Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dahon Speed Uno accomodate frnt/back V or Cali Brakes (I'll get rid of coaster)?How?

    Hi,
    I'm contemplating getting a Dahon Speed Uno, but hate coaster brakes. I've looked carefully at online pics and can't tell if the fork and rear triangle have the right fittings for V or Calliper brakes. If they don't, can they be added somehow? How? Thanks!

  2. #2
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    they don't and they cannot be added ( easily anyhow... framebuilder could, warranty would be dead , new paint, expensive to say the least )
    furthermore the rear is 110 mm normal wheel would be 130 .....

    You can add caliper brakes ... and take the coaster out of the brake so to speak ....

  3. #3
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,229
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding canti posts would be something for an experienced frame builder to do;I don't think the cost/effort would be worth it. Depending on rear spacing,you could go with a drum/roller brake. From the pics I've seen,it looks like there's a hole in the seatstay bridge. If so,you could always mount a caliper brake.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rear spacing 110mm! That ixnes my plans , at least i think so....
    d/t nice horizontal droupouts i was thinking Nexus 8sp IGH.... With chromo i know it can be spread some, but 110 to 126mm (Nexus with no roller brake fittings) is too much?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newbie question: got that rear calipers can be added, can they be added to the front?

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Brighton UK
    My Bikes
    20" Folder, Road Bike
    Posts
    1,664
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

    Don't buy a new bike with things you don't want and want to change.
    Buy a new bike with all the the things you want, like gears ....

    rgds, sreten.
    Last edited by sreten; 09-10-13 at 09:08 PM.

  7. #7
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IRideISmile View Post
    Newbie question: got that rear calipers can be added, can they be added to the front?
    yes no prob

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UK versions have V brakes front and back

    Jerry
    Brompton M2L (SRAM A2), Brompton M2L(X), Dahon Uno (SRAM A2), Both Swift Xootr & Moulton TSR2 now gone

  9. #9
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,229
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you're thinking about the Mu Uno. The UK versions of the Mu have V brakes.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  10. #10
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,229
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IRideISmile View Post
    Rear spacing 110mm!
    Sturmey Archer make a 3spd with 110OLD.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd guess the Speed Uno has the same 120mm spacing, just like the Mu Uno, as they both use the same Shimano coaster hub.. also, if like the Mu Uno I'm familiar with, that thin rear cross piece is not suitable for a caliper brake, and is not equipped with a brake boss, but simply a hole for a fender mount .. I'd probably double check the frame you're interested in, just in case Dahon changed the frames for their newest models to include a caliper brake boss..

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IRideISmile View Post
    Hi,
    I'm contemplating getting a Dahon Speed Uno, but hate coaster brakes. I've looked carefully at online pics and can't tell if the fork and rear triangle have the right fittings for V or Calliper brakes. If they don't, can they be added somehow? How? Thanks!
    You can add a front caliper brake to your Speed Uno, but you can not on the rear because the bridge hole mount is for fender installation not a caliper brake. That's coming from my Dahon dealer. The rear spacing is 120mm and will be able to take a Shimano Nexus 3 or the 2 speed SRAM Automatix and the 2 speed Sturmey Archer S2C kickback hub. I have the S2c hub.

    What's wrong with the coaster brake?!? It's powerful enough for a good stop and since the majority of the braking power is on the front (about 90%), you would be concerned about getting a good front brake and leave the coaster intact. I live in mountaneous Vancouver, Canada with insane hills and the Sturmey Archer coaster brake seemed to work just fine in conjunction with a front brake. The only time I killed it is when I used it solely to decend down a steep hill, but the new hub from Sturmey Archer which was sent to me for free under warranty seemed to have fixed it and shifting is fine thus far.
    Trek 5000 carbon road bike
    Masi Speciale CX touring bike
    Dahon Mu SL (performance hybrid road bike)
    Dahon Speed Duo (slow poker shopper or coffee getter bike)

  13. #13
    Senior Member fusilierdan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Rockland County, NY
    My Bikes
    Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011
    Posts
    298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Giant TCRC2 2007, GT Avalance 2011,Dahon MU P8 2012

  14. #14
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,207
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More pre worrying , get a bike with brakes that you like .

    rather than one with something you promptly are needing to modify.


    But ..
    if there is a bolt hole in a seat stay cross brace

    there is an adapter for BMX bikes to fit And add V brakes to those..

    that came with a long reach sidepull or something..

    Might be something to try ..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 09-11-13 at 08:16 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Sturmey Archer make a 3spd with 110OLD.
    And a 5 speed http://www.sturmey-archer.com/produc...d/4/id/64.html
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your kind offers of ideas and recommendations. To be clear, my main interest in the Speed Uno was the horizontal drops and the chromo because I thought I could start with an inexpensive frame and then end up with a Nexus 8 speed IGH (I want the Nexus 8 because of the range of gearing and because it is SILENT. The Sturmey's and SRAMS are noisy with "tik tik tik tik" while peddling and especially while coasting - that is not for me. (FYI, I tried the Mu EX with Nexus 8 but found the frame felt "dead" while riding. Someday soon I'm going to writeup my fantasy folder and the intense process over the last year of going through folders trying to find it, then deciding to build up something.)

    Anyway, for now I understand the brake options for the Speed Uno (thanks everyone for your input), but not clear on the rear OLD measurement, which is really important to me, as it's the difference between being able to spread the triangle to fit the hub or not.

    Thor says the Speed Uno's OLD is 110mm and two senior forum members say it's 120mm.




    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    the rear is 110 mm normal wheel would be 130 ....

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
    I'd guess the Speed Uno has the same 120mm spacing, just like the Mu Uno, as they both use the same Shimano coaster hub.. ..

    Quote Originally Posted by pacificcyclist View Post
    The rear spacing is 120mm and will be able to take a Shimano Nexus 3 or the 2 speed SRAM Automatix and the 2 speed Sturmey Archer S2C kickback hub. I have the S2c hub.

    That's very reliable sources saying different measurements! Can you guys reach agreement on the Speed's rear OLD? If I bought, it would likely be online, so not able to measure it myself. Thanks!
    Last edited by IRideISmile; 09-13-13 at 12:00 AM. Reason: put wrong bike model (it's Speed, not Mu)

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sreten View Post
    Hi,

    Don't buy a new bike with things you don't want and want to change.
    Buy a new bike with all the the things you want, like gears ....

    rgds, sreten.
    I haven't yet found a folding bike with everything I want that also rides how I want. (I'll post about the journey sometime.) Realizing i'll likely have to build up/piecemeal myself, which is actually really cool (except for the cost part! ;-) See my post above for why i've been considering the Speed Uno
    Last edited by IRideISmile; 09-12-13 at 11:59 PM. Reason: wrong word

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IRideISmile View Post
    Thanks everyone for your kind offers of ideas and recommendations. To be clear, my main interest in the Speed Uno was the horizontal drops and the chromo because I thought I could start with an inexpensive frame and then end up with a Nexus 8 speed IGH (I want the Nexus 8 because of the range of gearing and because it is SILENT. The Sturmey's and SRAMS are noisy with "tik tik tik tik" while peddling and especially while coasting - that is not for me. (FYI, I tried the Mu EX with Nexus 8 but found the frame felt "dead" while riding. Someday soon I'm going to writeup my fantasy folder and the intense process over the last year of going through folders trying to find it, then deciding to build up something.)

    Anyway, for now I understand the brake options for the Speed Uno (thanks everyone for your input), but not clear on the rear OLD measurement, which is really important to me, as it's the difference between being able to spread the triangle to fit the hub or not.

    Thor says the Speed Uno's OLD is 110mm and two senior forum members say it's 120mm.













    That's very reliable sources saying different measurements! Can you guys reach agreement on the Speed's rear OLD? If I bought, it would likely be online, so not able to measure it myself. Thanks!
    My S2C kickback hub is 116mm OLD and the Shimano Nexus 3 hub has a 120mm OLD which also fits the Speed Uno.
    Trek 5000 carbon road bike
    Masi Speciale CX touring bike
    Dahon Mu SL (performance hybrid road bike)
    Dahon Speed Duo (slow poker shopper or coffee getter bike)

  19. #19
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,460
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's various adapters available to mount caliper brakes on bikes not built for them. "Track bike brake adapter" search yields Diacomp components which might work. It's a kludge, not an elegant one, but it would get you brakes cheaper than having a frame welded.

    Rear brake + adapter:

    Front brake + adapter:
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  20. #20
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its 120 mmm senior moment around here :-)
    Must be all that work prior to go to the Interbike show
    :-)

    some frames do have rear brake bolts some dont.... dont ask me why they are different ..makes no sense

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    121
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same idea, but gave up due to coaster brake.
    OLD of 8-speed Nexus hub is 132mm, IIRC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •