Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Winter is fast approaching -- what are your plans for the folder?

    Many of you live in areas where it snows either a little or a lot. So what are your plans this year for your folder? Are you going to ride it in the snow hook or by crook, or are you going to fold it up and put it away in the closet until spring? I'm guessing that most of you are a hardy lot and will not allow difficult weather conditions to dampen your spirit -- am I right?
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  2. #2
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,907
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://Charles.Plager.net
    http://RecumbentQuant.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post

    . Inspirational!!!
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  4. #4
    weirdo
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    1,958
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My folder is the winter backup. As long as I keep it ready to roll, I can leave the studs on my Schwinn and decide on a daily basis whether to stud or not stud for work. Of course, the studs pretty much keep the snow away- in the three winters I`ve had them it`s snowed a total of about what every year used to bring back when I was unarmed
    Warning: I`ve got a 24t granny ring and I ain`t afraid to use it!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    My folder is the winter backup. As long as I keep it ready to roll, I can leave the studs on my Schwinn and decide on a daily basis whether to stud or not stud for work. Of course, the studs pretty much keep the snow away- in the three winters I`ve had them it`s snowed a total of about what every year used to bring back when I was unarmed
    Man, that bike is a real stud
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me once the snow hits my folder goes into a warm and dry basement. In Toronto they use SALT on the roads here and no salt will be touching my lovely bike! I'll be taking the bus until the snow melts. But last year it didn't snow until December up here so I rode all the way till then. -12C and was still riding with a ski shell, rather do that than hang around in a bus/subway.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azreal911 View Post
    For me once the snow hits my folder goes into a warm and dry basement. In Toronto they use SALT on the roads here and no salt will be touching my lovely bike! I'll be taking the bus until the snow melts. But last year it didn't snow until December up here so I rode all the way till then. -12C and was still riding with a ski shell, rather do that than hang around in a bus/subway.
    Don't blame you. I see the cars that come here from your neck of the woods. Some look they have leprosy. Ever thought about getting an older clunker to ride during the winter and just hose it down if it's been through any salted roads?
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Senior Member Call Me Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Scotland it gets wet and windy in the winter. (Much like the summer actually.) A lot of the time its just cold and bright though. That can be brilliant cycling. So Mr Foldy will continue to be used except for the worst days.

  9. #9
    cpg
    cpg is offline
    Senior Member cpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    My Bikes
    Mezzo I4, Whyte PRST-1, Trek 1200, Dahon Jack, Bickerton
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last winter I rode the Mezzo in favour of my other bikes on days when it was icy or snowy because with no high lever cross bar you stand a slightly better chance of getting of the bike if it slides, assuming you are not travelling too fast.
    Mezzo I4 (converted to dual drive), Whyte PRST-1, Trek 1200, Dahon Jack, Bickerton Portable (upgraded).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    433
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me winter means, brighter/warmer clothing, lights, regular weekly wash downs of my Brompton and no riding when the temperature goes below 3oC or there is snow on the ground.

    This usually equates to about 20-25 days of using the car for my daily commute.

    Jerry
    Last edited by jerrysimon; 10-17-13 at 01:46 AM.
    Brompton M2L (SRAM A2), Brompton M2L(X), Dahon Uno (SRAM A2), Both Swift Xootr & Moulton TSR2 now gone

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fair/wet weather folder goes into storage and the winter folder comes into play.

    I had a real blast cycling in the snow and ice last year, tbh honest I enjoyed it more than the 'good' weather. Less cyclists overall, back roads are generally completely empty, and although the riding wasn't especially hard going it does have at least the trace of adventure about it!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Shumaker View Post
    The fair/wet weather folder goes into storage and the winter folder comes into play.

    I had a real blast cycling in the snow and ice last year, tbh honest I enjoyed it more than the 'good' weather. Less cyclists overall, back roads are generally completely empty, and although the riding wasn't especially hard going it does have at least the trace of adventure about it!
    You make it ALMOST appealing (brrrrr) for this desert rat. I do, though, like the idea of "generally completely empty". Years ago down here in AZ, that was the norm. Once you left the city the roads were all but empty. You could go for miles and miles and rarely see a car. Now, its like rush hour all day long. Years ago the population of the entire Phoenix area was under 1 million, now its around 5 million. They call it progress . At least I can remember how great it was . Now on top of that add the huge influx of snow birds during our winter months errrrrr
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our winters aren't too severe - the last ones have been colder, but even extreme cold here is maybe -4F night and mornings, and 10F during the day. So almost certainly 'mild' weather for many winter cyclists here!

    I think we get the Scottish weather a day after they have it, the nastiest type is moisture-laden winds just above freezing. Those can really grind you down.

    Last winter I the coldest I knowingly cycled in was 10F, not really too onerous but fun - I plan to 'go colder' this year.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My Bikes
    Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno
    Posts
    684
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Pedaling View Post
    Don't blame you. I see the cars that come here from your neck of the woods. Some look they have leprosy. Ever thought about getting an older clunker to ride during the winter and just hose it down if it's been through any salted roads?
    I'd rather not cause it's pretty messy out there once there's snow on the ground i'd have to bring a change of pants also. and with the crappy shovelling those trucks do your road is easily 2 feet narrower on each side of the road during winter which pushes you more into the car lanes.

    Bike don't really take much of a priority uptown and any bike lanes or paths if any are never maintained during winter months.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Azreal911 View Post
    . . . with the crappy shovelling those trucks do your road is easily 2 feet narrower on each side of the road during winter which pushes you more into the car lanes.

    Bike don't really take much of a priority uptown and any bike lanes or paths if any are never maintained during winter months.
    That pretty well eliminates the bike lanes then. Boy, I don't know, all that would make me depressed. No offense, but not being able to get out like I can here would drive me to drink. Hmmm, maybe that's not so bad . Is that why Canadians love their beer so much? I do like your beer though. The last time I remember drinking Canadian suds was a "Moosehead Lager". I remember it tasting great -- and strong, ahhhh!

    By the way, do they maintain some of the off road bike-paths like around your Center Islands, boardwalks and parks? At least you could get in a few rides?
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    293
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does any municipality, anywhere in the world, actually clear cycle paths properly (I imagine perhaps the Netherlands, but I'd love to hear of more)?

  17. #17
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,400
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Disc Brake Bike Friday pocket Llama with its R'off , & dyno hub, is great in the winter..

    [Snow at sealevel is rare on the NW Oregon coast , we get some, here, occasionally, as cold air masses
    can be pushed west, thru the Columbia Gorge, if the weather system is facilitating it. ]

  18. #18
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,488
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We get snow, but most days the roads are clear. So as long as I can stand the cold, I'll keep commuting sporadically on the Birdy.

    I am considering locking a beater bike up overnight at my work-end bus stop, one with studded tires, which would cut down on Birdy use but keep me on a bike.
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    We get snow, but most days the roads are clear. So as long as I can stand the cold, I'll keep commuting sporadically on the Birdy.

    I am considering locking a beater bike up overnight at my work-end bus stop, one with studded tires, which would cut down on Birdy use but keep me on a bike.
    Nothing going to stop you
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

  20. #20
    cpg
    cpg is offline
    Senior Member cpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    My Bikes
    Mezzo I4, Whyte PRST-1, Trek 1200, Dahon Jack, Bickerton
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvis Shumaker View Post
    Does any municipality, anywhere in the world, actually clear cycle paths properly (I imagine perhaps the Netherlands, but I'd love to hear of more)?
    My friend who lives in Finland tells me that in the winter the paths through the parks in Helsinki are cleared of snow, although it doesn't always get done until his commute home at the end of the day.
    Mezzo I4 (converted to dual drive), Whyte PRST-1, Trek 1200, Dahon Jack, Bickerton Portable (upgraded).

  21. #21
    Senior Member Paul Braithwait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Carlisle, in England's Lake District, just a few miles south of the border with Scotland.
    My Bikes
    A Bianchi C2C road bike, a steel framed touring bike and a Xootr Swift folder which has made the rest redundant!
    Posts
    264
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Pedaling View Post
    . Inspirational!!!
    That is the best advert I've seen for a Brompton! Love the fold and the convenience of it.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Blopslee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    n+1
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks!

    love this thread!

    But I have to say that it is making me a bit nervous. I use my folder to ride to a train, commute to another city, then use the folder (and other bikes stored there) for transportation - all of this in the midwest.

    I was hoping to read all kinds of stuff like what one comes across in the winter forum about how it is not bad at all in the winter, it is exciting, challenging, interesting adventure, and so on.

    Any hardcore year-around folder users out there? C'mon! let's hear some tough stuff!! I could use the encouragement right about now.
    Last edited by Blopslee; 10-17-13 at 07:53 PM.

  23. #23
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,760
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blopslee View Post
    Hi Folks!

    love this thread!

    But I have to say that it is making me a bit nervous. I use my folder to ride to a train, commute to another city, then use the folder (and other bikes stored there) for transportation - all of this in the midwest.

    I was hoping to read all kinds of stuff like what one comes across in the winter forum about how it is not bad at all in the winter, it is exciting, challenging, interesting adventure, and so on.

    Any hardcore year-around folder users out there? C'mon! let's hear some touch stuff!! I could use the encouragement right about now.

  24. #24
    cpg
    cpg is offline
    Senior Member cpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    My Bikes
    Mezzo I4, Whyte PRST-1, Trek 1200, Dahon Jack, Bickerton
    Posts
    333
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure thats really useful information smallwheeler, please translate for those of us not fluent in hyroglifics.
    Mezzo I4 (converted to dual drive), Whyte PRST-1, Trek 1200, Dahon Jack, Bickerton Portable (upgraded).

  25. #25
    Senior Member Still Pedaling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Arizona
    My Bikes
    Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    747
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpg View Post
    I am sure thats really useful information smallwheeler, please translate for those of us not fluent in hyroglifics.
    "Let's hear some tough stuff", related by Blopslee. I think smallwheeler is referring to Bruce Lee in his version of hieroglyphics.
    "It's best to remain silent and be thought the fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -- Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •