Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   There will be no vintage Dahon D3 unfortunately (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/917910-there-will-no-vintage-dahon-d3-unfortunately.html)

Still Pedaling 10-14-13 03:12 PM

There will be no vintage Dahon D3 unfortunately
 
I was going over tonight with my wife to see the vintage Dahon D3 that I posted earlier about. I spoke with the woman who is selling it and she told me that both tubes need to be replaced. I mentioned that my wife would need to ride it first to see if she would like it or not and that if you really want to sell it you have to make it ride-able for people. My wife has tried a few different folding bikes and will not buy one until she tries it first. She tried the Dahon Mariner and the Tern C7 where we bought the Brommie, and she didn't feel comfortable on either. She tried a Brompton SR6 and she absolutely loved it. So I guess she is going to have to wait until I can afford the SR6 for her.

Thank you for all your input and advise guys. I really appreciate it. Hopefully something will come along soon for her.

Cheers
Wayne

fietsbob 10-14-13 03:51 PM

Hear, hear! , I could easily see a "Why is your bike so much nicer than you got Me.. ", Conflict brewing there.

BruceMetras 10-14-13 04:03 PM

If it were me, I'd give the wife the 'in stock' Brompton that she already loves, and go out and buy some cheap entry level folder for myself until I can afford to get another dream bike... much better to have a happy wife riding along with you sharing the joy than not.. lots of cheap folders ride just fine ..

Still Pedaling 10-14-13 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16160668)
Hear, hear! , I could easily see a "Why is your bike so much nicer than you got Me.. ", Conflict brewing there.

:lol: :lol:. Actually, my wife is a gem. She's the type of person that would rather see the other person have rather than herself. Believe me, she has the Brompton at her disposal anytime she wants.

Still Pedaling 10-14-13 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceMetras (Post 16160701)
If it were me, I'd give the wife the 'in stock' Brompton that she already loves, and go out and buy some cheap entry level folder for myself until I can afford to get another dream bike... much better to have a happy wife riding along with you sharing the joy than not.. lots of cheap folders ride just fine ..

Absolutely, even if we did get the vintage Dahon, I would have no problem riding it when we go out together. Like I said in a previous post, the Brommie is hers to ride whenever she desires.

I'm sure another good buy will come along soon.

smallwheeler 10-14-13 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still Pedaling (Post 16160761)
Absolutely, even if we did get the vintage Dahon, I would have no problem riding it when we go out together. Like I said in a previous post, the Brommie is hers to ride whenever she desires.

I'm sure another good buy will come along soon.

a suggestion- you created three different threads about one topic: "a bike for my wife"

better to keep it all in one thread for reference and clarity.

wahoonc 10-15-13 04:05 AM

I would have made a very low ball offer ~$75 range, replaced the tubes and flipped it for $150-$200 if the wife didn't like it.

My theory being that if it has flat tires it ain't in "perfect" condition!

Aaron :)

Still Pedaling 10-15-13 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallwheeler (Post 16160928)
a suggestion- you created thread different threads about one topic: "a bike for my wife"

better to keep it all in one thread for reference and clarity.

I will keep that in mind. I thought that past threads get buried in the pile, so to speak.

Thanks for the heads up.

Still Pedaling 10-15-13 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 16161857)
I would have made a very low ball offer ~$75 range, replaced the tubes and flipped it for $150-$200 if the wife didn't like it.

My theory being that if it has flat tires it ain't in "perfect" condition!

Aaron :)

Yes, that would have been a great idea. I'm now thinking of that, but I foresee a possible problem. There are a number of adds on Craigslist in my local area for folding bikes. All of them are still available and have been on the list for a long time. This tells me that folding bikes are not the thing here -- yet. This place is growing by leaps and bounds and the influx of new residence are on the increase daily. Perhaps these people are coming here with these bikes. I say that because I haven't seen a single soul on the roads here riding one -- except me. Hopefully I will set a trend :). The only store within the entire valley that sells folding bikes is where I purchased my Brommie -- Portapedal Bike. Great idea though. I'll give it some thought.

fietsbob 10-15-13 09:06 AM

I suppose ..
Economics 101 : those earlier ones have been improved upon vastly by what the current offerings are ,

& the owners are still perhaps thinking of them being more valuable than the buyer's market is willing to spend.


and [Like being in a bike touring destination], the snow refugees in their motorhomes
if they were going to buy a folding bike they probably already brought it with them, from up north.

wahoonc 10-15-13 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still Pedaling (Post 16161902)
Yes, that would have been a great idea. I'm now thinking of that, but I foresee a possible problem. There are a number of adds on Craigslist in my local area for folding bikes. All of them are still available and have been on the list for a long time. This tells me that folding bikes are not the thing here -- yet. This place is growing by leaps and bounds and the influx of new residence are on the increase daily. Perhaps these people are coming here with these bikes. I say that because I haven't seen a single soul on the roads here riding one -- except me. Hopefully I will set a trend :). The only store within the entire valley that sells folding bikes is where I purchased my Brommie -- Portapedal Bike. Great idea though. I'll give it some thought.

Ebay? I would pay you $125 plus shipping for it with better pictures, possibly a bit more. That one also has the roller wheel which is usually missing on many of them.

Aaron :)

bhkyte 10-16-13 04:15 AM

One of the reasons why so many folding bikes are available second hand is many people buy cheap folding bikes with too high expectations. Folders usually require higher outlay to get satisfaction.

Many of these people then conclude that the only solution is to buy a brommie for a 1000, or that all small wheeled bike are all poor.

Fortunately some people mange to buy descent folders!!
There are many bikes out there that would work for what many people want. Many cost a lot less than a 1000. Some cost more also.

A good used dahon 20" should be fine as a stop gap for you ,that would not lose value whilst you save up for your birdie, sorry did I say birdie.......

Seriously though, you have done well wayne to get it right first time and get a quality bike that will be cheaper in the long term. I did not do this route as I was not prepared to pay out a lot of cash until I was sure. 389 is still the most I have spent acquiring a folder. But I hate to think how much I have spent in parts over the years. I would not change much if I did it again as I have enjoyed a few unquie bikes along the way, (until cqp started copying my mezzo mods!!!)

Currently I am very happy mainly riding off road on my used Downtube FS9, which cost me 150. Till I get a dahon jetstream cheap............

cpg 10-16-13 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhkyte (Post 16164581)
I would not change much if I did it again as I have enjoyed a few unquie bikes along the way, (until cqp started copying my mezzo mods!!!) .

So you wont be wanting another rolling kit then because it will be the same as my Mezzo ;)

bhkyte 10-16-13 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpg (Post 16164709)
So you wont be wanting another rolling kit then because it will be the same as my Mezzo ;)

Yes I will. Its hard to carry a bike with ones foot in ones mouth!

Still Pedaling 10-17-13 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhkyte (Post 16164727)
Yes I will. Its hard to carry a bike with ones foot in ones mouth!

:lol:! Damn, I almost spilled my coffee.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 PM.