Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Motobecane MB and Brompton FB
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Citizen Barcelona

    My wife was looking at this and was wondering if it would work for her. Does anyone know about this bike and Citizen bikes in general. One of those bikes that you have to order.

    http://www.citizenbike.com/catalog.a...&product_id=22

    We are planning on looking at a used Dahon 3-speed, but my wife likes the look of this better.

    Thanks guys.
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it would be perfect for your wife....

  3. #3
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,677
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the citizen barcelona is a copy of the dahon ciao p8.

    for two hundred more, you get 8 speed nexus hub, suspension seatpost, generator hub front wheel with light, schalbe marathon racer tires, and dahon overall quality which is superior to the citizen bike.

    check it:

    https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/bik/4111864099.html

    Last edited by smallwheeler; 10-13-13 at 10:33 PM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Motobecane MB and Brompton FB
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    the citizen barcelona is a copy of the dahon ciao p8.

    for two hundred more, you get 8 speed nexus hub, suspension seatpost, generator hub front wheel with light, schalbe marathon racer tires, and dahon overall quality which is superior to the citizen bike.

    check it:

    https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/bik/4111864099.html

    Hi smallwheeler

    I saw that one. That would be a great bike for my wife for sure. I just don't have enough do-ra-me to cover it. I'm about $300 short. It's a real beauty all right. I will keep my eye on this one and see how things go.
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  5. #5
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Motobecane MB and Brompton FB
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiamonDog View Post
    I think that it would be perfect for your wife....
    I think so too. I just got put onto a Dahon Ciao P8 for sale in my area, but I'm a bit short to cover the $600 asking price. Even the Barcelona is a tad more than I have but a few weeks of saving on my fixed income could cover it. But in the mean time I will keep my eye on the Ciao and see how things go.
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  6. #6
    BikingYupik BikeKraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Portland Or
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has the Barcelona and likes it very much.
    But I agree that the Ciao is a much, much better deal.
    Besides the list above add that it has a decent kickstand.
    The guppy one they put on the Barcelona is a joke.
    a driver's test is not an IQ test

  7. #7
    Senior Member darukhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago-land
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Wayne,

    Have you considered offsetting the price of either bike (Citizen or Dahon) by selling your first (Camping World? Adventure?) folding bike?

    You might be able to get one or two hundred bucks for it on Craigslist. Posting an ad on Craigslist is free, so it's worth a shot.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Motobecane MB and Brompton FB
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darukhan View Post
    Hey Wayne,

    Have you considered offsetting the price of either bike (Citizen or Dahon) by selling your first (Camping World? Adventure?) folding bike?

    You might be able to get one or two hundred bucks for it on Craigslist. Posting an ad on Craigslist is free, so it's worth a shot.
    I let those Adventure bikes go awhile back now. The company was nice enough to take them back. They had a 90 day return policy and didn't give me any problem whatsoever. Bare in mind, one of them had a defective rear hub.

    I put that money towards a Brompton -- oooo but I'm in debt for the rest. Funny, when I went into the store where they sold me the Brommie, I was there to try the Tern C7. It was my wife that convinced me otherwise. She said you might as well get the better bike and not have regrets down the road. There are times when I really do listen to my wife, and this was one of them. Bless her heart. So I need something for her to ride while I save for a Brommie for her. Hey, it's the least I can do. She's a real sweetheart!!!
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,677
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Pedaling View Post
    I let those Adventure bikes go awhile back now. The company was nice enough to take them back. They had a 90 day return policy and didn't give me any problem whatsoever. Bare in mind, one of them had a defective rear hub.

    I put that money towards a Brompton -- oooo but I'm in debt for the rest. Funny, when I went into the store where they sold me the Brommie, I was there to try the Tern C7. It was my wife that convinced me otherwise. She said you might as well get the better bike and not have regrets down the road. There are times when I really do listen to my wife, and this was one of them. Bless her heart. So I need something for her to ride while I save for a Brommie for her. Hey, it's the least I can do. She's a real sweetheart!!!
    exactly, so you should consider resale value of whatever you buy as a temporary bike. the citizen bike will begin to depreciate as soon as you take it out of the box. you will be lucky to sell it later for 200. meanwhile, the vintage dahon will always be worth at least the price you paid for it. and so would the dahon ciao. but, you dont have the cash for the ciao. my advice (what i would do), is spend the least i could for the most bike i can get. to me, that would be the vintage yellow dahon classic.

  10. #10
    Senior Member darukhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago-land
    Posts
    261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Pedaling View Post
    ....She said you might as well get the better bike and not have regrets down the road. There are times when I really do listen to my wife, and this was one of them. Bless her heart.....
    Take her advice again and take a pass on that Citizen!

    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    exactly, so you should consider resale value of whatever you buy as a temporary bike. the citizen bike will begin to depreciate as soon as you take it out of the box. you will be lucky to sell it later for 200. meanwhile, the vintage dahon will always be worth at least the price you paid for it. and so would the dahon ciao. but, you dont have the cash for the ciao. my advice (what i would do), is spend the least i could for the most bike i can get. to me, that would be the vintage yellow dahon classic.
    This.... what he said! ^^^^^

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    337
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems that you are getting good advice. Give the wife your Brommie on the condition that she let you borrow it when she is not using it while you save $ for one of your own.

  12. #12
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,799
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    exactly, so you should consider resale value of whatever you buy as a temporary bike. the citizen bike will begin to depreciate as soon as you take it out of the box. you will be lucky to sell it later for 200. meanwhile, the vintage dahon will always be worth at least the price you paid for it. and so would the dahon ciao. but, you dont have the cash for the ciao. my advice (what i would do), is spend the least i could for the most bike i can get. to me, that would be the vintage yellow dahon classic.
    Smallwheeler and I don't always agree on bikes, but in this case, since you are looking to get a bike for a short term until you can afford something else, buying used (assuming you can assess the shape of the bike) makes a lot of sense.
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  13. #13
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Motobecane MB and Brompton FB
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDiamonDog View Post
    Seems that you are getting good advice. Give the wife your Brommie on the condition that she let you borrow it when she is not using it while you save $ for one of your own.
    Indeed -- helps keep unity in the home .
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  14. #14
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Motobecane MB and Brompton FB
    Posts
    544
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    Smallwheeler and I don't always agree on bikes, but in this case, since you are looking to get a bike for a short term until you can afford something else, buying used (assuming you can assess the shape of the bike) makes a lot of sense.
    That was indeed my plan. We were hoping to head out and see a vintage dahon 3-speed that was advertised in excellent condition. When I called I found out that both tires were flat and needed both tubes replaced. I told the lady that I can't buy the bike unless I give it a test ride first, and advised her that if she wants to sell it, she needs to make it rideable for people. I think that just went right over her head. She didn't see the need.
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •