Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Newark, NJ
    My Bikes
    2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2011 Mercier Nano, 80s Lotus 10 speed heavily modified
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P7HVN View Post
    Doesn't have a mushy feel at all. The front is tuned soft enough that you can easily feel the suspension, just pushing down on the bars. The back wheel is tuned stiffer tho', and only reacts to harsher hits. I'll be riding it around a lot more this weekend, so will follow up next week. Also, I found, after several hours of different online searches, a new leftover Bully for sale. Shop wants $450 for it, so might pull the trigger....
    I hope it works out, its just too bad those loop wheels don't have disc mounts.

  2. #27
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,083
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    30 years of using them.

    Drum brakes work well enough, just wont necessarily fling you over the bars, when you grab the levers.

  3. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Newark, NJ
    My Bikes
    2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2011 Mercier Nano, 80s Lotus 10 speed heavily modified
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    30 years of using them.

    Drum brakes work well enough, just wont necessarily fling you over the bars, when you grab the levers.
    Its just a shame because the Bully frame he might get is one of the very few frames made specificly to accomidate disc brakes on 20" wheels and from personal experience I love disc brakes on small wheels they are wildly aggresive, you really have to learn to slide backwards past the seat. I'm sure the drum brakes work fine, then again I think that way too many people are ok with grossly inadequate brakes, most brakes are good as long as they are properly setup and well serviced.

  4. #29
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    3,083
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my bike friday Pocket Llama has BB7 discs ..



    my S-A drum brake wheels reside in the 26" Snow Cat rims wearing the studded tires ..

    Both are fit for purpose .. V brake levers work as would the Old Campag road levers I used when

    I had Nitto Mustache bars on It,



    these pages indicate lots skipped over learning mechanics ,
    but jumped into buying Electronic widgets with Both feet.

  5. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Coastal GA
    My Bikes
    Fuji Comp 29r, Downtube, Tommi Sea fat bike, Nashbar SS 29r half-fat, Full suspension mini-velo/MTB, Loopwheel M-Velo
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the look of disc brakes on 20"ers, or any bicycle for that matter. Just think it's a cleaner look than V-brakes & such. However, with these wheels I do like the drum brakes; highlights the design of the wheel more. They're a bit more effort to stop than good discs, but that's also okay with me. I like brakes that have performance proportionate to pressure, i.e.- grab a hard handful of brake to stop fast & little effort to stop slowly. I've had a few supermoto motorcycles that were capable of easily lifting the rear wheel, at speed, with just 1 or 2 finger pressure and it's a little disconcerting, especially if you're surprised by something and grab a little more brake than required... These drum brakes stop pretty quickly, but won't lock up unless I intentionally do so...

  6. #31
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    6,220
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    these pages indicate lots skipped over learning mechanics ,
    but jumped into buying Electronic widgets with Both feet.
    Fortunately,the law doesn't require us to check with you before doing anything.

    P7HVN,make your own Southern Comfort commercial.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L

  7. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Newark, NJ
    My Bikes
    2011 Origin 8 Bully, 2010 Dahon Silvertip, 2011 Mercier Nano, 80s Lotus 10 speed heavily modified
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P7HVN View Post
    I do like the look of disc brakes on 20"ers, or any bicycle for that matter. Just think it's a cleaner look than V-brakes & such. However, with these wheels I do like the drum brakes; highlights the design of the wheel more. They're a bit more effort to stop than good discs, but that's also okay with me. I like brakes that have performance proportionate to pressure, i.e.- grab a hard handful of brake to stop fast & little effort to stop slowly. I've had a few supermoto motorcycles that were capable of easily lifting the rear wheel, at speed, with just 1 or 2 finger pressure and it's a little disconcerting, especially if you're surprised by something and grab a little more brake than required... These drum brakes stop pretty quickly, but won't lock up unless I intentionally do so...
    Cool man, as long as you like them cause thats all that really matters. You have the makings of a really unique little bike. Keep trying crap and keep going until it is just what you want. I'm just happy to see you making a mini velo and try things even if they aren't guaranteed to work out the first time.

  8. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

    Now that's it's been a few months how are you getting on with those wheels?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •