Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 55 of 55
  1. #51
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,982
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schlumpf being way expensive, and Hammerschmidt needing ISCG mounting tabs at the BB, anyone ever use or think about installing one of these?:



    This is the 2sp Metropolis to which I referred previously, 1:1 and 1:1.6 ratios -- 28T chainring standard; equivalent of 45t chainring in overdrive. I'm seeing it online for $299.00 retail, as low as $225 ebay.

    Unlike auto or back-pedal shifting, this does complicate matters a bit with handlebar mounted shifter and cable/housing setup.
    Last edited by mconlonx; 02-07-14 at 09:22 AM.
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  2. #52
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,769
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCycle View Post
    Do 20" wheels require special sized hubs? Could you theoretically trick out a Mu Uno with a 3, 8 or 11 speed hub?
    Most folders have narrower than normal front hubs,but in the rear it depends on the frame's rear spacing. Most 8+ speed hubs require 135mm,but Sturmey-Archer makes a narrow one specifically for folders/small wheel bikes.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  3. #53
    Bicycle Rights MattCycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Most folders have narrower than normal front hubs,but in the rear it depends on the frame's rear spacing. Most 8+ speed hubs require 135mm,but Sturmey-Archer makes a narrow one specifically for folders/small wheel bikes.
    hmm I just assumed that the mu uno had 7 or 8 speed spacing. but diameter isn't an issue? i.e. 20" wheels also have correspondingly smaller diameter hubs.

  4. #54
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,769
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCycle View Post
    hmm I just assumed that the mu uno had 7 or 8 speed spacing. but diameter isn't an issue? i.e. 20" wheels also have correspondingly smaller diameter hubs.
    Just the angle of the spokes when building the wheel. Properly done it's not an issue. My old FlyBy had a Nexus 8 and the frame looked similar to the Mu's. There are plenty of EOM and custom folders running IGH's.

    Measure the space between the rear dropouts to see what will fit,and just make sure the wheel is built right.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  5. #55
    Bicycle Rights MattCycle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Newport Beach, CA
    Posts
    80
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    Just the angle of the spokes when building the wheel. Properly done it's not an issue. My old FlyBy had a Nexus 8 and the frame looked similar to the Mu's. There are plenty of EOM and custom folders running IGH's.

    Measure the space between the rear dropouts to see what will fit,and just make sure the wheel is built right.
    that makes sense. i was just fielding the possibility of a Mu Ocho.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •