Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   its a folding pedal Jim, but not as we know it.... its a kickstand pedal (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/924727-its-folding-pedal-jim-but-not-we-know-its-kickstand-pedal.html)

gringo_gus 12-03-13 01:54 PM

its a folding pedal Jim, but not as we know it.... its a kickstand pedal
 
So what do we think of this in the fold ?

anga 12-03-13 02:07 PM

Looks like the Doppelganger pedal stand http://www.doppelganger.jp/en/option/dpd075s_076l/

dynaryder 12-03-13 04:00 PM

Seeing as how the cranks can move freely,I can't see that being especially stable. Fine if you just want the bike to sit for a second,but useless for loading rack/panniers.

fwd-bwd 12-03-13 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by anga (Post 16297818)
Looks like the Doppelganger pedal stand http://www.doppelganger.jp/en/option/dpd075s_076l/

Wellgo is a major OEM pedal supplier. Doggelganger probably bought it from them.

I think most cyclists prefer choosing their own pedals. Instead of a hybrid pedal-kickstand that leaves you with no choice, a kickstand attached to the crank arm seems a better solution (follow the link and scroll down):

http://www.togoparts.com/articles/ar...php?artid=3102

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=353737

BassNotBass 12-03-13 06:24 PM

A very interesting idea. I think it has it's place/uses.

anga 12-03-13 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwd-bwd (Post 16298142)
Wellgo is a major OEM pedal supplier. Doggelganger probably bought it from them.

I think most cyclists prefer choosing their own pedals. Instead of a hybrid pedal-kickstand that leaves you with no choice, a kickstand attached to the crank arm seems a better solution (follow the link and scroll down):

http://www.togoparts.com/articles/ar...php?artid=3102

http://bikeforums.net/attachment.php...hmentid=353737

or vice-versa. Doesn't matter, though. I came across Doppelganger's item a couple of months ago and it is still unavailable.
Any case, who makes the kickstand shown in the photo?

gringo_gus 12-04-13 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anga (Post 16299214)
or vice-versa. Doesn't matter, though. I came across Doppelganger's item a couple of months ago and it is still unavailable.
Any case, who makes the kickstand shown in the photo?

Well, I think the ones on UK ebay are available, from Taiwan - I've bought two sets of pedals from there seems to be ok, v prompt. I think for folders we do have the issue of frame damage when bikes are leaned on something if we are not careful - so for example we get products like this as a consequence. I know this 'solution' isn't going to work with panniered bikes, but do wonder how the pedals function as pedals, as well as how they function as kick stands. I am a sucker for this stuff, but was hoping someone had bought before me.

anga 12-04-13 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringo_gus (Post 16299448)
Well, I think the ones on UK ebay are available, from Taiwan - I've bought two sets of pedals from there seems to be ok, v prompt. I think for folders we do have the issue of frame damage when bikes are leaned on something if we are not careful - so for example we get products like this as a consequence. I know this 'solution' isn't going to work with panniered bikes, but do wonder how the pedals function as pedals, as well as how they function as kick stands. I am a sucker for this stuff, but was hoping someone had bought before me.

Did you get the pedal kickstand or the crank kickstand?
If the latter, can you post a link?

gringo_gus 12-04-13 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anga (Post 16299519)
Did you get the pedal kickstand or the crank kickstand?
If the latter, can you post a link?


Sorry, I wasn't clear - the pedals I bought were both sets of wellgo detachables the ones with the red locking mechanism. I didn't uby the kickstand items. I was just trying to say ordering from Taiwan if you are in the UK seems to work fine. Apologies.

limesub 12-04-13 06:15 AM

I have been wondering about these for a while, after catching a glimpse of them on the Doppelganger website (for some reason I am lusting after the 530 Cityhopper model :) - I like its vaguely Tyrell looking frame).

A quick Google search showed them to be a Wellgo C193. Just bought a set of eBay... I will see how they go!

fwd-bwd 12-04-13 01:58 PM

Alumiforce (Wei Fun) CoolStand
http://www.alumiforce.com/?p=113
http://www.wf-cnc.com/?p=113

Also sold as Acor ASK-21102
http://acorsports.com/products_detai...i_products=724

mconlonx 12-04-13 02:42 PM

If I wanted a kickstand, I'd have a kickstand; since I don't, I lean the bike up against something or lay it down on the ground. Unless this came on a used bike, I'd not actively seek one out; this would not be something to sway a sale in my favor; I'm guessing I'd most likely not use it even if it was on a bike I had.

Only appealing aspect of this to me would be taking pix of my bike standing upright with no super-obvious means of support for online "WTF?" comments. Worth something, but not the cost or weight of that thing.

anga 12-08-13 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limesub (Post 16299555)
I have been wondering about these for a while, after catching a glimpse of them on the Doppelganger website (for some reason I am lusting after the 530 Cityhopper model :) - I like its vaguely Tyrell looking frame).

A quick Google search showed them to be a Wellgo C193. Just bought a set of eBay... I will see how they go!

let us know how it works out

fusilierdan 12-08-13 06:55 PM

99 GBP wow! That's 159 USD. 1/3 of the cost of my Dahon Speed D7

limesub 12-09-13 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusilierdan (Post 16312902)
99 GBP wow! That's 159 USD. 1/3 of the cost of my Dahon Speed D7

Ahhh... But it is eBay and I hope you do not buy the first one (of anything) you see! There are always multiple sellers of the same item, you just have to search to find the best value.

BeginnerCycling 12-10-13 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusilierdan (Post 16312902)
99 GBP wow! That's 159 USD. 1/3 of the cost of my Dahon Speed D7

^^^This -- a bit pricey for a kickstand.

KlibanQat 12-10-13 10:38 PM

I put enough stress on my cranks in regular use that adding the stresses of holding the bicycle upright do not seem like a good idea.

dynaryder 12-11-13 04:22 PM

How much do you weigh? How much does the bike weigh?

I guarantee standing up and mashing on the pedals puts far more stress on the cranks than holding up the weight of just the bike.

fietsbob 12-11-13 04:30 PM

I see pictures of people putting their bike helmet on the ground and using the pedal on top of it
for the same effect.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:09 AM.