Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Tern Joe P24 vs D24 vs C21

    Hi All, I am so glad I have found this forum after all
    I am open to any suggestion, so please feel free to comment.
    After lot of research I have narrowed down to these 3 bikes according to my budget around £500
    TERN Eclipse P9 £550 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec045741
    TERN P24 £500 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032586
    TERN D24 £400 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032587
    TERN C21 £300 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032588

    I will be using this bike mainly for Commuting from home to work (around 2X 8miles) everyday. I was thinking to get C21 and I am unsure if its worth spending £100/£200/£250 extra for D24/P24/P9!!!
    Can anyone please give some input, if have any experience of these bikes or give some alternative or some suggestion, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by tapash; 09-14-13 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Added another bike of choice: Eclipse P9

  2. #2
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,701
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sold on Disc brakes, so I vote for the P24.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator no1mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NE OK
    My Bikes
    '06 Kona Smoke
    Posts
    8,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved from Commuting... because I think that the OP will get more input here in Folding Bikes .
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Ride what and in what manner pleases you. Those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind. srsly.
    Community guidelines

  4. #4
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tapash View Post
    Hi All, I am so glad I have found this forum after all
    I am open to any suggestion, so please feel free to comment.
    After lot of research I have narrowed down to these 3 bikes according to my budget around £500
    TERN Eclipse P9 £550 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032579
    TERN P24 £500 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032586
    TERN D24 £400 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032587
    TERN C21 £300 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032588

    I will be using this bike mainly for Commuting from home to work (around 2X 8miles) everyday. I was thinking to get C21 and I am unsure if its worth spending £100/£200/£250 extra for D24/P24/P9!!!
    Can anyone please give some input, if have any experience of these bikes or give some alternative or some suggestion, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance....
    We need more info to give a good answer.

    Why a folder? All links to Evans so I am guessing UK. Hilly? Flat? Is commuting all you want it for or would you maybe do touring on it one day?


    Personally I would not buy a full size folder (26" or 28" wheels) as I think they only change shape when folded, they are not smaller. Others may have a good reason to do so.

    If you ride a lot in snow or mud/sand a 20" may be small.

    Do you want to take it on a crowded buss or train in rain? Small apartment? Carry it upstairs? For some weight is more important than fold.
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  5. #5
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with privious poster. See little point in folding full size bike. Just take the wheels off off a ridig for simular reduction in compactness.

    My vote would be a link P24 the vertilie one with dual drive hub. Fit a front and rear rack and rule the world for £500!!
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badmother View Post
    We need more info to give a good answer.

    Why a folder? All links to Evans so I am guessing UK. Hilly? Flat? Is commuting all you want it for or would you maybe do touring on it one day?


    Personally I would not buy a full size folder (26" or 28" wheels) as I think they only change shape when folded, they are not smaller. Others may have a good reason to do so.

    If you ride a lot in snow or mud/sand a 20" may be small.

    Do you want to take it on a crowded buss or train in rain? Small apartment? Carry it upstairs? For some weight is more important than fold.
    Thanks for your reply...

    Yes I am in UK. There are couple of hills i have to deal with... and I have short of space in my flat to keep a full size bike. I do not want to do touring at all. Its solely for going to work and sometimes have a ride with friends on weekends.

    I chose 26"/24" because its hard to push pedals on hilly roads on small bikes. and I plan to use it all the time during winter or rainy seasons. I understand your point of they change shape when folded, but in my office if I keep a full blown bike in front of the door of my boss, either I will be kicked out or my bike. and I do not want to keep in parking lot cos there are EXPERT thieves around...

    I would not need it to take on train, but sometimes may be in bus, but thats very rarely.....

    Yes, I have walk up stairs for 3 floors because there is no lift therefore even though weight is not a big deal for me but lighter is always nice..

    Looking forward to hear further....

  7. #7
    Senior Member DVC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Paramount '91, Downtube Nova and I want more! :)
    Posts
    3,701
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tapash View Post
    Thanks for your reply...


    I plan to use it all the time during winter or rainy seasons.
    More reason to go with Disc brakes.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVC45 View Post
    More reason to go with Disc brakes.
    ok, that narrows down to

    TERN Eclipse P9 £550 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec045741
    TERN P24 £500 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032586

    ...which is better?
    Any other alternative for money?
    Last edited by tapash; 09-14-13 at 11:06 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member badmother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible for you to borrow or rent a bike or two? I would not go bigger than 24" wheels max in your situation. I think approx 80% of us (at least) ride bikes without disk brakes, Winter and summer. Just sayin..

    If gear system is not important then der gears is the lightest option but may be more maintenance in the long run.

    I would look at a Dahon MuP8 or a similar Tern in your situation (I do not have Terns near by to look at in person so a bit lazy when it comes to learning about them).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Nc2VpnEHs
    °Empty drums make a lot of noice... (Old Hungarian proverb).

  10. #10
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,855
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tapash View Post
    ... I chose 26"/24" because its hard to push pedals on hilly roads on small bikes. and I plan to use it all the time during winter or rainy seasons...
    I can't say I agree with either reason for wanting a larger wheeled bike but since they're what you're after I would go with a 26". They're not that much larger than a 24" but there are quite a few more tire options for 26" than 24".
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your input. Greatly appreciated

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider model with internally-geared hub.
    Low maintenance and clean--with chain-guard.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anga View Post
    Consider model with internally-geared hub.
    Low maintenance and clean--with chain-guard.
    Can you Please give some example of which bike you are referring to?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check websites of Tern, Dahon or your favorite maker for info on latest models.
    http://www.nycewheels.com/ offers folders from several makers.

  15. #15
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anga View Post
    Check websites of Tern, Dahon or your favorite maker for info on latest models.
    http://www.nycewheels.com/ offers folders from several makers.
    and what are the bikes Nyce guys have in 26 inch wheel size which come with unternal hubs ?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    and what are the bikes Nyce guys have in 26 inch wheel size which come with unternal hubs ?
    You cannot expect me to do all the work
    Pacific Cycles offers iF Mode, iF Urban 700C and NYCE stocks at least one of them. There may be other models with IGH--browse their site and update here.

  17. #17
    New usename ThorUSA brakemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Southern Illinois USA
    Posts
    2,469
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anga View Post
    You cannot expect me to do all the work
    Pacific Cycles offers iF Mode, iF Urban 700C and NYCE stocks at least one of them. There may be other models with IGH--browse their site and update here.
    true but the original poster was asking about Tern Bikes :-)
    no harm done
    Best Thor

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
    true but the original poster was asking about Tern Bikes :-)
    no harm done
    Best Thor
    You missed post #13 by the original poster--I was responding to that.
    Any case, I don't care what bike the OP gets as long as he is happy with it.

    The best (IMO) VFM folder is the Tilt 9 by Btwin/Decathlon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •