Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-13, 07:11 PM   #1
cinnamon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Origami Cricket, Dahon Curve, and iant Sedona
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dahon curve owners/dealers

Hey all, I need a little help. I've looked for a Dahon Curve locally for my 6 (going on 7) year old to try out. There wasn't any Curve in town for her to try. I had her on a Brompton at the shop (the bike shop guy had fun with that one) and it fit because of the 'U' shaped handlebars were able to tilt toward her enough for her to reach the shifters and breaks. So now my questions are as follows:

1. Can anyone be kind enough to post a measurement from the handlebars to the seat post from a Dahon Curve?
2. Will I be able to possibly swap out the handlebars on a Curve to a 'U' shape without effecting the fold?
3. For giggles and grins... Do you think a Citizen Tokyo would be able to accommodate a 'U' shaped handlebar and still be able to fold?

I'd really love to get a folder for her for Christmas. Having my own folder, has greatly increased the amount that I'm able to ride. Being able to fold the bikes up and carry them with me wherever has opened up lots of options. Am I chasing a pipe dream of a kid folder? Should I just get her the Trek that she'll grow out of in a couple of years and learn to deal with the hauling issues?
cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 07:29 PM   #2
alaskanb3arcub
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Bikes: Forest Green Dahon Boardwalk
Posts: 198
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you live? If we have a location it might be easier to arrange a test ride.
alaskanb3arcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 08:32 PM   #3
cinnamon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Origami Cricket, Dahon Curve, and iant Sedona
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanb3arcub View Post
Where do you live? If we have a location it might be easier to arrange a test ride.
I'm in Eugene Oregon and have called all over town. Nobody has them in stock on the floor but they've offered to order one for me. I'd rather not buy one just to find out that it's not going to work, however.
cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 09:46 PM   #4
HGR3inOK 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
... I've looked for a Dahon Curve locally for my 6 (going on 7) year old to try out. There wasn't any Curve in town for her to try. ...
You might try looking for a used Dahon Sweet Pea. It is similar to the Curve, but with 12" tires. A lot of them were pink.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA

Addendum - On our Curve D3 demo (2010?), when the seatpost is at its minimum setting and a pedal is at its lowest point, the distance from the top of the saddle to the pedal is 26.75". When the seatpost is at its minimum setting and the handlpost is at its lowest setting, the distance from the nose of the saddle to the top center of the handlepost is 16.25". Hope this helps.
__________________
DISCLOSURE: I have an ownership interest in a company that is an authorized dealer for Brompton.

Last edited by HGR3inOK; 09-28-13 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Add addendum
HGR3inOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 12:56 PM   #5
cinnamon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Origami Cricket, Dahon Curve, and iant Sedona
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGR3inOK View Post
You might try looking for a used Dahon Sweet Pea. It is similar to the Curve, but with 12" tires. A lot of them were pink.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA

Addendum - On our Curve D3 demo (2010?), when the seatpost is at its minimum setting and a pedal is at its lowest point, the distance from the top of the saddle to the pedal is 26.75". When the seatpost is at its minimum setting and the handlpost is at its lowest setting, the distance from the nose of the saddle to the top center of the handlepost is 16.25". Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this information I will take a look at the Sweet Pea also.
cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-13, 01:24 PM   #6
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
you will only "take a look" at a dahon sweet pea in pics from google. the bike hasnt been made for six years. the current equivalent would be the dahon dove. but, the powers that be (in their infinite wisdom) have decided that the dove is not available in the united states. OEM versions of the dove are available on ebay at stupid prices.

here's a dahon curve for 350 in washington state complete with pink paint job and cute flower applique:

https://skagit.craigslist.org/bik/4042421234.html

this looks like a bike shop seller. perhaps they will be willing to ship it to you.

ps: if this bike doesnt fit your daughter this year, it surely will next year. just buy it. you won't see one like this again (probably).

Last edited by smallwheeler; 09-30-13 at 01:32 PM.
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 05:39 PM   #7
cinnamon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Origami Cricket, Dahon Curve, and iant Sedona
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
you will only "take a look" at a dahon sweet pea in pics from google. the bike hasnt been made for six years. the current equivalent would be the dahon dove. but, the powers that be (in their infinite wisdom) have decided that the dove is not available in the united states. OEM versions of the dove are available on ebay at stupid prices.
Thanks for posting this information! I love the Dahon in the CL link you posted but can't afford that right now. I'm really tempted to call on it however... My daughter would like the flowers on it.

I'll just have to keep an eye out for anything that might work. Thank you again for the info tho.
cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 05:49 PM   #8
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
Thanks for posting this information! I love the Dahon in the CL link you posted but can't afford that right now. I'm really tempted to call on it however... My daughter would like the flowers on it.

I'll just have to keep an eye out for anything that might work. Thank you again for the info tho.
don't let the price stop you from contacting the seller. the price is probably negotiable and/or you might be able to make a lay away type arrangement with him/her. i'm not sure, but i don't think those pinky curves are being produced anymore... jump on it!
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 06:06 PM   #9
cinnamon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Origami Cricket, Dahon Curve, and iant Sedona
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
don't let the price stop you from contacting the seller. the price is probably negotiable and/or you might be able to make a lay away type arrangement with him/her. i'm not sure, but i don't think those pinky curves are being produced anymore... jump on it!
The guy still has it and is going to look into shipping it out for me. We'll see how it progresses.
cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 06:10 PM   #10
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
The guy still has it and is going to look into shipping it out for me. We'll see how it progresses.
that's excellent news! cheers me up
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 07:08 PM   #11
cinnamon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Origami Cricket, Dahon Curve, and iant Sedona
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
that's excellent news! cheers me up
Eeep! I think I will be an owner of a Dahon Curve D3 with pretty pink flowers soon! He's sending his paypal info to me and hopefully it'll be on it's way tomorrow! *happy dance*

That progressed fast.
cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-13, 07:11 PM   #12
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
Eeep! I think I will be an owner of a Dahon Curve D3 with pretty pink flowers soon! He's sending his paypal info to me and hopefully it'll be on it's way tomorrow! *happy dance*
sweetness! that's going to be a really great gift for your daughter..
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 06:10 PM   #13
cinnamon
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Eugene, OR
Bikes: Origami Cricket, Dahon Curve, and iant Sedona
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
sweetness! that's going to be a really great gift for your daughter..
LOOKIE what came today!


Now, I've got a few questions about it from those who might know.

1. It looks like it's missing the little inflater that comes in the seat post. Can I purchase a replacement from Dahon for this?

2. I have no idea what the three... thingies... in the following picture are, can somebody disabuse me of my ignorance?


3. I think the original owner changed some things like the handlebar grips and the kickstand. Also, in the picture of the handlebar grips, you can see an odd blank spot, I'm not sure what that's about:

Kickstand:


Very pleased with this pre-loved purchase. It seems it was stored in a shop of some kind and not used much. There will be a trip to my local bike shop for a once over before it's gifted to DD.

Oh, and I think it's got a three speed internal hub... Never have used one of these before and wowzer, I like eet! This will be perfect for park rides so thank you all so much for the plethora of information you share!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060948a.jpg (100.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg P1060951a.jpg (101.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg P1060953a.jpg (95.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg P1060960s.jpg (103.0 KB, 13 views)
cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 06:19 PM   #14
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,349
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
LOOKIE what came today!


Now, I've got a few questions about it from those who might know.

1. It looks like it's missing the little inflater that comes in the seat post. Can I purchase a replacement from Dahon for this?

2. I have no idea what the three... thingies... in the following picture are, can somebody disabuse me of my ignorance?


3. I think the original owner changed some things like the handlebar grips and the kickstand. Also, in the picture of the handlebar grips, you can see an odd blank spot, I'm not sure what that's about:

Kickstand:


Very pleased with this pre-loved purchase. It seems it was stored in a shop of some kind and not used much. There will be a trip to my local bike shop for a once over before it's gifted to DD.

Oh, and I think it's got a three speed internal hub... Never have used one of these before and wowzer, I like eet! This will be perfect for park rides so thank you all so much for the plethora of information you share!
damn, that was quick!

yes indeed, it does have that sweet internal 3 speed.. remember, that bike is for your daughter!

the thingies on the front are for mounting a bracket that can hold various kinds of bags and accessories. i think the seatpost pump would not have been stock on that model, but you can easily order one online.

edit: on closer inspection, i see what you must mean is that the pump is actually missing from inside the post because it is, in fact, a seatpost pump!




Last edited by smallwheeler; 10-03-13 at 06:50 PM.
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50 AM.