Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-13, 03:32 PM   #1
tapash
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tern Joe P24 vs D24 vs C21

Hi All, I am so glad I have found this forum after all
I am open to any suggestion, so please feel free to comment.
After lot of research I have narrowed down to these 3 bikes according to my budget around 500
TERN Eclipse P9 550 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec045741
TERN P24 500 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032586
TERN D24 400 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032587
TERN C21 300 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032588

I will be using this bike mainly for Commuting from home to work (around 2X 8miles) everyday. I was thinking to get C21 and I am unsure if its worth spending 100/200/250 extra for D24/P24/P9!!!
Can anyone please give some input, if have any experience of these bikes or give some alternative or some suggestion, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance....

Last edited by tapash; 09-14-13 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added another bike of choice: Eclipse P9
tapash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 06:36 PM   #2
DVC45
Senior Member
 
DVC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am sold on Disc brakes, so I vote for the P24.
DVC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 09:13 PM   #3
no1mad
Thunder Whisperer
 
no1mad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE OK
Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke
Posts: 8,660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Moved from Commuting... because I think that the OP will get more input here in Folding Bikes .
__________________
Community guidelines
no1mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 02:45 AM   #4
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapash View Post
Hi All, I am so glad I have found this forum after all
I am open to any suggestion, so please feel free to comment.
After lot of research I have narrowed down to these 3 bikes according to my budget around 500
TERN Eclipse P9 550 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032579
TERN P24 500 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032586
TERN D24 400 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032587
TERN C21 300 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032588

I will be using this bike mainly for Commuting from home to work (around 2X 8miles) everyday. I was thinking to get C21 and I am unsure if its worth spending 100/200/250 extra for D24/P24/P9!!!
Can anyone please give some input, if have any experience of these bikes or give some alternative or some suggestion, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance....
We need more info to give a good answer.

Why a folder? All links to Evans so I am guessing UK. Hilly? Flat? Is commuting all you want it for or would you maybe do touring on it one day?


Personally I would not buy a full size folder (26" or 28" wheels) as I think they only change shape when folded, they are not smaller. Others may have a good reason to do so.

If you ride a lot in snow or mud/sand a 20" may be small.

Do you want to take it on a crowded buss or train in rain? Small apartment? Carry it upstairs? For some weight is more important than fold.
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 03:36 AM   #5
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 2,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I agree with privious poster. See little point in folding full size bike. Just take the wheels off off a ridig for simular reduction in compactness.

My vote would be a link P24 the vertilie one with dual drive hub. Fit a front and rear rack and rule the world for 500!!
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 08:37 AM   #6
tapash
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmother View Post
We need more info to give a good answer.

Why a folder? All links to Evans so I am guessing UK. Hilly? Flat? Is commuting all you want it for or would you maybe do touring on it one day?


Personally I would not buy a full size folder (26" or 28" wheels) as I think they only change shape when folded, they are not smaller. Others may have a good reason to do so.

If you ride a lot in snow or mud/sand a 20" may be small.

Do you want to take it on a crowded buss or train in rain? Small apartment? Carry it upstairs? For some weight is more important than fold.
Thanks for your reply...

Yes I am in UK. There are couple of hills i have to deal with... and I have short of space in my flat to keep a full size bike. I do not want to do touring at all. Its solely for going to work and sometimes have a ride with friends on weekends.

I chose 26"/24" because its hard to push pedals on hilly roads on small bikes. and I plan to use it all the time during winter or rainy seasons. I understand your point of they change shape when folded, but in my office if I keep a full blown bike in front of the door of my boss, either I will be kicked out or my bike. and I do not want to keep in parking lot cos there are EXPERT thieves around...

I would not need it to take on train, but sometimes may be in bus, but thats very rarely.....

Yes, I have walk up stairs for 3 floors because there is no lift therefore even though weight is not a big deal for me but lighter is always nice..

Looking forward to hear further....
tapash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 09:04 AM   #7
DVC45
Senior Member
 
DVC45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapash View Post
Thanks for your reply...


I plan to use it all the time during winter or rainy seasons.
More reason to go with Disc brakes.
DVC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 09:20 AM   #8
tapash
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC45 View Post
More reason to go with Disc brakes.
ok, that narrows down to

TERN Eclipse P9 550 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec045741
TERN P24 500 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec032586

...which is better?
Any other alternative for money?

Last edited by tapash; 09-14-13 at 10:06 AM.
tapash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 10:28 AM   #9
badmother
Senior Member
 
badmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Is it possible for you to borrow or rent a bike or two? I would not go bigger than 24" wheels max in your situation. I think approx 80% of us (at least) ride bikes without disk brakes, Winter and summer. Just sayin..

If gear system is not important then der gears is the lightest option but may be more maintenance in the long run.

I would look at a Dahon MuP8 or a similar Tern in your situation (I do not have Terns near by to look at in person so a bit lazy when it comes to learning about them).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Nc2VpnEHs
badmother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 10:33 AM   #10
BassNotBass
lowlife bottom feeder
 
BassNotBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lou-evil, Canned-Yucky USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapash View Post
... I chose 26"/24" because its hard to push pedals on hilly roads on small bikes. and I plan to use it all the time during winter or rainy seasons...
I can't say I agree with either reason for wanting a larger wheeled bike but since they're what you're after I would go with a 26". They're not that much larger than a 24" but there are quite a few more tire options for 26" than 24".
BassNotBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-13, 01:56 PM   #11
tapash
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you all for your input. Greatly appreciated
tapash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-13, 06:33 AM   #12
anga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Consider model with internally-geared hub.
Low maintenance and clean--with chain-guard.
anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-13, 01:19 AM   #13
tapash
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anga View Post
Consider model with internally-geared hub.
Low maintenance and clean--with chain-guard.
Can you Please give some example of which bike you are referring to?
tapash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 10:21 AM   #14
anga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check websites of Tern, Dahon or your favorite maker for info on latest models.
http://www.nycewheels.com/ offers folders from several makers.
anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 02:13 PM   #15
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anga View Post
Check websites of Tern, Dahon or your favorite maker for info on latest models.
http://www.nycewheels.com/ offers folders from several makers.
and what are the bikes Nyce guys have in 26 inch wheel size which come with unternal hubs ?
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 10:24 AM   #16
anga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
and what are the bikes Nyce guys have in 26 inch wheel size which come with unternal hubs ?
You cannot expect me to do all the work
Pacific Cycles offers iF Mode, iF Urban 700C and NYCE stocks at least one of them. There may be other models with IGH--browse their site and update here.
anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 12:24 PM   #17
brakemeister 
New usename ThorUSA
 
brakemeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southern Illinois USA
Bikes:
Posts: 2,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anga View Post
You cannot expect me to do all the work
Pacific Cycles offers iF Mode, iF Urban 700C and NYCE stocks at least one of them. There may be other models with IGH--browse their site and update here.
true but the original poster was asking about Tern Bikes :-)
no harm done
Best Thor
__________________
www.thorusa.com
Dahon : Freedom Unfolds
Tern : all about the ride
brakemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 12:44 PM   #18
anga
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Bikes:
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakemeister View Post
true but the original poster was asking about Tern Bikes :-)
no harm done
Best Thor
You missed post #13 by the original poster--I was responding to that.
Any case, I don't care what bike the OP gets as long as he is happy with it.

The best (IMO) VFM folder is the Tilt 9 by Btwin/Decathlon.
anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:27 AM.