long time. There are detailed docs online regarding the servicing of it, if you search. The mechanism is quite simple, and you should be able to find something suitable as a replacement elastomer. You could, for instance, cut a thudbuster ST elastomer to the correct size. (durometer rates: x-soft ( #1 ) = 39, soft (#3) = 46, medium (#5) = 54, firm ( #7 )= 61, X-firm ( #9 )= 68 )
    If I remember rightly the Pantour had two hardness of elastomer, 40A and 50A, 40A being the standard.
    Thanks Chagzuki. Honestly, I think I've given up on the Pantour technology. I don't really care to have compression on the front. I just want consistency so my brakes work 100% of the time.

    Does anybody know where to get WheelSport wheels? I've been doing some research and they look really nice.

    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  19. #19
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or i could sell you my recently serviced 2010 Jetstream EX with new Schwalbe Marathonplus tyres lol

  20. #20
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
    Or i could sell you my recently serviced 2010 Jetstream EX with new Schwalbe Marathonplus tyres lol
    I'd be interested...but you're across the pond...
    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  21. #21
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,639
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wangta01 View Post
    Curious if they are low profile enough that I wouldn't need longer brake calipers?
    Pretty much any tires narrower than 2" will clear your brakes. As I said,your bike wasn't intended to run tires that big.

    Quote Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
    The Supreme let me down with a flat. Not as puncture resistant as the plus.
    Never flatted my Supremes,and have picked many pieces of FOD out of them. Plus may be more puncture resistant,but is also much heavier and doesn't give nearly the traction in wet weather. I've gotten air under my rear wheel twice panic braking on a steep downhill. Had no probs stopping either time. Never ridden a tire that sticks as well as my Supremes.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  22. #22
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Pretty much any tires narrower than 2" will clear your brakes. As I said,your bike wasn't intended to run tires that big.



    Never flatted my Supremes,and have picked many pieces of FOD out of them. Plus may be more puncture resistant,but is also much heavier and doesn't give nearly the traction in wet weather. I've gotten air under my rear wheel twice panic braking on a steep downhill. Had no probs stopping either time. Never ridden a tire that sticks as well as my Supremes.
    What did you use them on Dyna? Very interesting.

  23. #23
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,639
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Supremes on a couple bikes. The above experiences were both on my commuter,the Safari.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  24. #24
    Stupendous Man wangta01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    2005 Dahon Jetstream XP
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, the more research I do, the more I am thinking - maybe it's time to buy another folder! The new bikes look pretty sweet!

    However, when I look at the specs and think objectively about it - I don't think any of them provide that much value over what I have? My 2005 Jetstream XP weighs ~22 lbs, 9 gears, rear suspension. I feel like if I get a regular, kinetix comp wheel for the front, its pretty much on par with most of the mid- to high-level Dahon/Terns out there?
    --
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My Bikes
    Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
    Posts
    1,791
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, the technology hasn't really changed. The rear shock (if you get a decent one) is a big plus IMO.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •