Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Titanium Swift frame, anyone interested? (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/930714-titanium-swift-frame-anyone-interested.html)

mark03 01-29-14 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 16449120)
I was forwarded to Peter Reich who said this particular vintage Swift frame was made from thinner tubing which could lead to the crack I have (and was posted by someone earlier some years ago).

Thanks jur, that's great news indeed, because I am just about ready to start building my own aluminum-framed Swift. Wouldn't want to think the frame had "issues"... although I suppose this means I am unlikely to get the bike as light as yours ;)

kraftwerk 01-29-14 11:23 AM

Jur,
After distilling much of the information available on the "folding bike forums" over the years I always wondered how it was a Ti-Frame was NOT commercially available as a folding bike. I am curious about your project and where ever you have one built, it will be pricey. I would imagine it could get cheaper to have 5 or 10 built since there are questions of frame jig-set up and bulk-pricing, though I would be a bit skeptical about a Chinese-made quality Ti frame. It would be hard to do 'quality control' from overseas and determine the exact type of titanium tubing which would be used, welds etc. Also as much as I like the Swift design: I would also consider a "Folding Twenty" style ti-frame, preferable made in the USA. ( BTW: The guy slamming Bike Friday's should take a step back and look at who is actually building the brand of frame he has chosen to ride: What is their wage and how good is the quality of frame built by under paid/ under duress worker? Will they replace his frame when it breaks? )
Anyway, it looks like the project/subject you have raised might be a mute point since the good people at Swift stand by their product. I encourage you to weigh your old frame and compare it to the new one. I would love to know the weight difference of the new Swift and the old Swift. I think you will be surprised.

Thanks Jur!]
Always appreciate your information and experience on this forum.

jur 01-29-14 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraftwerk (Post 16450201)
Jur,
After distilling much of the information available on the "folding bike forums" over the years I always wondered how it was a Ti-Frame was NOT commercially available as a folding bike. I am curious about your project and where ever you have one built, it will be pricey. I would imagine it could get cheaper to have 5 or 10 built since there are questions of frame jig-set up and bulk-pricing, though I would be a bit skeptical about a Chinese-made quality Ti frame. It would be hard to do 'quality control' from overseas and determine the exact type of titanium tubing which would be used, welds etc. Also as much as I like the Swift design: I would also consider a "Folding Twenty" style ti-frame, preferable made in the USA. ( BTW: The guy slamming Bike Friday's should take a step back and look at who is actually building the brand of frame he has chosen to ride: What is their wage and how good is the quality of frame built by under paid/ under duress worker? Will they replace his frame when it breaks? )
Anyway, it looks like the project/subject you have raised might be a mute point since the good people at Swift stand by their product. I encourage you to weigh your old frame and compare it to the new one. I would love to know the weight difference of the new Swift and the old Swift. I think you will be surprised.

Thanks Jur!]
Always appreciate your information and experience on this forum.

There are a few Ti commercial folders out there, eg the Hasa F1 is available here for $3.8k. It has some good looking steering part implementations.

The place I contacted is titanproducts.com. Sight only. I have bought a Ti Brompton seatpost from them before.

Good call on comparing the old and new frame weight. I expect very little difference, Al is so light, perhaps a few 100g.

mconlonx 01-29-14 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraftwerk (Post 16450201)
...who is actually building the brand of frame he has chosen to ride: What is their wage and how good is the quality of frame built by under paid/ under duress worker? Will they replace his frame when it breaks?

Well... Jur is going to find out all about this, going through the warranty process with Swift in order to hopefully get a replacement frame of questionable quality built by under paid / under durress workers. :rolleyes: :notamused:

kraftwerk 02-07-14 12:15 PM

Jur,

Let us know if you go ahead with the ti-Swift I might be interested.

fietsbob 02-07-14 01:54 PM

google of " titanproducts.com" . does not come up Titanium, referring to the metal..

but a Titan company with products


got the actual Link a non rusting seat post for the Brommy interests Me..



aluminum over a Carbon fiber tube epoxy bonded , is also an interesting Option

if it accepts 14 st in the saddle..

jur 02-07-14 04:27 PM

Their aliexpress store is

aliexpress.com/store/705853

The Brompton post is
aliexpress.com/store/product/Titanium-Seat-Post-31-8mm-540mm-with-Measurement-Mark/705853_600072660.html

I am very satisfied with mine.

dynaryder 02-07-14 04:39 PM

How long did it take for your post to come in? I've been tossing around the idea of getting one of the Ti ones off eBay,but these are much cheaper.

jur 02-07-14 05:08 PM

My mistake, it is titanproduct.com without the s.

jur 02-07-14 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dynaryder (Post 16476933)
How long did it take for your post to come in? I've been tossing around the idea of getting one of the Ti ones off eBay,but these are much cheaper.

It took about 10 days. They seem to have some sort of escrow service in place, aliexpress, because from the moment it was delivered, they started to ask me to confirm the delivery, so that titanproduct.com could be paid.

fietsbob 02-07-14 05:19 PM

Too bad its a zero set back head, the pentaclip off the back, and the saddle shoved back work .

no setback wont..

guess I can pester them about a 22.2 top aluminum post, telescope - sleeve arrangement..

jur 02-07-14 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraftwerk (Post 16476005)
Jur,

Let us know if you go ahead with the ti-Swift I might be interested.

I think they will be back at work this Monday, they had their new year break. I hope to hear from Anita Zhang on Monday.

jur 02-07-14 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 16477038)
Too bad its a zero set back head, the pentaclip off the back, and the saddle shoved back work .

no setback wont..

guess I can pester them about a 22.2 top aluminum post, telescope - sleeve arrangement..

They have some other seatpost arrangements as well, they seem willing to make custom ones. 10 moq, so perhaps we could get a group buy off the ground because I also am interested in more setback. I just took some pics of mine to show the maximum setback with a Brooks, wait a moment for me to get the pics up.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K...d/DSC_0262.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-k...o/DSC_0263.JPG

jastle 02-11-14 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 16477063)
I just took some pics of mine to show the maximum setback with a Brooks, wait a moment for me to get the pics up.

@jur - did you make the clamp on this seatpost? A neat idea -- with the bits well visible. Is it holding the saddle well? No rotation? (re: first photo, half circle clamp)

jur 02-11-14 04:38 PM

That's a standard current saddle clamp design. I haven't had it move. There is room for improvement on that design - the hole through the post for the rod holding the bolts should be as close to parallel as possible to the seat rails.

The company still has not gotten back to me regarding the frame quote. Not sure if they are back from New Year or not.

jur 02-15-14 06:16 AM

I received the replacement frame in the mail yesterday. Now to find some time to move all the parts over.

The new frame is 2.6kg, just the 2 main parts. More than I thought. I will measure the old frame once I have stripped it.

jur 03-18-14 05:30 PM

I have got the new Swift all built up and weighed the old frame. Came to a total of 2.0kg, so there is 0.6kg difference between the two. More than I thought. My scales are not that accurate though, it goes in 0.2kg increments.

jur 03-18-14 05:35 PM

Back to the titanium Swift:

I got a quote from the company to produce a Swift frame in titanium, to US$1200. A matching fork in titanium would be $200. Postage is on top of that.

It seems an acceptable amount to me. I do not have permission from Peter Reich to go beyond one frame, so if there are any takers to investigate a group buy, I will go through Peter to see how we will work this out. I am not interested in making any money out of this, I have a good job, so cost price only. Any profits from a group buy would go to Peter.

mconlonx 03-18-14 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jur (Post 16590173)
Back to the titanium Swift:

I got a quote from the company to produce a Swift frame in titanium, to US$1200. A matching fork in titanium would be $200. Postage is on top of that.

It seems an acceptable amount to me. I do not have permission from Peter Reich to go beyond one frame, so if there are any takers to investigate a group buy, I will go through Peter to see how we will work this out. I am not interested in making any money out of this, I have a good job, so cost price only. Any profits from a group buy would go to Peter.

What kind of timeframe? All paid up front? I am 95% sure I will have to pass on this opportunity, but still 5% curious...

jur 03-18-14 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mconlonx (Post 16590210)
What kind of timeframe? All paid up front? I am 95% sure I will have to pass on this opportunity, but still 5% curious...

At this stage timeframe is undetermined; the next stage, should I go ahead, is for them to produce drawings based on my sketches, and after approval of those drawings, for them to manufacture. I imagine it might take a month or two, if they are not terribly busy. About payment, when I bought a Brompton seatpost from them, it went through escrow - I received the post, OK'ed it, and then they got the money from the holder. So I guess that means upfront, yes, but only once the manufacture is completed, so again after a month or two from now.

mconlonx 03-18-14 06:21 PM

What kind of brakes? And are you still going with an extended tt?

jur 03-18-14 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mconlonx (Post 16590286)
What kind of brakes? And are you still going with an extended tt?

I only need road brakes with 451 wheels, so I wasn't considering V-brakes but I suppose that can be added. Or perhaps disc?

I added 25mm to the top tube.

degrelle 03-24-14 07:51 AM

Swift Folder/ Titanium Frame
 
I'm going to see Peter Reich in a couple of weeks, so I will mention the Titanium frame idea to him. I might be interested too if it makes sense ...

kraftwerk 03-31-14 01:43 PM

Jur, That actually sounds like a pretty good deal. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

jur 03-31-14 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by degrelle (Post 16605799)
I'm going to see Peter Reich in a couple of weeks, so I will mention the Titanium frame idea to him. I might be interested too if it makes sense ...

He is fully up to speed with the idea already. I have discussed it with him and obtained permission. His interest was also peaked by the amount I was quoted.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:58 PM.